finally started

boxing. How often should i spar if i want to get skilled in a reasonable amount of time while keeping my brain functioning properly? I train mon-wed-fri. Mixing up sparring on each of those days with speedbag, heavy bag, double ended bag and showdowboxing rounds is cool right? How about if everyone else's skill level is way above mine? (which is true in this case)

I would recommend that you train 4 - 5 days a week and spar two, with one day rest from sparring in between. So if you train M - F you should spar Tuesday and Thrusday and work on extra conditioning Saturday. Saturday can be your day to concentrate on speed if that is what your lack or a day to take a looong run if you are more in need of endurance training.

buddie

Thanks buddie

you are welcome let us know how it goes.

buddie

I second Buddie's advice. Honestly there is another way to do it too. If you can find three or four experienced people who will WORK WITH YOU, in other words you can spar light with them and not have to worry about them gunning for you, once you develop a certain skill level you can spar 4 times a week. Keep in mind we're not talking all out sparring.

Word of advice; work your jab. Get very very good with your jab and get good with your defense before you start sparring. I would recommend doing bag and pad training and conditioning for 2 or 3 months before getting into the ring. And when you do start sparring make it someone that you can trust and spar once a week for the first two or three weeks. Best of luck.

Mark