? for SBG guys

Hello,
A few months ago, I had the pleasure of attending one of Matt's seminars. He introduced to the "I" training method, which I am having a lot of success with. My question is, my technical movements are lacking quite a bit. I was wondering if I should concentrate more on the Introduction and Isolation phases until the movement becomes as near to technically perfect as I can make it, or should I still go to the intergration phase and hope that it will work itself out over time?
Thanks,
Jason

My question is, my technical movements are lacking quite a bit.

Jason,
How about an example of where you feel that your technical knowledge is holding you back?

Hi Jason,

I hear you on the seminar, and 'I' method. What seminar was it?

Regards the 'I' method, I am sure beyond any doubt that the 'I' method when done correctly is the absolute best way to gain highly technical performance skill. So I think you where right on the money in that you may not be mixing the dill time, or drill type, up as well as you can yet. With a little help and info I am sure you can fix that.

The key to the 'I' method is in knowing how to do that (mix the resistance, type, and time in drill) correctly for individual athletes, and personality types.

You will hear people speak of mass repetitions without resistance, and others speak about 'sparring', or 'roll time'; debating and aurguing the merits of both. But the fact of the matter is that there is no reason why you cannot train both at the same time, and most of the time. And in doing so achieve far better results. It is the most precise and effective way to help create highly technical athletes. You just have to know how.

I plan on making the 'how' a big part of series 3, which we are filming this Fall. It's actually fairly easy to explain, demonstrate, and show.

Once that is done it is just a matter of the athlete testing it themselves through methods of experiental learning. In so doing they will see that the 'I' method will supply far better results as compared to mass amounts of repetition, or rolling time.

Then it will up to the one who see's, reads, or hears it. Will they try it? If they do it will be self evident. But even then some people may be so self identified with previous training methods that they will stick with their older patterns. And that is cool as well. If you heart (intentions*) are not on pure, technical performance, then your on a different journey anyway.

Regards your question. . .I would suggest Aaron's feedback. List specificly what you are having trouble with, and I am sure Aaron, and many others familiar with this, or with the Gym, will be happy to help you.

take care
www.straightblastgym.com

Hi Matt,
It was in Reno, not this last time(I jacked my shoulder up at Randy's seminar real bad the week before) but the time before. Two real quick examples are my armbar from mount, I can pull it off every once and a while, but my spin into it sucks and I end up taking an ass dive like three feet off the ground when I fall into it. Another is getting back to guard from the bottom side mount, I just can't seem to get my hips out enough to get back to guard before he closes in on me. I have had these explained and taught to me time and time again and my instructor is really a good instructor, but I just can't seem to get the movements right.
Thanks,
Jason

Grundy Wrote: "I was wondering if I should concentrate more on the Introduction and Isolation phases until the movement becomes as near to technically perfect as I can make it, or should I still go to the intergration phase and hope that it will work itself out over time? Thanks, Jason "

I know exactly what you mean. Just began learning the clinch and ground game with 'JKDRonin'. Just this Monday I got so frustrated with myself whenever I could not perform the techniques with a resisting opponent. It bothered me so much I began to think I should not roll and pummel with my classmates until I repeated the technique enough times where I could get it down.

But my coach and classmates were great and very supportive. During a pummel I would only work one technique as my partner worked all of his movements resisting each other the entire time. The mix of drill and resistance made me feel a lot better and more confident.

-Wilson

Function dictates form.

The I Method is not linear in practice, only in theory. It was not designed to be. Aliveness itself will create the best training methods and as such they will be organic, dynamic, and living.

The I Method cycles and is to be cycled through gauges of progressive resistance measured directly by those working within its format and a coach or exterior witness/ observer to those exchanging in the process.

So...

The I Method is the working self-coaching grid over the process that is learning anything that involves timing, energy and motion in space, place and time.

gotta go,

-Luis

www.straightblastgym.com

www.onedragon.com

Luis captured the whole essence of the 'I' method there in one simple post. . .a must save.

"Two real quick examples are my armbar from mount, I can pull it off every once and a while, but my spin into it sucks and I end up taking an ass dive like three feet off the ground when I fall into it."

Review your technique. . .introduction stage. And make sure it's clean, sharp, and correct. Put in a few reps, and then have a partner on bottom slowly add more and more resistance. Start in a high climb, where your armbar is almost on. . .and then work your way backwards to a regular mount. Take a half hour or so for this, and then go back and see where you are at. If you train this correctly your armbar should improve dramaticly. Especially when compared to other methods such as doing tons of 'reps' with no resistance, or just trying to 'roll' through it.

"Another is getting back to guard from the bottom side mount, I just can't seem to get my hips out enough to get back to guard before he closes in on me."

I would have to see what you are doing. There may be a technical answer that will help you. . .but it may also simply be 'timing'. That is, your technique may be perfect, but the timing still gets you. IE: A blue belt versus a brown belt, and due to mat time the blue belt cannot stop the brown belts pass, that's called 'timing'. And it is why BJJ works the way it does. As Rickson has said, knowledge of technique yes, but Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is about timing.

Shrimp, then work shrimps. . .and when your done with that, work more shrimps.

This is something you will be working 20 Years. There are NO advanced techniques in any functional Art. Just fundamentals. I work on shrimps myself. We all do.

www.straightblastgym.com

Thanks y'all,
Time to work. "Shrimp, then work shrimps. . .and when your done with that, work more shrimps." Heh I remember that from the seminar

Thanks for the help,
Jason

No worries Jason.

Also, when working on submissions I think it's always a good idea to start in the perfect, and almost finished position, and then work backwards. It's far less frustarting. . .especially for athletes that are hard on themselves. And it will produce great results.

In addition, you can break a sub down into three, four, or five different parts, and then isolate each part with progressive resistance. That will produce an incredible amount of technical detail on all sorts of levels. And the timing-motion-energy element is always present. So it's a fully Alive drill.

Enjoy the day
www.straightblastgym.com