For those picking Colby over Usman, how do you see him winning?

My thoughts exactly. Colby brings a pace and pressure that can drag Usman all five rounds. I see Usman catching Colby early but if it goes past three rounds, I would take Colby.

1 Like

Colby needs to set down on his punches when he has the opportunity, needs to manage his distance well, and counter cleanly after he makes Kam miss. Basically just needs sharper and more effective classic boxing. Mas was insinuating the same when he was talking about how Colby will never have power, i think.

Clearest path to victory to me. If he can implement kicks, probably focusing on the legs, without getting taken down, if they actually do something, and won’t make him gas, that will help. If he can implement wrestling without gassing, that should help.

Kamaru can be kod, he doesn’t roll with punches too well, so I think colby could rattle him if he lands enough good shots and I don’t think he’ll adjust great to it. Just based on how I think he reacts in certain situations and in the first fight.

He wasn’t complaining about the right. Watch Usman’s left that you edited out.

10 Likes

I’m rooting for Colby. But Usman has definitely gotten better. I hope Colby wins. I just don’t see how he can do it. Usman is a freak. Even if I don’t care for him.

Colby should do a similar gameplan to the 1st fight but shoot for takedowns whenever an opening appears and mix it up a little more

People that don’t like Colby say it’s poetic justice that he talked so much and Usman broke his jaw, that story is said a million times in comment sections and live chats and his response to change that is to say he never had his jaw broken

3 Likes

So did he had broken jaw or some sort of misaligned?
Rooting for colby, but usman rly improved
And colby did hurt him in the first fight, that coused usman to back up, a few times

1 Like

looks like a jab to me

1 Like

They both threw simultaneous jabs, Colby in southpaw. Their arms crossed which sent Usman’s left going up at a weird angle and his fingers into Colby’s eye. Wasn’t an eye gouge, but Colby did get poked.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 20-14-54 UFC 268 Free Fight Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington 1 - YouTube

5 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

1 Like
1 Like

By not being a virgin

i think the size (including reach) is just enough of an advantage for Usman to win. that’s how close the match up is. would love to see Colby shock the world and call out Khamzat. The shit talking would be erection inducing.

1 Like

A closed fist isn’t considered an eye-poke in any way. It’s a punch to the eye.

1 Like

I do think Colby could have outpaced Usman in the first fight, and he does have an argument that Usman stole momentum with the body kick he played off as a groin strike. It’s possible he might have taken over if that didn’t happen.

Problem is I believe we will see a much more composed Usman in this fight. First fight he fought emotionally – there was a lot more of a political aspect, and that led to him wanting to prove something. In this fight, that element is gone. He’s not likely going to match Colby strike for strike, and more likely going to set things up more intelligently. He has a marked power advantage, so if he uses good movement and sets up his strikes instead of going tit for tat with Colby, this could be a relatively short fight. Usman has probably the best coach in the game for this sort of gameplan as well.

Reminds me of James Irvin losing his fight against Sakara after eating a clean punch but covering up and calling a time out because he thought he was poked in the eye.

1 Like

The rules don’t say anything about pokes. They specify what a gouge is. A legal strike can poke your eye, but it’s not a gouge.

I fucken cant stand Colby.

2 Likes

Tough fight to bet on, but
I don’t see Colby beating usman unless the champ is way off his game.
Not sure I could stomach Colby and his gimmick as champ. It’s already 360’d the shark. What’s next?

1 Like

Correct. Just commentators, referees, fighters, and fans refer to what the rules call ‘eye gouging’ as eye pokes. Rules as written are as follows:

2. Eye gouging of any kind:
Eye gouging by means of fingers, chin, or elbow is illegal. Legal strikes or punches that contact the fighter’s eye socket are not eye gouging and shall be considered legal attacks.

1 Like

I don’t think Colby can hurt Kamaru. We know Kamaru can hurt Colby.

Volume striking (Colby’s style) will put Colby consistently in range for counters. And those will hurt.

Covington is going to wrestle this weekend. And I think that makes this even more interesting.

1 Like