MMA Underground Forums

Frank Mir = Good for the sport

Good to see Frank involved. Having him as a commentator is a good addition to the WEC. Was he always one of thier commentators?

He's good calling fights no doubt but "I'll rip his arm off if thats what the fans want to see" after breaking Sylvia's arm is not really good for the sport IMO.

From ufcjunkie.com

Reports: Frank Mir Scratched from UFC 74 Bout with Tim Sylvia

Frank MirTim Sylvia is still expected to fight at UFC 74 in August, but according to recent reports, it won’t be against his fellow former champion Frank Mir.

The two former UFC heavyweight title-holders were expected to battle on UFC 74’s main card on Aug. 25. However, according to the Wrestling Observer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission stepped in and said Mir wasn’t ready to face someone of Sylvia’s caliber. Keith Kizer, the NSAC executive director, made the decision after he factored in Mir’s poor showing against Brandon Vera at UFC 65.

Mir hasn’t fought since that 69-second TKO loss seven months ago. He was slated to face Antoni Hardonk at UFC Fight Night 9 in April but eventually pulled out of the bout with a shoulder injury.

Considering the extent of some past UFC mismatches, the NSAC’s decision to step in with this particular case does seem odd. Assuming Mir, a Las Vegas native, is declared physically fit to compete, should the NSAC then be allowed to step and decide which opponents are suitable?

The bigger question, though, is what’s next for Sylvia. The former champ, who was defeated by Randy Couture at UFC 68 in March, has been vocal about his perceived mistreatment by the UFC. Saying he’s been “kicked around” by the UFC since joining the organization in 2002, Sylvia has been pushed aside as the UFC’s heavyweight division experiences an influx of talent. UFC president Dana White has made no comments about when — if ever — Sylvia may get a chance to reclaim his belt.

Regardless, a win at UFC 74 would be a requirement. Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait to find out a possible opponent.

For the latest fight card card, check out the UFC 74 Rumors section of UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com).

^thats ok, looks like it wasn't going anywhere anyway. I think Mir is off the card now. Injury???

Mir is always teasing us!! I would love yo a healthy well trained Mir back in the picture, doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

Sounds like BS.

I think he did a good job last night.

if HBO gets any fights Mir should get the color work. i have always liked when he did commentary work.

He broke Sylvia's arm, was champ at one time, and he's not qualified for this match?? WTF???

I'd bet on Sylvia but this is certainly NOT a mismatch.

He's pretty good commentating. He gives great insights and describes well what's going on, what's sunk in or not, what the fighter has to do to escape, etc.

He needs to be more supportive of the winning fighter for the post fight interview though. You have to make the winner look good, "push him up". Besides that he's certainly very good behind the mic.