Frevola out at UFC on ESPN 11 due to corner test

UFC lightweight Matt "The Steamrolla" Frevola from Serra-Longo MMA is out of his fight at UFC on ESPN 11 on Saturday night, after teammate and cornerman, UFC featherweight Billy Quarantillo, tested positive for COVID-19. Although Frevola passed two subsequent tests, out of an abundance of caution, he will not be allowed to fight. 

Frevola announced the unfortunate news on his social network.

"The UFC has pulled me from my fight due to one of my cornerman testing positive for COVID-19," he wrote. "We did everything possible to make this fight happen. They tested me twice and both results came back negative. I also provided proof of my positive antibodies test from April 30th, but the UFC did not want any liability or to risk it. Being that there is a lack of knowledge on the incubation period and still so many unknowns regarding COVID-19, they decided to pull me because of the two positive test results from my teammate and brother, Billy Q. He’s been a huge help and source of support throughout camp and I have no hard feelings. He is 100% healthy at the moment and feels fine, so he must be asymptomatic.

"This is a Crazy situation and everything happens for a reason. I am on weight and prepared to the fullest. I was really excited for this fight with Frank and told him if they find him a new opponent for Saturday I will be rooting for him. If not, I’m willing to rebook this fight ASAP or whenever he wants. I’m sorry to everyone who was excited to watch me fight and supports me along this journey, I really felt the love.

"Can’t believe I’m the first fighter to get two fights canceled due to this virus (without even having it) but I know it has effected a lot more lives in worse ways. Figuring out the next move from here and will keep moving forward, that’s what we do! Should be booked to fight again ASAP and hope the UFC continues to take care of me."

Frevola's originally scheduled opponent Frank Camacho now fights newcomer Justin Jaynes.

Billy Quarantino

1 Like

Camacho vs. Jaynes will probably end early. They both have finishing rates of about 80%. 

Let 'me bang, bro.

Quarantillo just fought a couple of weeks ago. He could've infected a lot of people.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/06/ufc-on-espn-11-cornerman-billy-quarantillo-discusses-positive-covid-19-test-40-hour-drive-home

Looks like UFC is taking care of Frevola.

Guessing he Is getting show money, took care of his medical situation and still are, plus offered to put him up in an airbnb. I agree UFC should get shit for paying fighters under 20% at this point but at same time, important to praise them when they do the right thing like this so props to them and hope Frevola gets paid, Billy get healthy and both are back on a card soon.