Furey or Hatmaker

"He might have just seen someone else do them in a magazine and he copied them or he might have actually learned then and be lethal with them but either way the book i saw was not bad at all. It was better than a lot of the shit I have seen."

He learned from Tony Cecchine's tapes. That is not BS.

After Furey claimed to talk to the ghost of Farmer Burns and then sell what he's learned..........C'mon , seriously , the guy is an a$$hole. Screw him and whatever he's trying to sell.

I Know Paulson is legit.

Ive seen his fights, just not the tapes.

You haters are just jealous because Furey can talk with ghosts. Farmer Burns' ghost to be more specific. RLOL!!

firstly eric paulson is superb,to the guy whos questioning erics stuff.matt furey conditioning stuff seems ok.

Just curious. what are hatmaker's credentials?

Ive seen one of the Hatmaker DVDs for "Defeating Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" or something, and I just dont know what to think. Some of the stuff is total crap... but some of it seemed good and pointed out things that I thought were very important.

I would say to people who know whats going on to watch it, because it may present something from an angle you havent thought about... but put it through the appropriate filter.

I got one of Hatmaker's books for cheap - it relied on you buying this other book first,which wasn't available, so I didn't get full use.

The organization of information was a kind of lacking, basically a series of chain subs with some asides as to why this or that was a bad idea or not.

Nothing about PP's, although breathing technique was mentioned (this moved me to buy the book, nobody talks much about breathing anymore, so he deserved my $10 CAD). He acknowldges Tony as an influence.

I like Ceccine's stuff better, but then, I ony watched a video, never read a book by Tony.

I train occasionally with Mark.
He has legitimate skills and an extensive
knowledge of wrestling and Western martial arts in
general.
Even I, however, do not know about his
background and I don't want to ask.
That sounds silly, but there have been so many
threads about his legitimacy that it'd probably
change the dynamic of what we do.
I will say he is a very private guy.
Why don't you guys ask him yourself? He's got a
website and he'll respond within a day to an email
from anyone. When you find out, tell me.
p.s.
In my opinion, his videos are excellent. His books
are better than average.

I went to one of hatmakers seminars last year.He really knows his shit.Just because hes not in the the Ufc or Pride that doesn't mean shit.For some reason when ever you have nhb practictioners that doesn't fight they are discredited alot of people that have been catagorized as great fighters have never competed ex:bruce lee.People should really stop judging so quickly and give people a chance you can learn something from everyone.

What do you mean by "scam"?

Selling something that doesn't do what it says? Aside from what I think is some lackluster advice on defending leg kicks, I can't think of anything I've come across in Hatmaker to gripe about, much less discredit as B.S.

Is it a scam if it makes outlandish claims? I don't know what in Hatmaker makes outlandish claims. If anything, he emphasizes how basic is the stuff he teaches. Furey might be a different story, but there's at least some truth to his claims. I mean, does anyone doubt that doing 5000 consecutive Hindu squats will develop your leg muscles?

Is it a scam if it charges way too much? I'm not sure how Hatmaker, with his books available at Amazon for $11, qualifies. Maybe you mean the $70 videos at Paladin Press, but I haven't seen many instructionals that are cheap (if you only make a couple thousand copies, price per unit is high--law of the economy of scale).

Is it a scam if they don't compete in NHB? First, if you think the ability to fight is the same as the ability to teach fighting, you're dumb. Fighting and teaching are different skills.

Second, don't assume because they don't have contracts with UFC they don't know how to fight. Passion for acquiring and teaching fighting skill doesn't necessarily mean you want to put them on display for thousands of people for money.

Put another way, Chico King has nothing but an amateur boxing record of 10-0 from like ten years ago, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend you walk into one of his seminars and throw down a challenge just because you've fought some NHB.

Third, perfect knowledge of skills doesn't mean perfect ability to apply them. Simply put, not everyone's body is wired to do exactly what the brain tells it to. That's the difference between those who are "naturals" and those who are not. If what you want from a good teacher is learning stuff that works, it's not relevant if he fights NHB or not. If Gene LaBell offered to show you some holds, would you turn him down because he's never fought Matt Hughes or because if he did so he'd get his 156-year old ass kicked?

Learn everywhere you can, don't buy the stuff you think isn't worth the money, and ignore coaches who annoy you. Worry about how well you're doing, not how well you think someone you don't even know might do.

like having jean claude vam damme give a course on ground control...painfully uneducated.
make sure that the person has really proven his stuff...but anyone can say this needs to be taught this way and that, but if that person has never put his teachings to the test, its not worth the time of day.

ttt

"Absorb what is useful."