FUTA1: Jones is mentally weak

Excerpts from MMAJunkie.com.

"I looked at it as he's just a weak guy," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "There's a lot of minds stronger than that. It shows how he can just fold.

"Mentally, if he gets pressed and pressed during interviews, and all of a sudden he just totally turns himself around, you can't be like that, man."

"You can't be like that," he said. "You've got to stand for the things you believe in."

Ortiz knows about sticking up for himself. The ex-UFC champ fought several battles outside of the cage with UFC management and was repeatedly characterized as a problem child by UFC President Dana White, who himself used to manage Ortiz.

Still, as a newly minted manager, Ortiz, who recently started his own firm with partner George Prajin, can now see both sides of the equation when it comes to dust-ups between promoter and fighter.

The now-retired fighter said if he was managing Jones, he would have requested a meeting with White when Vitor Belfort was proposed as opponent at UFC 152, which takes place Sept. 22 in Toronto.

"If it was my guy, I would want to help the company out," Ortiz said. "I think it would be something that I would sit down and talk to Dana about to make the right decision for the company, and I think the fighter would have to understand that. I made those same decisions myself where I fought."

Jones, as it turned out, decided to fight Belfort after Lyoto Machida turned down an already-announced rematch with the champ.

"I've got to make a decision about my fighter's future," Ortiz said. "He's going to be the best guy in the world. The guy who he's going to fight, is it going to better his career? Is it going to better him as an individual? And I would say against Chael, it wasn't a fight to take. Chael just lost his last fight. It's a lose-lose situation. He steps up, he fights (and) he beats him – he was supposed to beat him. As a manager, you've got to make those decisions."

The fighter in Ortiz disagrees with Jones' decision to turn down Sonnen.

"My ego gets in the way, and I know I can crush everyone, and it doesn't matter to me," he said. "I'm like, 'I've already put in camp for the last nine weeks. I want to fight. I don't care.' I've had that situation time and time again with my career. Maybe not championship fights, but time and time again over my career."

And Ortiz said there were plenty of times where necessity simply was the driving force of his career. He cited fights with Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC 33 and Forrest Griffin at UFC 106 as two examples where he was injured and fought opponents on short notice. (Ortiz won the first bout to defend his belt and lost the latter.)

Read the rest at MMAJunkie.com:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30550/ufc-hall-of-famer-tito-ortiz-says-jon-jones-is-mentally-weak.mma Phone Post

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt - Tito > Jon Jones. Tito in his prime would out-wrestle Jones. Jones is susceptible to a strong double-leg and Tito had the best in the business.

Tito buried his head too often in someone's guard. 12-6 elbows from bottom would have aggravated Tito's cracked skull. Phone Post

Other recent threads created by Alpha World Peace..... (from LilBrockonmychest)

Jon Jones: "Being cocky sux"

Jon: I'm honored 2 face Vitor, a Christian like me

Video: Did Jon Jones predict his own demise?

Jon Jones: Ali had many flaws in the person he was

Video Rewind: Did Rashad give Jon the best advice?

Miguel Torres: Jon Jones & Planned Parenthood...

Rashad: Chael wasn't training. I was with him.

Diego: Jon lied about Fuel. I forgave him.

Jackson Fighters blame Jones, not Greg Jackson

Jones' publicist quit last week due 2 his attitude

Soares: Anderson said no JBJ only b/c not in shape

DFW: Jon Jones knew the card would be cancelled

Dana: Chael did not know; was with girlfriends dad

Dana: Chael told me Jon is a mental midget

Bisping: Jon Jones will never live this down

Attn Kirik: Can you move my Hendo thread back?

The Collected Wisdom of Jon Jones: August Edition

Old school fighter who always fought short notice

Ariel: Silva offered to fight Jon Jones

UFC 151 fighters discuss having fights cancelled

Should Jones fire Malki and Greg or fire both?

Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

Jones's mental game is amazing. He has the confidence to try anything in that cage. Phone Post

TTT Phone Post

beanouno - 

Jones's mental game is amazing. He has the confidence to try anything in that cage. Phone Post

Assuming you can get him in the cage.