General consensus on Wing Chun?

Wing Wing means you can never grab a titty.

Jake Allen McHam Burger -
PrettyBoy - It's an advanced style some
Aspects of it would work if you have a strong base just like taekwondo. But overall I don't see a lot of it transitioning to today's MMA. Phone Post 3.0

I suppose any striking style would work if you had solid fundamentals and wrestling? I know very little about Wing Chun specifically which is why I asked the question. It seems to be a popular style which I guess is just cause of Bruce Lee. But I think its interesting to ponder on what will pop up as MMA evolves. I wonder in an Org could survive today doing Style V Style fights the way UFC etc started? Although we all already know Ninjitsu is the greatest of all fighting systems so maybe it would be a waste of time...
Dux Ryo IMO Phone Post 3.0

The hand-trapping techniques and short strikes can be useful in very close quarters (i.e., in a bar or other small area where there is limited room to move).

However, they take a lot of practice as opposed to some other based more on gross motor movements.

Anything can be effective (Wing Chun, Aikido, etc.) but the more the relies on fine movement patterns, the longer it takes to learn.

Kirik - 

Wing Wing means you can never grab a titty.

That does answer my question. Master Wong is now top of my P4P list

I've watched some video on youtube. It doesn't seem like you can generate a lot of power from the stance compared to a boxer, and it doesn't deal with strikes that don't go down the straight line like hooks effectively. It also seems to be like it doesn't work well in transitions, they need to constantly reset themselves in that awkward stance to do anything.

That said I'm sure there's some use to it, I some of the videos showed guys could throw strikes very quickly and accurately and would fuck up a lot of people, but it's limitations are what Bruce Lee noticed and tried to improve upon. In MMA it'd be way too predictable and the guys would be walking targets with it's lack of mobility and set stance.

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - Ip man would beat the shit out of mighty mouse

There I said it Phone Post 3.0
Mighty Mouse would take him down and make hellfire rain on this poor man. Phone Post 3.0

Those who haven't trained in Wing Chun have no right to, just as those that train in Wing Chun do not have any right to say the system is the best.

Every system is a style and styles suit different people. An example would be that a tall person wouldn't find Wing Chun as useful as that person would find Muay Thai. At the same time if a short statured person used Wing Chun against a taller person it would be quite effective. Phone Post 3.0

CDarwin - 
Jake Allen McHam Burger - The other style(?) I was wondering about is Wushu

Wushu is just a generic term for "martial arts" in Chinese. (In the West most would label Chinese martial arts as kung fu, which in fact just means "skill".)

The type most known outside China is the exhibition, circus type acrobatics. I assume that is what you are referring to. 

Impressive, and like all gymnastics, it isn't for everyone.

My only reference for Wushu before today was a couple friends that said they trained in it and I know at least one of them went to China to compete. Now that I've done a little research I'm very curious in what they were learning. Sounds like a sort of traditional Chinese MMA?

If Wing Chun was useful it would already be on display in the Octagon, since the Octagaon is the ultimate crucible. Nobody tells you what style you must use. You can do anything you want to do within the general rules, even if it's ridiculous (see: BJ Penn a couple weeks ago).

People want to be champions. People want to be rich. WC practicioners want to achieve and prove, too. They can't, and they don't.

What Wing Chun seems to lack, IMO, like many other martial arts...is and emphasis on practicality. Practical martial arts can be applied directly to the forehead.

WC concepts are very interesting, such as Chi Sao, but how much is it going to matter vs. a Muay Thai striker (esp. low kicks/clinch) standing up? Or BJJ doing anythign else? It's just not. You can and should cherry pick these impractical martial arts for ideas and creativity, but they arent a basis for success in the Octagon. 

tl;dr If a fighting style was effective and practical it would already be employed succesfully in the Octagon

Alan Orr is the guy you want to look up. Most of it is crap, and he has had to change it stylistically so much that wing Chun guys refuse to call it that. Which is a little sad I think. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks Chadderz. I watched a couple of his videos. Its interesting how much hate he seems to get but his ideas on the difference between how a technique is trained and how it can be effectively used kind of make sense. There's definitely traditional martial artists out there actively attacking MMA for disproving their styles. Its cool to see someone adapting to find a middle ground. So many of these arts have become so convoluted that it seems like people forget they are actually designed to hurt people. I hope MMA can be a catalyst for rediscovering the principles these arts were founded on.

How did Mario Sperry tap to a halfguard guillotine?

The oblique kick is from wing chun, and so is Rory McDonald's 'elbow block'.

The good thing about Wing Chun is that you learn to punch in a lot of different ways on different angles and generate force in a short distance.

People get caught up in the defensive structure, but I don't think that is its main advantage.

Master Wong should try de-caff

AishOyyy -

If Wing Chun was useful it would already be on display in the Octagon, since the Octagaon is the ultimate crucible. Nobody tells you what style you must use. You can do anything you want to do within the general rules, even if it's ridiculous (see: BJ Penn a couple weeks ago).

People want to be champions. People want to be rich. WC practicioners want to achieve and prove, too. They can't, and they don't.

What Wing Chun seems to lack, IMO, like many other martial arts...is and emphasis on practicality. Practical martial arts can be applied directly to the forehead.

WC concepts are very interesting, such as Chi Sao, but how much is it going to matter vs. a Muay Thai striker (esp. low kicks/clinch) standing up? Or BJJ doing anythign else? It's just not. You can and should cherry pick these impractical martial arts for ideas and creativity, but they arent a basis for success in the Octagon. 

tl;dr If a fighting style was effective and practical it would already be employed succesfully in the Octagon

WC has been used plenty of times in the Octagon. Hell, look how many Bill Jee eye pokes Bonesy Jonesy has landed. Phone Post 3.0

Cool concepts in theory, but their delivery system for impact is heavily flawed IMO.

you guys have no idea what you're talking about...I guess since we didn't see judo until a couple of years ago that it didn't work either from 1993 until Karo's UFC debut

zebers3 -

Fuck yes, will be watching this tonight. Phone Post 3.0

FatBuddha - you guys have no idea what you're talking about...I guess since we didn't see judo until a couple of years ago that it didn't work either from 1993 until Karo's UFC debut
This.

I don't necessarily think it would be the most effective MA, but are bits and pieces that would be a good base.

I also tend to think it's just not as popular here in the US, how many legit Wing Chun schools do you have in your city? Probably a few, if any.

Plus, I have seen fighters use those hand trapping techniques along with others. Phone Post 3.0