Getting better, faster?

If you each could share just three tidbits of knowledge/advice to a newbie so that they could get better, faster, than the average BJJ student, what would they be?

When answering, please be as detailed as possible and keep serious.

Thanks in advance.

1) Increased athleticism (look into BWE intervals, strength training, dino training, etc.).

2) Improved diet (increased water intake, cut out sodas, more fruits and veggies, more protein, etc.)

3) Take METICULOUS notes of EACH class you take. Bring a notebook and pen, and take NOTES. Don't be like your typicall BJJ student who does a technique half-heartedly, then just proceeds to roll.

1. Bodyweight/Yoga/Running/Conditioning = Good!
    This will teach body control and you will have the energy to carry out your techniques.

2. Watch as many DVDs as possible.
    The are many ways to do the same thing. What your instructor teaches may not work for your body type and your instructor can't cover every technique in the world.

3. Go to class/Wrestle/Spar/Roll as much as possible.
    What you have watched on DVD is the exact same technique that your instructor is going over, maybe a different variation. Then you wrestle until your heart is content against an uncooperative foe.

1. Get in shape
  2. Get a variety of instructionals (Saulo's gi set, Tony Cecchine's tapes, Carlos Machado, etc)
  3. Focus on escapes

Hahaha

dafelst,

That's just wrong.

1.. Basics, I think as Americans we want more now, we want all the secret gogo/loco palates and we want to use them in competitions now. Train the basics and the rest will come
2. Position over submission.
3. Put yourself in a bad position and and escape then reset.

• Sparring within just a single position (f.ex. open guard bottom) over and over against many different training partners with a variety of resistance.

Remember you are in class to learn, not to win.

One private a week. Spar with your black belt instructer at least half the time.
Fight at all the tornaments you can. Like once a month at the least.
Dont miss a class.
You will be on the fast track to getting real good at the fastest pace I know.
This is a proven formula.
Brad Peplow

1) Spend more time on reps (static or against a specific resistance).

2) Spend more time on reps (static or against a specific resistance).

3) Spend more time on reps (static or against a specific resistance).

Thanks guys.

Great suggestions thus far.

I agree with 4 ranges and TwinkletoesCT.

1) Develop your athleticism, particularly your body control, body awareness, and coordination

2) Spend more time on reps (static or against a specific resistance).

In my opinion these two points go together. The more developed your body control and coordination is the easier it will be for you to do the techniques as well as learn new techniques. The more time you spend doing reps of techniques the more you'll develop your coordination and body control.

Take some privates with a purple belt or higher. They can tell you when you're doing stupid shit that gets you in touble.

1) Be the first one in last one out, show enthusiasm and ask questions everytime your their. The more a teacher spots a certain student with a lot of enthusuasm the more private time they'll want to spend working with that student.

2) Basics

3) Effective scheduling. Besides injury I'd say this is the biggest reason guys with a lot of potential don't excel faster because they're job changes hours, or whatever reason it is. In other words be consistant in your training and if you have to take some time off try to make at little as possible.

"Aren't the brazilians coming up with them in the first place?"

You missed the point. Its about people wanting to learn flashy or advanced moves and they arent training the basics, this tends to slow down advancement. I learned this myself the hardway.

Train your body with fitness and nutrition.
Train your mind with instruction(live) and resources (tapes, etc.)
Put it together with drills and mat time and more mat time.

Unless you are a prodigy, you can't take a short cut. You can only compress the time it takes overall by putting in the training more intensely.

" Remember you are in class to learn, not to win."

That's my biggest one I try to emphasize.

Remember to tap when you get caught. Refusing to tap will get you hurt and slow your progress. You won't improve if your not on the mat.

1-leave ego at home, tap to every submission (dont get hurt) cause when you lose you actually win in the long run.
2-work on flexibility, and breathing, this will enhance your game plan or strageties for your body type.
3-watch videos of fighters that resembles your body type, study them and practice the moves in class.