Getting more Basic then Fancy?

Do you guys keep it simple?

Im starting to just become more and more basic as I learn more

it seems the fancy stuff only happens now and then but the basic stuff happens everyday it seems that it's the finer details of the basics that make the difference between a class and b class grapplers.

of course everybody has a little different sets of basics that works for there body type.

I keep it simple. Too many guys never master the basics, and they keep trying to learn fancy moves that just don't work.. I like the saying K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid. MOst fancy moves are created by a person according to their body type.

My 2 cents:

• People have a tendency to look for the fancy stuff when they can't make the basic stuff work against athletic and resisting opponents. Rather than getting more details on the basics, they look for something fancy.

• The fancy stuff only works when you already have a SOLID understanding of the fundamental basics. Without this understanding, the fancy stuff collapses like a house of cards.

• People who look for the fancy stuff are more concerned with tapping other people, rather than gaining a fuller and deeper understanding of the art.

I think there is two fold reason why some people can't make the basics work against athletic and strong resisting opponents:

1) Often a person will try apply the techniques they learned in class (basic or fancy) against athletic and resisting opponent who happen to be their classmates and who learned the SAME techniques. It is going to be all the more challenging and hard to apply a technique on someone who is athletic, strongly resisting AND who know the SAME damn techniques.

2) This point goes along with the above point. Alot of people lack combinations with the so-called basic techniques. That is, they don't do the basic in combinations like boxers do with their "basic" punches but rather do it one technique at a time.

It is really easy to defend against techniques you already know and against technique that are executed one at a time. You simply prepare youself to defend against AND then launch a counter defense. It is much harder to defend against a technique, even if you know the technique, if you are caught of guard, out of position or off balance and if the technique is don't in succession with other techniques. Alot of people don't create or develop combinations with the basic techniques. I person can attack you with one technique, which you defend, and then attack with with another technique which you weren't expecting. Because all of your attention is on defending one attack you are naturally vunerable and open to a different attack. The different attack doesn't even have to be totally successful. It can be good enough to make the other person lose their position, balance, or focus. And then you can flow from there into yet another different attack. That's the point of combinations.

I like the term "fundamentals" because basics tends to imply a lack of complexity when in reality your understanding of applying the fundamentals will become more and more complex. 

It takes enough time to master a move to the degree that it is second nature, make it a part of a combination of moves and come up with responses to all your opponent's counters.

I do think that what constitutes the "fundamentals" will be a little different from person to person based on their attributes and preferences and I would even say whether you are focusing on the gi or no-gi.  For example the double leg takedown would be considered a fundamental takedown but since I prefer upper body takedowns from judo and greco-roman I tend not to give my double leg the kind of attention I would if I considered it a bread and butter move. 

So what I am saying is you still to a degree have to figure out what you really want to focus on.

Fundamentals as a term can be used differently. SBG uses fundamentals mostly as things that carry over whatever your game is like and whatever clothing you are wearing or whether there are strikes involved. Such as Fundamental 5 for top, bottom, passing - they won´t change at all cause that is the nature of the thing.

So I would say these fundamentals are the most important thing to get good at.

nice info guys

4 Ranges nailed it.

[m.g.]

"This point goes along with the above point. Alot of people lack combinations with the so-called basic techniques. That is, they don't do the basic in combinations like boxers do with their "basic" punches but rather do it one technique at a time."

You are absolutely right. There are tons of instruccionals dvds with hundred of techniques, all of them fantastic. But the lack is that there arent dvds out there teaching a game with combinations. Dont you think so? Does it exists? The only instruccional i have seen that covers only a little bit, is Paulo Guillobel. He teaches three or four techniques from one position when there are different opponents reactions.

I think there arent academies out there teaching a "game".

"I think there is two fold reason why some people can't make the basics work against athletic and strong resisting opponents:"

We discuss it before in another thread started by me. For example, at our class we have a guy that has been only training during 6 months, and he is beating even blue belts. He is strong, fast and cardio-phenomenom. Is very very difficult to do a game with this kind of people. Even when you are sparring 6 minutes rounds. Is awesome how is him when we have been sparring during one hour!

Everytime i have to fight with him, i know that in two minutes i will be super tired and it takes my psico down :-).

"I think there arent academies out there teaching a "game"."

I think there are lots of places where jitz is taught like that.

Bandwidth

That is so true man sometimes I get the same thing happening No matter how Many times I gain a great position the guy knows enough to defend and doesnt gas now what.

But I read a Royler gracie interview that was very intresting he said that if somebody has better positioning skills than you to attack the legs it was very intresting and I always think back to this interview.

I can see good sides to the basics and to the fancy stuff.

A technique is a technique in most cases. There is a place for "fancy" techniques, but you can only get to that place if your fundamentals or basics are solid. Marcelo Garcia is the fanciest player out there. His game involves leglocks that are used for sweeps, the xguard, arm drags from just about everywhere, and a tight, headdown pass that isnt found anywhere in Gracie 101. But his game fits his body style and it only works for him because his foundation is so strong that he can adapt it to techniques that you and I might find too difficult to pull off.

If Marcelo played Roger´s game, we probably wouldnt know who he was. It is unlikely he would have the same success. We all play the games we develop, and a lot of that has to do with how we are built, what we are exposed to, and how we think (our personality).

That said, your individual game shouldnt really develop until you have a solid foundation in the fundamentals. When in doubt, sharpen your fundamentals because they are at the root of every technique in jiujitsu.

well put andre

I used to think I was doing something wrong by attacking the legs all the time untill you put it this way.

calve locks /shinlocks was my secret finisher but always thought it was wrong