gi jits for mma?

Whats the point of this? No shirt, cant grab shorts, slick as heck, why fool yourself with gi training now days?

It makes you a more technical grappler

why not just train bjj without the gi altogether?

GI's are like cheating, handles you dont have when competing.

Calhoon - It makes you a more technical grappler

Also better awareness.. Also much more applicable in a street fight; unless you fight naked men Phone Post

An experienced street fighter will take the shirt off after he pushes you and talks some smack, like on dazed and confused during the cager party, duh! lol.

mxmma - why not just train bjj without the gi altogether?

At some point you can and if you compete without the gi on then it is adviseable that you do train at least partially without the gi because there are some differences but if you have not ever trained with a gi on or you did not learn how to grapple in a gi then you are cheating yourself.

rosario00 -

Also better awareness.. Also much more applicable in a street fight; unless you fight naked men Phone Post

That's the reason that makes the most sense to me. Phone Post

ChipW - 
rosario00 -

Such a myth. I've been no-gi grappling for 15 years and I've never grappled a shirtless guy. Most guys training no-gi are not naked...at least not in my corner of the world. Maybe Brazil.

mxmma - Whats the point of this? No shirt, cant grab shorts, slick as heck, why fool yourself with gi training now days?

why not actually train instead of talking out of your ass?

nowaydo - 
ChipW - 
rosario00 -

Such a myth. I've been no-gi grappling for 15 years and I've never grappled a shirtless guy. Most guys training no-gi are not naked...at least not in my corner of the world. Maybe Brazil.

I think he was meaning you tend to get more practice in using a person's clothing against them with a gi. If you never train in a gi, a collar choke is probably not going to be at the top of your list in a high intensity street fight.

rosario00 -

Lol Phone Post

Ive trained Gi for six months under brian johnson at nwjjc in seatle wa. I enjoyed it but i think for mma i felt like it would be cheating, that could just be because it got submitted with it constantly.

stlnl2 -
nowaydo - 
ChipW - 
rosario00 -

I think he was meaning you tend to get more practice in using a person's clothing against them with a gi. If you never train in a gi, a collar choke is probably not going to be at the top of your list in a high intensity street fight.

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks. Phone Post

U have to rely more on ur technique Phone Post

mxmma - GI's are like cheating, handles you dont have when competing.

Did you mean to rhyme?

Look here is the only real answer:

For best results you have to train both.

You cannot deny that training with the gi makes your escapes better. If you can escape from bottom crossside while in a gi, where ever single part of your body is a "handle" and is producing friction, it will be much much easier no gi. It forces you to use proper technique. If you can escape an arm bar while in a gi (where you can't pull your arm out because of friction or his grips) it will be super easy without the gi (due to proper technique.)

Training with the gi can create bad habits for no gi. You cannot deny that crazy sport ju-jitsu set ups by using the lapels and various grips won't help in a street fight, and will allow someone to punch the crap out of you. You can be too used to training at the slower gi paced rolling and not handle a fast game.

Training without the Gi has the benefit of making your game tighter. Training with the gi makes your game more technical.

A couple other reasons to train gi: Not to long ago I choked out a hipster D bag at a bar with his stupid flannel collared shirt. People wear jackets all the time.

Train Both, Train Hard

JacT

The thing I don't understand in this whole gi no gi debate is that it really doesn't make that much difference. If you want to learn to grapple for mma the aspect that changes the dynamic of grappling way more than attire is throwing punches. Nothing changes your guard game more than a guy throwing punches at you. Phone Post

The gi prevents slipping so if you trane in it using only no gi techniques it forces you to be more technical since you can't just slip out of subs. Phone Post

Train Both, Train Hard!!!

Good advice!