Gilbert Burns showing off new UFC glove design? To lessen eye pokes?

Yeh I believe they didn’t want to use Trevor’s glove under license - they wanted to own the entire IP for the glove and didn’t want to pay the price. I don’t know what Trevor asked for, it might have been unreasonable but seems like a big opportunity missed for the sport

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I understood too. Can’t blame him for that but every man has his price. They could’ve given him X million to make it happen

1 Like

That’s what I remember. I think Trevor should’ve worked something out, there had to be negotiations, seems like a missed opportunity all these years later for sure. but I honestly think it comes down to UFC paying Century pennies for production and the glove issue is not something they are concerned about.

1 Like

If notice the UFC never brings up the topic of gloves, It’s always a fighter or media outlet after a fight (Leon vs Belal for example) or it’s Rogan talking about it. I would like to know even the basics of how long of contract are they with Century for? The UFC dropped Ouano in 2007 and it’s been Century production ever since then. Century have changed the glove ONE TIME in 2016 and it honestly made the glove MORE FLAT.

I can show the difference of Century version 1 compared to version 2. Version 1 came with a natural bend. Version 2 are completely flat

2 Likes

Stubbornness, control, and pride (no pun intended).

2 Likes

I can’t imagine a lengthy supplier contract with zero outs at all.

I thought they were talking with Trevor Wittman about using his design but it fell through because they wanted control of it probably so no one else could use it (or to shelve it so no one anywhere could :rofl:). Wittman wasn’t willing to give up ownership of his design.

They probably have a sweetheart supply deal and they don’t really have much incentive to invest in improving.

How much of a problem to their bottom line are eye pokes really? The 2 most notorious eye pokers in UFC history are Chuck and Jon, 2 of their biggest ever sellers and champions :rofl:

I doubt they care.

1 Like

So here is Version 1. You’ll notice the only difference between version 1 and version 2 is the “UFC” on the glove doesn’t have the R for registered trademark. And on the wrist the version 1 say “Ultimate Fighting Championship “

Very small details people would never notice. BUT the glove changed as well!

The version 2 is much more flat.

1 Like

For comparison

Version 1 on the right side (2007-2016) and version 2 on the left side (2016-present)

1 Like

Anybody remember Shooto gloves? It amazes me that some of the best grappling experts the sport has ever seen were able to pull off such incredible submissions with what amounted to pillows on their hands.

2 Likes

Holy shit you almost read my mind. I had this big post typed out about how Joe Silva might have been our best hope for a new glove. But I didn’t post it, I got distracted with those pictures instead . He was a diehard Shooto fan.

the first few versions of Pride gloves were basically Shooto / Pancrase gloves

Pride gloves were sneaky deceptive though.

They were actually surprisingly small in person.

4 Likes

lol that’s awesome !

1 Like

These are by far the best gloves currently being used by any organization

1 Like

1 Like

I tried telling y’all it was all bullshit.

The fact Helwani can’t verify it is pretty embarrassing.