Gillespie

Gillespie is now 35 years old and 7-1 in the UFC. Did not fight in 2020 and took one fight in 2021 and got the biggest win of his career over a top 15 ranked LW, the first and only big win of his career. That was eleven months ago so he will now go another year without fighting after he just took 1.5 years off after his last fight.

So in the last of what he has left of his prime he has fought 1 fight in 2.5 years.

Who knows maybe is doing one of these two year long Jon Jones training camps Chael was talking about yesterday.

Makhachev got the same number of UFC wins in the past year that Gillespie has in the past 4.5 years.

Undisclosed injuries… is that the story here? Has to be.

1 Like

His has been a very unfortunate path. He could have done so much more and he’s just not.

1 Like

He’s never been very active. Shame & agreed.

I’ve seen he is on Flow Wrestling doc coming out about drug addiction

He was making noise about a fight with Tony Ferguson back in February. That didn’t pan out. He’s fallen silent since then.

Last Instagram post was in Feb.

1 Like

He’s only got himself to blame.

When he keeps turning opponents down…

do-you-want-to-be-a-fucking-fighter

2 Likes

He had pretty much no chance to get that fight while the Chandler Tony fight was getting put together.

When you look at the history of the LW division…Tony, Lee, Conor, Oliveira, Poirier, Chandler, Gaethje, Khabib, RDA etc… they got world and int. title fights by being active and winning. UFC is not just gonna hand it to Gillespie fight 1x a year with a single top 15 win while he just got KOed by a guy they cut two fights ago. Sure hardcore fans want to see him in the mix with the rest of the top 10 but the UFC don’t need him.

4 Likes

Despite the inactivity, Gillespie is still ranked 8th in the division.

Get him in there against Arman Tsarukyan, who’s holding the 11th spot.

4 Likes

He’s fought once in 2.5yrs

And let’s be honest the people he has beaten hasn’t been impressive.

He fought one UFC reject and got his electricity turned off

DiscreteFoolhardyEthiopianwolf-size_restricted

5 Likes

PJGO0xi

He’s ok :+1:t2:

4 Likes

The guy keeps ducking Arman tsarukyan and looking for an easy fight with Tony.

He should fight or gtfo of the ufc

3 Likes

In the 2.5 year where he only fought once.
Even Conor has fought 3 times…

Has Tsarukyan pursued that fight?

I’ve wanted to see that one for a while so knew it would not happen.

1 Like

Oh yea hes been calling him out for over a year now. Gregor has stayed quit.

I dont understand Gregor. He seems to be holding onto his spot because there is no one he finds beatable other then Tony it seems

4 Likes

If he not accepting fights…

fba31098-c9fe-4ff5-b203-efbcec5974bc_text

3 Likes

Its hard to be a Gregor fan

3 Likes

i been a fan since he was wrestling in hs in NY.Hope he can bounce back soon

3 Likes

He doesn’t seem to want to bounce back after refusing 6 different fights.

It’s a shame

2 Likes