Gloves question...

Seeing that the Training&Gear Forum is dead, I figured I had a better chance getting a response here.

I was looking into buying some new bag gloves.

I know Ringside and CSI make some solid ones, but I was looking at the "Spartan" series they sell here on MMA.tv. Anyone have experience with these? How does they stack up compared to the more well-known brands?

The spartan gloves here are not as good as Ringside's Super Bag glove. My preference is for the basic Ringside Super Bag Glove. The gel bag glove is kinda cool, but I prefer gel technology for training gloves, rather than a bag glove, which is basically just meant to hit a relatively soft heavy bag and mitts anyway.

That's another reason why Kirik has my respect. He tells it like he is rather than talk up his own gear to make a buck.

I'm happy with my Spartan gear. It does the job. No frills, decent quality but you get what you pay.

Thanks guys, but I never really understood the difference between bag gloves and training gloves. Does it REALLY matter?

I use 16oz CS IMF Tech gloves now for traning and sometimes for bag work as well.

HUGE difference. I am stunned some times at the number of really experienced guys that get them confused.

Training gloves are for sparring. They are made of layered foam (three, four, and with Winning something like a dozen layers), often some open cell. They protect the other guy's melon. Bag gloves are made of closed cell foam, two layers tops. Made just to be a cast for your hand.

In short, the foam in a bag glove lasts forever, 200 shots a round, 10 rounds a day, and is hard. The foam in a training glove is soft, is made to protect the guy's head, against a few hard shots, a few rounds a day, a few rounds a week, and does not hold up well.

Kind of like a gardening glove and a driving glove, kind of, if that makes any sense?

la vengeance - Thanks guys, but I never really understood the difference between bag gloves and training gloves. Does it REALLY matter?

I use 16oz CS IMF Tech gloves now for traning and sometimes for bag work as well.

You can't go wrong with IMF's... I have some Ringside 16oz IMF's for sparring, they are great.

I also just got a pair of the Cleto Reyes super bag gloves, a little harder on my hands but overall I like them a lot for conditioning/bag work. 

la vengeance - Thanks guys, but I never really understood the difference between bag gloves and training gloves. Does it REALLY matter?

Totally matters... The materials are different, as a general rule of thumb your bag gloves are for conditiong/bag work and your training gloves are for sparring.  Don't use your sparring gloves for training, they will wear out fast!

ttt for the knowledge

thanks a lot

Kirik -  HUGE difference. I am stunned some times at the number of really experienced guys that get them confused.

Training gloves are for sparring. They are made of layered foam (three, four, and with Winning something like a dozen layers), often some open cell. They protect the other guy's melon. Bag gloves are made of closed cell foam, two layers tops. Made just to be a cast for your hand.

In short, the foam in a bag glove lasts forever, 200 shots a round, 10 rounds a day, and is hard. The foam in a training glove is soft, is made to protect the guy's head, against a few hard shots, a few rounds a day, a few rounds a week, and does not hold up well.

Kind of like a gardening glove and a driving glove, kind of, if that makes any sense?

knowledge: dropped

Kirik -  HUGE difference. I am stunned some times at the number of really experienced guys that get them confused.

Awesome advice.

So would you say the bag gloves are designed to condition your knuckles and hands when hitting the bag?

My IMF Tech gloves haven't broken down much in the last year and a half. The last couple workouts I have noticed a slight difference (nothing major) so I'm going to switch back to a more traditional bag glove and still use them for sparring. Considering most people at the gyms I've been to use those cr@ppy everlast gloves; even for sparring, I'm still being a super sweetheart to my sparring partners compared to what I'm receiving in return.

BTW- I hate those everlast gloves and refuse to use them even for bag work.

Also, Ringside's super bag glove is freakin awesome for the price. At 10oz, you wouldn't think it would offer as much support & protection as it does. Need to get me another pair.

la vengeance - 
So would you say the bag gloves are designed to condition your knuckles and hands when hitting the bag?

Not really.
Protection is the name of the game.
The only kind of thing i do for "conditioning" is not wearing handwraps - forces me to use better punching form.
I want to feel a little bit of crunch through the glove when I hit something, but not so much that it can cause any sort of damage.

Title Gel bag gloves are also excellent.

DaRealPorkChop - My IMF Tech gloves haven't broken down much in the last year and a half. The last couple workouts I have noticed a slight difference (nothing major) so I'm going to switch back to a more traditional bag glove and still use them for sparring. Considering most people at the gyms I've been to use those cr@ppy everlast gloves; even for sparring, I'm still being a super sweetheart to my sparring partners compared to what I'm receiving in return.

BTW- I hate those everlast gloves and refuse to use them even for bag work.

Also, Ringside's super bag glove is freakin awesome for the price. At 10oz, you wouldn't think it would offer as much support & protection as it does. Need to get me another pair.
Try the new Cleto Reyes super bag gloves.  I just got some and love them.  They are a little pricey though (130$ range if I remember right)!

Cletos don't fit my hand well. The wide pocket has me shifting all over inside the glove. Funny enough, the only time I've ever dropped anyone with a punch in sparring it was a body shot from a Cleto.

I have Grant superbag gloves which are also around 130, just used 'em again tonight actually and I love them to death. They're almost 3 years old.

What do you guys think about the Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves #BGV5 for strictly sparring? Has anybody tried them? Does anybody have any favorites for knuckle protection while doing mostly pad work and some bag work? A 16 oz. glove would be preferred.

ttt

Don't know about those Fairtex, but Fairtex in general was notorious for having a very straight thumb & caused quite a few folks to jam their thumbs, especially when sparring.

Not sure if the design on those is different.