Good Instructional Books & DVD's

The Fujiwara material is in Japanese but if you've at least got a basic grappling game you can figure it out easy enough. He does cover footlocks and neckcranks throughout that set.

yep fugiwara is awesome!Just rember on neck cranks....get the head at an angel that is not a real natural position.Of course I only know a couple myself.Just have to figure them out from all kinds of positions and situations.

The sith,

I picked up the US Navy wrestling manual six or seven years ago. It's one of the better wrestling instructional books out there, particularly with regard to sit-outs, reversals, etc. Tons of techniques, and a fair amount of coverage given to the dwl. Its main weakness is that the photos are quite small. Nevertheless, they are still very clear.

Nathan

Nathan,

When was the US Navy wrestling manual written? Can one still find it easily?

Nathan,
Are there any more military manuals that cover wrestling?I'll have to get a copy of the navy manual ,and thanks for the information!

Gentlemen,

I don't entirely recall where I purchased the book; I believe it was from a military antiquarian bookseller back around '99 or so. At the time, I was purchasing everything that I could on the subject of old-time wrestling and boxing. It was published as part of a series put out by the US Navy in 1943, also covering Boxing, Hand-to-Hand Combat and Physical Fitness. Though the book isn't expressly devoted to 'hooks,' it is readily apparent that many of the techniques could be tweaked for the desired effect (such as a rather brutal cross-face combo). I can't speak for the quality of the new reprint issued by Paladin, as I haven't seen it.

As far as other military(esque) manuals that contain wrestling, two that come to mind are Bernie Cosneck's 'Combat Judo' and Jack Dempsey's Coast Guard instructional. If I recall anything else, I'll be sure to post it!

Best,

Nathan

Group,
The US Navy book titled Wrestling is the same book titled Championship Wrestling by Cliff Keen, Charles Speidel, Raymond Swartz. The latter is the revised version. You can usually find it on ebay from time to time.

Chad

Hidetaka Aso"s submission bible is a good start, along with the USA wrestling syllabus and Schalles pinning tape.

For conditioning, stick to the internet for now. Maybe in the future there will be a definitive book on Gotch's conditioning.

Go ahead an add sub-master seminar dvd to the list.haven't seen it ,but I know it will be awesome!

Nathan,do you know where I can get a copy of "jack dempseys" coast guard instructional??

If that's "How To Fight Tough" then you can pick up a copy of the reprint at nearly any given time on ebay cheaper than going through the publisher. If not you can find a used or new copy at bookfinder.com or google it and find copies for sell.

I've got that. It's good especially for gettin that mindset.

I'd recommend this book over at www.ko-reviews.com

objective12, did you join just to promote this alleged secret book?