Gordon Ryan competes 2day...

Lukinho -

I’m a fan of both guys. That said, Gordon Ryan basically owned Andre here. Andre NEVER should’ve walked up to GR if that’s how he was going to respond. From what I saw, GR won every bit of this exchange. Andre approached GR and pushed him, only to get the taste slapped out of his mouth and then not do shit about it. Then Andre just stands there and says GR should show respect, but this is immediately following Andre flipping the bird to GR. This couldnt have gone worse for Andre. In fact, this looks worse for Andre than if he just would’ve originally grappled GR and lost by submission in any regular competition. I’m blown away.

I’m with you. I think Andre was pissed all night. He acted tough on impulse, then Gordon smacked him. I think Andre was in shock and didn’t know what to do right then. As it stands the entire Bjj community is thinking why didn’t he fight him. I think the slap shocked and scared Andre. More so I think the Andre is more scared of losing than pain. Lastly, I saw. A quote recently about winning a fight, “the feel good part after the fight is actually relief.”

FlowWithTheGo -
Lukinho -

I’m a fan of both guys. That said, Gordon Ryan basically owned Andre here. Andre NEVER should’ve walked up to GR if that’s how he was going to respond. From what I saw, GR won every bit of this exchange. Andre approached GR and pushed him, only to get the taste slapped out of his mouth and then not do shit about it. Then Andre just stands there and says GR should show respect, but this is immediately following Andre flipping the bird to GR. This couldnt have gone worse for Andre. In fact, this looks worse for Andre than if he just would’ve originally grappled GR and lost by submission in any regular competition. I’m blown away.

I’m with you. I think Andre was pissed all night. He acted tough on impulse, then Gordon smacked him. I think Andre was in shock and didn’t know what to do right then. As it stands the entire Bjj community is thinking why didn’t he fight him. I think the slap shocked and scared Andre. More so I think the Andre is more scared of losing than pain. Lastly, I saw. A quote recently about winning a fight, “the feel good part after the fight is actually relief.”

It should not have surprised him. At the very beginning it sounds like Andre was picking the fight. He asked why are you walking away then when Gordon stops and comes close then Andre pushed him... then came the slap.

Andre kinda got what he was asking for. At least that is how it looks to me in the video.

Yeah, that wasn’t staged. 100% real, and like others have stated, Andre completely froze. He was surprised by Gordon’s willingness to fight.

PR disaster for Andre and Atos. He’s ducked Ryan for years, and now has every excuse removed.

And Gordon can’t be called the bad guy here. He tried to shake Andre’s hand after Craig beat Ronaldo and got flipped off. Then later on Gordon tried waking away - with his back to Andre - after Andre followed him backstage and was calling him names.

Gordon showed a lot of restraint till he didn’t…

Calhoon - 
FlowWithTheGo -
Lukinho -

It should not have surprised him. At the very beginning it sounds like Andre was picking the fight. He asked why are you walking away then when Gordon stops and comes close then Andre pushed him... then came the slap.

Andre kinda got what he was asking for. At least that is how it looks to me in the video.

Not a fan of Gordon, but man did he get the better of the situation.

Andre initiated the conflict, escalated to make it physical, got sat the fuck down.

4 Likes

No way for fuckin Black Belts to carry themselves. Shame

Damn, that was a humliating exchange and caught on video too for everyone to see.

At this point, Andre should just settle things on the mat where it should’ve been.

1 Like
EVspinner - Damn, that was a humliating exchange and caught on video too for everyone to see.

At this point, Andre should just settle things on the mat where it should’ve been.

Galvao may not be a street fighter but he has MMA training and world BJJ. To freeze up and be scared like that really is humiliating. 

Gordon is fucking stupid for thinking anyone he’s talked that much shit to is just going to be Don to be friendly and shake hands after coaching their guy’s. 

A lot of people respect Gordon, a lot less actually like him. They train with and learn from him, but he’s a cringey non endearing dork at heart. His relationship/siblingship he has with that chick is beyond bizarre and Danaher is not the guy to be emulating socially lol.

now they’re all in this bubble in Puerto Rico by themselves, shit’s going to keep getting weird. NYC and Renzo kept them honest. 

Fabes - 
EVspinner - Damn, that was a humliating exchange and caught on video too for everyone to see.

Galvao may not be a street fighter but he has MMA training and world BJJ. To freeze up and be scared like that really is humiliating. 

Yeah. I agree.

I’d feel differently if Galvao hadn’t initiated it. Some people 1) don’t want to fight, even if someone else escalates a situation or 2) simply aren’t in the right head space.

In this case, Galavo 1) started the shit and then 2) made it physical. Total humiliation.

He knew Gordon would fuck him up so he decided to spare himself.

Doesn't mean his training is worthless. It just means there is always a bigger fish in the pond and when you know you are going to lose it's best to just not push the issue.

Same thing happens all the time in the animal kingdom. One male punks another one until the other one concedes or runs off knowing it is fucking with something higher on the food chain.

Only way Galvao can save face is start training MMA again like a mad man in secret and get in peak physical and cardio form and then either call Gordon out for a short notice fight or confront him in person.

Even still he would probably lose but it's his best chance.

TexDeuce - 

Doesn't mean his training is worthless. It just means there is always a bigger fish in the pond and when you know you are going to lose it's best to just not push the issue.

Same thing happens all the time in the animal kingdom. I male punks another one until the other one concedes or runs off knowing it is fucking with something higher on the food chain.

It’s a funny thing. I’m not sure that knowing Gordon would fuck him up is why Galvao didn’t do anything. But, I agree entirely with the premise that it’s sometimes best not to push the issue.

In general, I feel like internet tough guys underestimate how rational and smart it is to not fight a guy whom you know would fuck you up, unless you are protecting someone. If Jon Jones pushed Demetrious Johnson, I wouldn’t think anything less of Mighty Mouse if he ran away. I’d run away!

TexDeuce - 

Same thing happens all the time in the animal kingdom. I male punks another one until the other one concedes or runs off knowing it is fucking with something higher on the food chain.

Sometimes you gotta saddle up and take your ass whoopin.

1 Like

there is a time and place to resort to violence, that was the time and place. Refer to Hugo Duarte's response to the Rickson slap on the beach. The slap means no more talking, it's time to sort it out. Even if your not sure your going to come out on top, you got to scrap, for your own personal respect. I'm not even a Gordon fan but man, not one but two slaps, Andre has been living in the suburbs too long. Then Andre calling for respect immediately afterwards from Gordon, crazy man, he might talk a lot of crap online but Gordon showed Puerto Ricans are about that UFC life. 

1 Like
wiggum -
TexDeuce - 

It’s a funny thing. I’m not sure that knowing Gordon would fuck him up is why Galvao didn’t do anything. But, I agree entirely with the premise that it’s sometimes best not to push the issue.

In general, I feel like internet tough guys underestimate how rational and smart it is to not fight a guy whom you know would fuck you up, unless you are protecting someone. If Jon Jones pushed Demetrious Johnson, I wouldn’t think anything less of Mighty Mouse if he ran away. I’d run away!

I give props to Gordon here too. It is obvious that Gordon was 100% confident in his ability to defeat Galvao in a fight but Gordon was willing to walk away though when Galvao did not want to shake his hand and even flipped him off. When Galvao pushed the issue though by following him and instigating Gordon chose to react. He reacted just enough to make Galvao respect him though. I honestly think Gordon handled this very well. No doubt Galvao has more respect for him after this as opposed to if Gordon had just continued to walk away and if Gordon had pummeled him that would have looked bad on Gordon too.

1 Like

Az for the match, damn Gordon is good. Jimenez is no joke and Gordon was able to call his shot, pass up other submissions, and make easy work out of him. He really is an amazing jiu-jitsu athlete.

1 Like

Galvao saw Gordon walk away and like bullies do he took that as fear and thought he could walk after him and embarrass Gordon. Unfortunately for him Gordon slapped him and the world got to see which one of them was bluffing and full of fear.

4 Likes
wiggum - 
TexDeuce - 

I should add that I do not think that this situation was comparable to the one I describe again.

Andre talked shit, got hit, and should have saddled up.

1 Like
Calhoon - 
wiggum -
TexDeuce - 

I give props to Gordon here too. It is obvious that Gordon was 100% confident in his ability to defeat Galvao in a fight but Gordon was willing to walk away though when Galvao did not want to shake his hand and even flipped him off. When Galvao pushed the issue though by following him and instigating Gordon chose to react. He reacted just enough to make Galvao respect him though. I honestly think Gordon handled this very well. No doubt Galvao has more respect for him after this as opposed to if Gordon had just continued to walk away and if Gordon had pummeled him that would have looked bad on Gordon too.

Yes. Again, I’m not a Gordon fan (although I respect his unbelievable dominance). But, he struck the absolute perfect balance.

Jon Jones over reacted to DC’s push. It was such escalation. This was different. Gordon established himself, drew his line in the sand. He allowed Andre to continue the escalation, but didn’t force it.

Gordon 10-7 round.

2 Likes