Gordon Ryan vs Vinny Magalhaes FPI 3

Gordon Ryan vs Vinny Magalhaes FPI 3

The UFC Announced that Gordon Ryan’s next opponent will be the last person to beat him, Vinny Magalhaes. Vinny beat Gordon via points in 2018 and since then, Gordon has remained undefeated, winning several ADCC titles in that time.

What do you think of that match?

3 Likes

I like it. Same basic size and weight, so the haters can’t use that card this time against Ryan.

2 Likes

Isn’t it about time for Gordo to fight MMA?

Agreed. There’s no way, unless maybe ONEfc offers him a revolutionary amount of money, that I think he’d do MMA anytime soon. He’s built an incredibly strong and profitable brand in grappling and doesn’t stand to gain much by venturing into MMA. He makes prodigious money in what he’s doing now and can call his own shots, and best yet, backs it up every single time. Even as a fan of his, there’s been times when I thought “this is the time he’s probably finally going to lose” and then he just goes out and wins again, usually via non-arguable finish.

IMO watching what he’s doing and continues to do in grappling against the best the sport has to offer is more compelling than watching him get into MMA at this point. It’s kinda like when Michael Jordan retired the first time to go play baseball.

3 Likes

He should beat Vinny no problem this time

1 Like

He gonna turn Vinny’s foot around the wrong way worse than Craig did. Surprised that he is even fit to compete given his ankle gave way in ADCC from Craig’s previous efforts.

Stop asking silly questions.

Sure, also it’s time for him to do bare knuckle boxing.

2 Likes

Whatever. No gi wasn’t even a thing until some rich Arab oil baron invented it.

1 Like

Luta Livre guys are all like, WTF! When we did this you all hated us.

3 Likes

Is there a lot of submissions in bare knuckle boxing? Lots of BJJ champions transitioned to bare knuckle boxing during their careers over the decades? You do realize that BJJs primary focus and intention was originally to fight no rules, or as close to it as possible, right?

That’s cool but Gordon may not want to. He enjoys playing the game he’s in. Which is perfectly ok. Not everyone wants to get punched in the face.

1 Like

The thing with Gordon is that he’s been so retardedly dominant in no gi grappling, that he’s achieved “Mayweather Status”. The only thing he can do now that’s more impressive than what he’s already done……is lose. And once someone of that stature loses, the mystique is gone. That’s what it’s all about protecting now.

He could never roll another round in his life and just do touring seminars and instructionals and make ridiculous money. Gordon Ryan is one of the last people in combat sports who needs to do stuff like MMA or bare knuckle. He’s certainly not gonna do some $8K/$8K starving artist bullshit UFC contract. Like I said, maybe he’ll do something with ONE, because they have big time deep pockets. They’re building up the Ruotolo twins big time as their grappling stars, so I could see him doing a grappling match with one of them, but MMA is a stretch for Gordon.

Bare knuckle even more so.

2 Likes

Hmmm. For some reason I thought Vinny had passed away. Apparently not.

Who am I thinking of. Pat Berry’s mate who was a kickboxer

Rose Namajunas

3 Likes

I thought it was for the poors back in the day?

Either way, the older I get, the more fun I have doing no gi

I’ve been getting super into it as well lately out of nowhere. Less laundry.

Good for you. Curious why you think you’re enjoying no-gi more as you get older? I’ve always considered it more “athletic” than gi but a friend recently shared with me that he thinks no-gi is easier on the body as it does not have all the static gripping.

I’m old school and can hear my first Brazilian instructor yell at me anytime I think of training without the gi :wink:

1 Like

Its for that reason. Everytime I train Gi my back/neck hurts, it does happen from time to time in no gi, but its WAY less than Gi. My bro science is being pulled in all sorts of weird directions while trying to maintain posture due to the unrealistic grips of the Gi?

While it is more “athletic” aside from a few younger very athletic guys I feel like I can hang just fine. Im not sure if its my game or if I happen to have decent athleticism (although I wasn’t really good at ball sports) or if its because Im smaller allowing me to move better?

1 Like