Got my first stripe on my purple belt! Did horribl

I injured my right arm before training, My BJJ coach had me do kettlebell rounds and armbar/triangle drills before . I rolled with a guy who definatly outweighed (me high purple). Anyway, i did horrible, because my right arm was jacked couldnt post etc. After an hour of horrible preformance my BJJ coach gave me my first stripe on my purple. Was very embarassed by my preformance. Anyway, anyone have similar experience.

i'm embarassed about my whole game

yeah, my life.

http://fiskchronicles.blogspot.com

very insightful, makes me feel better and understand.

at least he didnt hand you a blue

this would probably be considered a good day in comparison to my jiu jitsu journey.

thats ok i got smashed by a high blue last night (high on energy drink).

Video...or it didn't happen. :)

(j/k, congrats!)

getting smashed by a bigger, more experienced guy is shameful.

the only person you're competing against is youself and you can't really judge yourself objectively.

your coach does a much better job of judging your performance and progress.

and you know next week you might roll with the same guy and absolutely murder him...then the day after that he'll smash you...it's just like that sometimes.

congrats! you deserve it even if you think you don't...it's not up to you! :)

I'm sure your instructor gave you a promotion based on your performance from when you first got your purple belt until now rather solely based on that single performance.

"i'm embarassed about my whole game"

^^This^^

many times ive contemplated about just switching over to muay thai all together.....but some wierd drive within just wont allow that to happen.

congrats man.. I got my purple by suprise a couple of weeks ago and kinda felt like I was in a flat spot in my training..

always comes when u least expect it...i am sure it all had to do with eXACTLY Bolo said in his post man :)

cheer up lad :)

Bolo - I'm sure your instructor gave you a promotion based on your performance from when you first got your purple belt until now rather solely based on that single performance.

I agree with Bolo here 100%. Some days are just bad training days where you just dont feel like you cant put anything together, maybe you just had one of those days.

Those days I think are very important to us as JJ practitioners, those are the days you need to push yourself and work through. Those are the times you say I need to work on my hips more or constantly put yourself in those bad positions so you are able to work out of it.

It builds character in our own journeys to our BB's. Just my take on things...

i was completely gassed and my arm was jacked - not making excuses but i mentally gave up already. I guess thats one of the big things to work on- staying focused.

Bear in mind that up to and including purple belt, the testing is still about demonstrating basics, doing proper posture and position, and not ability to beat an opponent. Though purple belt should start to show ability to anticipate and flow, there is still a lot to learn. At brown belt you're expected to start developing your 'game', and even BBs talk about seeing a great BJJ guy like Saulo and realizing they are 'beginnners' by comparison.

He probably gave you points for hanging in there and as Jen said you don't get asked to test unless you're basically qualified.

I've been trying to give my purple back since I got it. :) Welcome to the club.

You should Hillary, you dont deserve it one little bit.