Grapplers Quest at the UFC Fan Expo

In Toronto.
For two divisions, its 160 dollars (this doesn't include the extra fees associated with doing absolute or cash prize divisions). I'm sure the UFC has some serious fees for Grapplers Quest being promoted at the event, but I just can't understand tournaments going for this kind of money. I can't tell you the countless amount of competitors and training partners lost due to these high priced competitions.
Long story short, I'd like to be able to compete multiple times a year, but the way things are going, it's looking more like a 3 x a year affordability max until I magically strike it rich to support my habits. I'd also like to compete against the best but its likely the best are also going through similar circumstances.
Instead of I don't know, having 1000 competitors at 100 bucks a head, wouldn't it be more efficient (for the sport and participants, of course not for the tournament organization) to have 1500 at a possible rate of 75 instead? The same example applies to schools. Instead of having a total of 75 students at a 125 a crack, how about 150 students at 75 a crack? If you provide a quality product, you don't need to have the "gettin' while the gettin's good" rule.
I'm sure someone is going to reference within this thread the whole bjj costs money teddy bear video which favors the opinion of the instructor and not the prospective student.

Yea, it's very expensive, but I think part of it has to do with the price including entry to the UFC expo. But even without that, grapplers quest is an expensive tournament.

Your numbers are nice, but you made them up in your head. I'm sure grapplers quests has its own method of determining the price point that maximizes profits.

If no one shows up and they don't make any money then they will probably adjust their prices, but if the market supports it, then people are getting what they want.

Yeah that's crazy.

Its tough for a lot of guys even at local tourney's that are running 55 dollars now.