Grappling match i had

Didnt get the whole thing recorded, but i had a fun match agaisnt a bellator and pfl vet at naga in Massachusetts last month. Figured I’d upload it here for some feedback

4 Likes

Here’s one i had as a white belt where I got worked pretty badly.

Are you asking how to defend it or how to finish? I wanted to invert under into backside, but he was really strong and had my head tied up. Couldnt get a cross lat post or anything to invert.

I dont think he had good 50/50 defense aside from clamping onto me, but that’s on me for not being able to finish

I am purple, but have been training 11 years. This was ‘expert’ division, so purple-black

Here’s a good vid on 50 defense that explains it better than I can. Giancarolo Bodoni and Rob Degle have good videos that are a bit longer for free on youtube

3 Likes

Looks like you were grappling Ali Zebian from Springfield.

He is a solid fighter because he is a dog/a true fighter. Mentally tough as hell.

But his grappling needs a lot of work. He wrestled in high school and JuCo but not a high level at all. And he is a BJJ white belt.

He had all the potential in the world a few years ago but instead chose to train himself.

Great match. You looked relaxed and threatened constantly. Good hips.

1 Like

Yep! He was a super nice guy. I looked him up and saw bellator and was a little shook tbh. Wasnt sure what his grappling background was so i pulled guard immediately. Nothing but good things to say about him from my brief interaction with him

2 Likes

He is probably one of the nicest and most humble dudes you will find.

He has MMA wins over a UFC vet and has won a single night 8 man tournament (155lbs) 2 years ago.

1 Like

Yea, i watched his fights afterwards. The slippery pete fight was really good. Are you in the boston area? I moved to NJ, but was in MA visiting friends and decided to do naga while i was there

Thank you! I tried a sweep from butterfly half and failed so i went over into an arm saddle.

Yeah, back take was slick as hell.

1 Like

From Springfield actually. Next time up you should swing by our gym…some really good guys there.

1 Like

nice match (1st one)…
solid sweep with the kimura.
Nice transition from back mount to mount.

for construction criticism…
It didn’t seem to me like you had much of a crossface from mount. If his head was turned it was bc he wanted it turned.
You were pretty casual with your free arm not posting it out wide when you weren’t dominating his elbow.
You body stayed really centered over him.

from 50/50… peel that arm off your head asap. I saw one sort-of attempt at that late when he was elbow deep

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! My coach also gave me crap for my mount retention lol. In 50 i initially tried to clear his grips so i could invert through, but eventually i decided i was up and could retain 50 and win on points. Scumbag approach, but it is what it is

can’t blame you from a strategy perspective with time running out, but for your health that can be a lot of strain on your neck if someone can start to put can opener type pressure even as you’re trying to extend him away.

2 Likes