Greatest sub finishers in HW MMA history?

I’d say Werdum has to be the greatest given who he has submitted. In terms of quantity, you can’t touch Oleynik and I’m not sure anyone ever will. Almost 50 subs in pro fights, at HW.

Even on the brink of retirement and in his 40’s, Werdum submitted the current unified PFLlator champ and thats not even in his top 5 most impressive subs over his career.

I think Werdum smoking Gus is the last time I’ve seen an armbar in the HW UFC and Gane’s heel hook over Mayes is the last HW heel hook I’ve seen and it was the first one in forever.

Werdum-12
Big Nog-21
Oleynik 48
Monson- 36
Mir-9
Fedor-15
Barnett-19
Rodriguez- 25
De Fries-14
Ishii 12
Minakov-7
Almeida-12
DC-5

I look forward to what Buchecha, Aspinall and Almeida can do in the future in terms of finding those rare subs in the HW division.

6 Likes

SeegI K. :- 9
Black Beast :- 1
Spivac : - 7
Tybura. :- 6
Romanov. :- 9

Werdum submitted Erikson, Overeem, Aleks, Fedor, Big Nog, Cain, Gus and Ferreira (the current PFLlator unified champ) among others.

Oleinik submitted 14 fighters via ezekiel choke and found time to find 11 other subs as well among his 48 total.

Monson has 17 wins via north-south choke.

2 Likes

Personal 3 are Mir, Nog, and Werdum, k shamrock a close 4th

2 Likes

I suppose Mikhail Ilyukhin was LHW but seemed huge and somehow deserved an honorable mention despite being in the wrong fucking weight class. He did compete in open weight at times and definitely went up against some heavies.

Statistically Werdum is the GOAT HW