GSP agrees with criticism, wants to finish fights

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up -
Frobenius - I don't agree with the criticism, he fights tough guys and you can't always get a finish. The only legit boring fight imo was the Kos fight, but when you realise that GSP was blind in one eye for most of it its hard to hold it against him.

Pretty sure it was Koscheck who was blind for that snoozer.

Then GSP was blind for the Shields snoozer.

No one was blind for the Hardy snoozer.

Oops yeah, meant shields. You can't say he didn't go for the finish against Hardy... Phone Post

CLINTK9 - Some whiney GSP fans need to understand its not bashing him, its wanting him to try harder to take chances and get some finish so his fights are more exciting. not to bash himno one likes decision after decision. Funny he even realizes he's been playing it safe and needs to taske more chances and then there his nuthuggin mancrush fans who cant even agree with the fighter himself.

GSP has just said he AGREES with the critisism and nees to take more chances to finish fights or go for the kill.

and some on here are still bitching fans feel that way too.

WTF is wrong ith some of you? You'd rather fighters fight for decisions and play point safe fighting games than actually try to fight and win, before the judges are invovled. WEIRD Fans mma has.

Yep you said it buddy, GSP doesn't try to fight and win. I'm sure when he had Hardy locked up in the armbar/kimura, or Alves in the RNC, or just beating the hell out of Fitch and Koscheck he was just thinking, "boy these sure are going to get me a lot of points!"

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Fans don't bash him for being boring, they bash him because of what he did to their hero BJ Penn and that is the only thing they can say negative about him so they harp on it relentlessly and never let go

When have you EVER seen BJ point fight? Exactly. GSP beat BJ, maybe with a little help from some grease. Still beat him. On the flip side, I can see why George point fights. When you have millions of dollars at stake if you lose (potentially) who gives a shit about a of the night bonus. Gsp has pretty much the biggest sponsors of any mma fighters. Why risk it if you can point fight to a fat payday? Shit, if I was in his position, I'd probably point fight too. Phone Post

EDIT: Buck65- Dude come on. He already admitted he was too cautious and timid in the last few fights, no one is talking about Fitch or Alves. The criticism came from Hardy/Koscheck/Shields. Please just accept it and know that we have the right to be critical of those performances. GSP already has.

suess - 

i don't care if he finishes fights, so long as he's putting a beating on someone and he's wearing those tight little shorts.

i mean, as long as he's whoopin ass, ya!

so the truth comes out...

in any event..props to gsp for recognizing this, but i have a feeling he will still fight very conservatively with condit especially after the long lay off

I have way more respect for someone who says, "I understand what the fans are saying, I'm going to try harder", than someone who denies any and all responsibility and gets offended for criticism.

Even if GSP plays it safe, at least he admits that what the fans are saying is justified. More than I can say for some other fighters who call fans stupid and uneducated. Phone Post

I still believe the criticism of GSP is unwarranted for the most part. It's not like he didn't try to tap out Hardy (90% of fighters would've tapped) and he broke Kos's orbital bone with jabs (the fight should've been stopped).

Regardless, no one can argue how completely dominant he's been. He's fought all the top WW contenders and humbled them. In my books, he deserves recognition for what he's done, not criticism for what he hasn't.

Good for him. He's got his hands full with Condit.

kevsh - I still believe the criticism of GSP is unwarranted for the most part. It's not like he didn't try to tap out Hardy (90% of fighters would've tapped) and he broke Kos's orbital bone with jabs (the fight should've been stopped).

Regardless, no one can argue how completely dominant he's been. He's fought all the top WW contenders and humbled them. In my books, he deserves recognition for what he's done, not criticism for what he hasn't.

VTFU, exactly this.

The fact he gets any criticism for the Hardy fight is insane, I have no idea how Hardy managed to drag that to a decision.

Rogans secret stash - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Fans don't bash him for being boring, they bash him because of what he did to their hero BJ Penn and that is the only thing they can say negative about him so they harp on it relentlessly and never let go

When have you EVER seen BJ point fight? Exactly. GSP beat BJ, maybe with a little help from some grease. Still beat him. On the flip side, I can see why George point fights. When you have millions of dollars at stake if you lose (potentially) who gives a shit about a of the night bonus. Gsp has pretty much the biggest sponsors of any mma fighters. Why risk it if you can point fight to a fat payday? Shit, if I was in his position, I'd probably point fight too. Phone Post

The Fitch fight. In BJs post fight interviews from that fight, he was even arguing how he should have won the 1st couple rounds due to his positioning and takedowns That is literally the definition of point fighting.. lol. It's funny how BJ huggers are in complete denial about that. I would say the Edgar fights too because he never once went for the finish in any of the 10 rounds.

no one is arguing that GSP literally just lays there and does nothing, but the level of risk he takes relative to his ability is EXTREMELY low which has led to a number of lackluster fights...going for a kimura in side control is basically 0 risk...going for a leg lock with 2 sec left in the round is basicaly 0 risk...throwing a jab is low risk etc etc.

Frobenius - 
kevsh - I still believe the criticism of GSP is unwarranted for the most part. It's not like he didn't try to tap out Hardy (90% of fighters would've tapped) and he broke Kos's orbital bone with jabs (the fight should've been stopped).

VTFU, exactly this.

The fact he gets any criticism for the Hardy fight is insane, I have no idea how Hardy managed to drag that to a decision.

The armbar wasn't applied properly, and GSP wouldn't fully commit to the kimura by stepping over fully because he didn't want to RISK losing the position. Gumby arms never hurts the cause though...

Buck 65 - 
Rogans secret stash - 

The Fitch fight. In BJs post fight interviews from that fight, he was even arguing how he should have won the 1st couple rounds due to his positioning and takedowns That is literally the definition of point fighting.. lol. It's funny how BJ huggers are in complete denial about that. I would say the Edgar fights too because he never once went for the finish in any of the 10 rounds.

LMAO at this logic. So BJ takes Fitch down and passes to the most dominant position you can get, and repeatedly tries to choke him out....

But because afterwards he says he thought he won the rounds he was point fighting?

You really are stinking up the thread mang.

GSP is awesome.  I really hope he comes back in full form.

studiocamp -
Frobenius - I don't agree with the criticism, he fights tough guys and you can't always get a finish. The only legit boring fight imo was the Kos fight, but when you realise that GSP was blind in one eye for most of it its hard to hold it against him.

How about when you realize Kos was the one who was blind for 4 rounds of the fight and GSP still couldn't finish him?

That fight should have been stopped and the damage later revealed proves it. Phone Post

Il Duce - 
studiocamp -

How about when you realize Kos was the one who was blind for 4 rounds of the fight and GSP still couldn't finish him?

That fight should have been stopped and the damage later revealed proves it. Phone Post

It should have been stopped if the Dr. felt Kos could not see properly. Kos said he could see, and followed the Dr.'s finger test. The damage could only be seen via X-ray.

He's gunna need to make a statement in this fight to show that he's back and better then before. Also If he was to fight Anderson next it wouldn't hurt to get a finish against condit just to make the fans believe that the superfight would be a competitive match. Phone Post

I agree totally with this. I have never understood the critisim for this fight. If your hurt you have to be safe and use what tools you have based on your injury. GSP has been controling for wins for a while but the KOS fight I understand.

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

Pretty sure it was Koscheck who was blind for that snoozer.

Then GSP was blind for the Shields snoozer.

No one was blind for the Hardy snoozer.

Oh yeah it was the shields fight. My bad my comments go toward the Shields fight. lol