GSP: Diaz is probably the best boxer in MMA

one moar

http://i.minus.com/iwcYHtwB4e76T.gif

Condit kickboxed and ran he knew it was over if he tested pure boxing vs pure boxing. that's why these guys have to gameplan against Nick so much.

Thanks for the embeds hendofan. Best boxer in MMA is showcased in those gifs, lol.

And I'm not saying Diaz isn't an OK boxer, he is definitely up there. If he didn't have a granite chin he would be KO'd in most of his fights though, dude takes as many shots to the face as Christy Mack

Lick Boners - And I'm not saying Diaz isn't an OK boxer, he is definitely up there. If he didn't have a granite chin he would be KO'd in most of his fights though, dude takes as many shots to the face as Christy Mack
As other people have asked, how many HARD shot has he taken? Obviously he's taken a few but he's also good at rolling with punches to lessen the damage. Getting hit is part of standing in the pocket going to the head and body as opposed to throwing a pumping jab and backing up. Phone Post 3.0

I think GSP is an underrated boxer, sure he plays it safe, but early in his career when he was primarily a striker he did well with strikers an he has never really had a lot if problems in the feet.

Suprised no one mentions Josh Thompson and KJ noons, both excellent boxers Phone Post 3.0

TFK_SickEye - 
Lick Boners - And I'm not saying Diaz isn't an OK boxer, he is definitely up there. If he didn't have a granite chin he would be KO'd in most of his fights though, dude takes as many shots to the face as Christy Mack
As other people have asked, how many HARD shot has he taken? Obviously he's taken a few but he's also good at rolling with punches to lessen the damage. Getting hit is part of standing in the pocket going to the head and body as opposed to throwing a pumping jab and backing up. Phone Post 3.0

Fair point, I haven't watched Diaz's career with so much passion to remember or know the answer. Just seems he gets hit alot with good shots, maybe if we looked at them in slow mo we might see him roll with alot of the shots.

Maybe you can remember better being a big fan of him

^^^ don't downplay your passion for Nick Lick!

:^D Phone Post 3.0

TFK_SickEye - ^^^ don't downplay your passion for Nick Lick!

:^D Phone Post 3.0

To love Nick, I need to hate Nick

-Lick Boners

LOL voted up Phone Post 3.0

hendofanforlife -
Lick Boners - one moar

Dayummmm Phone Post 3.0

Southpaw76 - 
Kinkle - Lol I love how many morons disagree then list either no reason they disagree or stupid/false reasons Phone Post 3.0
Ill list some. Little or no head movement. Poor footwork stands flatfooted much of the time. He also wings his hooks much like a haymaker rather than throwing a crisp tight hook. He is good with volume and cardio but the word i take issue with here is "best".

Watch any of the other fighters i listed above and you will see the difference. Phone Post 3.0

I've seen Nick throw some pretty tight hooks my friend

he dropped noons with one and he dropped zaromskis with one just to name a couple

The more GSP talks the less I like him. Anyone that watches boxing knows this is nonsense. Diaz has no head movement, no power, no offensive or defensive footwork. He's a good boxer, but "best", far from. 

MarkRobinson - 
whooleeo - I know imma get shit for this but I disagree with gsp, diaz is a good volume striker with great conditioning but as for as technique. Far from the best. Just look at the first round of him vs bj.. bj was tagging him up before bj gassed...
BJ was indeed thoroughly out boxing Diaz. Phone Post 3.0

but then...

subwrassler - 
MarkRobinson - 
whooleeo - I know imma get shit for this but I disagree with gsp, diaz is a good volume striker with great conditioning but as for as technique. Far from the best. Just look at the first round of him vs bj.. bj was tagging him up before bj gassed...
BJ was indeed thoroughly out boxing Diaz. Phone Post 3.0

but then...

but then Nick got smart, clinched BJ up against the fence, BJ gassed, and then Diaz beat the dog shit out of him. 

This was excellent strategy on Nick's part, but BJ was right to call Nick out given Nick gave GSP so much crap about fighting BJ in that style.

brahmabull81 - ^ Clinch body work is boxing. I know it doesnt seem that way now as most boxers just tend to hold or rabbit punch until the ref separates the fighters but one of the most important parts of boxing is the clinch and breaking the head/body down while utilizing it.

Defensive clinching is part of boxing. And that's even sketchy since it's actually illegal as hell and depending on the ref can get you disqualified. 

What Nick was doing was offensive clinching which is not a part of boxing but a unique part of MMA due to it being perfectly legal and the ref not being inclined to seperate you.

I've NEVER been in a boxing gym where they taught you to clinch someone who's smaller as a way of gassing them. That wouldn't even work because you'd keep getting seperated. And especially from a guy with the reach advantage that'd just be an absurd strategy. 

Seriously... site one fight that I can go reference where it was part of the fighters offensive gameplan to clinch and hold the guy up against the ropes. And do not confuse clinching with crowding. What Nick did was the former, not the latter. 

Maybe you just need to rewatch the fight. Nick was throwing more knees in the clinch than punches lol.

Vitor Belfort perhaps?

hendofanforlife -
Lick Boners - one moar

This. Thank you for the visual. Gsp was able to dominate even the striking that fight. Again im a big gsp fan but it does a lot to help his case as the GOAT if a guy he beat easily can then somehow beat anderson. He and anderson have unfinished business Phone Post 3.0

House Boru - George aint no dummy
There's a reason Gsp was controlling diaz in the fetal position for most the fight.

When George started to throw hands, he immediately was landed on, and took nick down again. Phone Post 3.0

ccoplhk -
Southpaw76 - 
Kinkle - Lol I love how many morons disagree then list either no reason they disagree or stupid/false reasons Phone Post 3.0
Ill list some. Little or no head movement. Poor footwork stands flatfooted much of the time. He also wings his hooks much like a haymaker rather than throwing a crisp tight hook. He is good with volume and cardio but the word i take issue with here is "best".

Watch any of the other fighters i listed above and you will see the difference. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think you understand how head movement is supposed to work. Anderson Silva type head movement might be aesthetically pleasing, but overreacting and moving your head that much can leave you open to punches (Chris Weidman doubled up on one side with the backfist and the left hook caught Silva as he was reacting to the backfist). The reason why Silva's overreacting head movement works so well is because people in mma rarely double up on the same side so Anderson knows when he evades a strike there is a high percentage chance the next one is coming from the other side. Slips like Diaz does don't look like a person evaded a punch, but you do and are in good position to evade the next strike or counter.

As for him being flat-footed, he is straight up probably the tallest fighter in his division and isn't a good wrestler making his legs available for anyone who wants to take him down. He needs to lower his stance. Try not being upright (he also knows people will likely take him down) and a little crouched but on your toes and having footwork. You will not be able to do it for long and will tire out. As someone who needs to keep a high pace, I doubt he wants to do this. The people you listed like Edgar have a wrestling background and are midgets in their division which allows them to stand up and move around as their legs are much less available.

As for the looping punches, I think that has to do with the MMA gloves vs boxing gloves. The boxing gloves would not allow looping punches as simply keeping one close to your ear like a cell phone will blog any looping shots as they would also likely be telegraphed. In MMA with smaller gloves and 10 punch combinations, throwing looping hooks with regular ones (he does throw both) forces opponents to move their gloves along the side of their head making more punches get through. When your a Diaz its not about landing every punch. If Nick lands a few punches per combination by keeping his opponents guessing, eventually he will have landed enough to wear them down enough.
I have boxed for over 12 yrs i understand how it works. You are talking about how a good boxer makes them miss a little like whn a fighter throws an entire combination on mayweather and the crowd reacts thinking hes going down. They dont realized his oppenent hit nothing but air. The problem is this just isnt diaz. He is more of a brawler and a stand and trade type fighter.

As far as the footwork you may have a point here. Diaz has poor wrestling so this may impede his footwork if he is worried about the td Phone Post 3.0