GSP: Diaz is probably the best boxer in MMA

Southpaw76 - 
ccoplhk -
Southpaw76 - 
Kinkle - Lol I love how many morons disagree then list either no reason they disagree or stupid/false reasons Phone Post 3.0
Ill list some. Little or no head movement. Poor footwork stands flatfooted much of the time. He also wings his hooks much like a haymaker rather than throwing a crisp tight hook. He is good with volume and cardio but the word i take issue with here is "best".

Watch any of the other fighters i listed above and you will see the difference. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think you understand how head movement is supposed to work. Anderson Silva type head movement might be aesthetically pleasing, but overreacting and moving your head that much can leave you open to punches (Chris Weidman doubled up on one side with the backfist and the left hook caught Silva as he was reacting to the backfist). The reason why Silva's overreacting head movement works so well is because people in mma rarely double up on the same side so Anderson knows when he evades a strike there is a high percentage chance the next one is coming from the other side. Slips like Diaz does don't look like a person evaded a punch, but you do and are in good position to evade the next strike or counter.

As for him being flat-footed, he is straight up probably the tallest fighter in his division and isn't a good wrestler making his legs available for anyone who wants to take him down. He needs to lower his stance. Try not being upright (he also knows people will likely take him down) and a little crouched but on your toes and having footwork. You will not be able to do it for long and will tire out. As someone who needs to keep a high pace, I doubt he wants to do this. The people you listed like Edgar have a wrestling background and are midgets in their division which allows them to stand up and move around as their legs are much less available.

As for the looping punches, I think that has to do with the MMA gloves vs boxing gloves. The boxing gloves would not allow looping punches as simply keeping one close to your ear like a cell phone will blog any looping shots as they would also likely be telegraphed. In MMA with smaller gloves and 10 punch combinations, throwing looping hooks with regular ones (he does throw both) forces opponents to move their gloves along the side of their head making more punches get through. When your a Diaz its not about landing every punch. If Nick lands a few punches per combination by keeping his opponents guessing, eventually he will have landed enough to wear them down enough.
I have boxed for over 12 yrs i understand how it works. You are talking about how a good boxer makes them miss a little like whn a fighter throws an entire combination on mayweather and the crowd reacts thinking hes going down. They dont realized his oppenent hit nothing but air. The problem is this just isnt diaz. He is more of a brawler and a stand and trade type fighter.

As far as the footwork you may have a point here. Diaz has poor wrestling so this may impede his footwork if he is worried about the td Phone Post 3.0

Diaz has a 57% striking defense, which is very high in the UFC, especially for a nonwrestler. Michael Bisping and Jose Aldo only have about 10 percent higher and they use kicks and knees to keep them honest. If he brawled and stood and trade, he wouldn't have a higher end of striking defense in the UFC.

Not trying to hate on Diaz as usual, but let's see his statistics when he keeps fighting 10 more fights against top 10 welterweights instead of alot of lightweights and top 50 welterweights in SF.

Aldo has sick statistics compared to Nick and the man is facing the #2 guy in the world in each of his fights. Apples to oranges bro.

HandyDarsh - 
House Boru - George aint no dummy
There's a reason Gsp was controlling diaz in the fetal position for most the fight.

When George started to throw hands, he immediately was landed on, and took nick down again. Phone Post 3.0

GSP did not control Diaz from that position. Whenever Nick went there, GSP was constantly trying and failing to get into Nick's guard. The only round GSP controlled anything was the 1st, and a little bit of the 2nd.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
I Got extendos, I GOT EXTENDOS! - I fucking knew there would be people calling bullshit on the opinion of one of the greatest mma fighters of all time who also prepared, game planned and fought the person in question.

Lmao Phone Post 3.0

Since when is GSP an expert in boxing? Why does it offend you that people agree more with Freddie Roach than GSP when it comes to boxing technique?

Roach recently said at his gym, Wild Card Boxing. “To make an adjustment to fight Diaz is not hard.”

His boxing is regarded by many in the MMA community as being some of the best in the UFC. However, when asked of what he thinks of Diaz’s boxing prowess, Roach was quick to shoot down any notion that he has the best hands in the UFC.

“Bulls*t. I know it’s bulls*t,” Roach said. “He fires arm punches … walks forward and crosses his legs, his balance is off. I’m not impressed.”
Lol, not sure where you got offended from i would call it amused.

I find it funny that whenever a fighter who has actually been there and done that gives a view a huge amount of nobodies (not being derogatory to you, but most of us are - me included) step up and call it bullshit.

Much in the way (if you use your search function) the thread uncle creepy created saying that fighter pay is a lot better than the public think and he is well remunerated and there were hundreds of posts with people arguing with him about it. I find it very funny.

When talking about ww nick is up there, if arguably the goat ww wants to call him the best boxer in mma i can live with that - maybe at ww he is.

If you look at my post history it will indicate that i am by no means a fan of nick diaz either (although by my own concession i have to admit im missing him being around) Phone Post 3.0

Just to add, I think the best technically sound boxers in the ufc are..

Swanson
Bobby green (very underrated)
Silva
Diaz (slow movement)
Edgar (Defense can be poor Sometimes)
JDS (Offense is his only defense)

Many descent MMA boxers in the UFC though.

I think he means if you both put 8 oz. On and fought a boxing rules match Diaz would probably be the best. He'd be up there because that's his zone. But he doesn't have the best hands as some of you are taking it. Phone Post 3.0

UK Asylum - Just to add, I think the best technically sound boxers in the ufc are..

Swanson
Bobby green (very underrated)
Silva
Diaz (slow movement)
Edgar (Defense can be poor Sometimes)
JDS (Offense is his only defense)

Many descent MMA boxers in the UFC though.
Bobby Green has the best instinct and hands imo Phone Post 3.0

newtotheinterweb - I'm sorry but a good boxer uses footwork and head movement. Diaz has great hands but overall not a great boxer. This is evident in the amount of shots he eats. Phone Post 3.0
Yea, I'm sure you know more about Nick's skill than GSP. Phone Post 3.0

I am eager to see the silva vs Diaz fight . In my head I see it going exactly like the griffin silva fight went down. Nick will stand flat footed with zero head movement running forward which will allow Silva to dance and counter ( like his matrix moves).

Nick is durable but but he has been dropped many times by smaller guys with less power and accuracy.

IMO this is the perfect fight for Silva to get a highlight win and the worst fight for Diaz, but he will get a huge payday and Silva wins in getting another highlight finish , pushing him into the middle weight picture again.

I am sure I will get hate for this but I hate how Silva is always looking to fight the smaller guys, sure he went to LHW to fight some guys tailor made , but they didn't have any major size difference. Most of his call outs are smaller guys like GSP, he avoided Jones in the same way GSP avoided Silva , when Silva is a decent sized lhw. Phone Post 3.0

Avenged MOFO - I am eager to see the silva vs Diaz fight . In my head I see it going exactly like the griffin silva fight went down. Nick will stand flat footed with zero head movement running forward which will allow Silva to dance and counter ( like his matrix moves).

Nick is durable but but he has been dropped many times by smaller guys with less power and accuracy.

IMO this is the perfect fight for Silva to get a highlight win and the worst fight for Diaz, but he will get a huge payday and Silva wins in getting another highlight finish , pushing him into the middle weight picture again.

I am sure I will get hate for this but I hate how Silva is always looking to fight the smaller guys, sure he went to LHW to fight some guys tailor made , but they didn't have any major size difference. Most of his call outs are smaller guys like GSP, he avoided Jones in the same way GSP avoided Silva , when Silva is a decent sized lhw. Phone Post 3.0

I've never understood people saying that Diaz is so durable. He's been KO'd before. He's been dropped a lot. And he cuts extrememly easily. Add in that he's fighting mostly lightweights and I'm not overly impressed.

Really, when has he taken big shots and not been floored or cut? IMO what saves Diaz is that he's very well rounded. When Daley dropped him Daley didn't follow him to the floor for the finish for fear of being submitted. BJ he was able to tire with his great clinch game. Cyborg and Marius he also bested via his grappling and gameplanning. When he's fought elite fighters he's been handled easily. I just wish Condit and GSP would've actually gone for the finish more, put his chin to the test.

brahmabull81 - Id agree with George. Youve got other guys that have really good aspects to their boxing, like BJs jab and head movement, Andersons head movement, Dominics footwork, etc. But Nick has the best overall boxing imo. His defense is solid, his output is off the charts... his bodywork... his range finding, his clinch range boxing skills... his ability to load up on the right punches in a combo and his abilities to probably fire back boxing counters/combos under fire are top notch... you can really go on.

If hes not the best hes one of them.
Yep Phone Post 3.0

MisterHawkeMMA -
Avenged MOFO - I am eager to see the silva vs Diaz fight . In my head I see it going exactly like the griffin silva fight went down. Nick will stand flat footed with zero head movement running forward which will allow Silva to dance and counter ( like his matrix moves).

I've never understood people saying that Diaz is so durable. He's been KO'd before. He's been dropped a lot. And he cuts extrememly easily. Add in that he's fighting mostly lightweights and I'm not overly impressed.

Really, when has he taken big shots and not been floored or cut? IMO what saves Diaz is that he's very well rounded. When Daley dropped him Daley didn't follow him to the floor for the finish for fear of being submitted. BJ he was able to tire with his great clinch game. Cyborg and Marius he also bested via his grappling and gameplanning. When he's fought elite fighters he's been handled easily. I just wish Condit and GSP would've actually gone for the finish more, put his chin to the test.

How many fighters survive the shots he took? Phone Post 3.0

MisterHawkeMMA -

When he fights elite fighters he gets handled easily?

That must be why Condit ran away and out pointed him in fear of engaging. Phone Post 3.0

CerronePoundsOnMeStrong - 
MisterHawkeMMA -

That must be why Condit ran away and out pointed him in fear of engaging. Phone Post 3.0

You may not approve of the style Condit used, but he made that fight ridiculously easy for himself. He barely took any damage and scored consistently. It was like a Mahweather fight where the guy simply doesnt have the ability to touch Floyd and Floyd knows it. Diaz's footwork is complete garbage. His idea of cutting off the ring is talking enough trash to get you to forget your gameplan and brawl. 

Rory has some of the best combos. He utilizes body shots very well. Phone Post 3.0

MisterHawkeMMA -
MisterHawkeMMA -

You may not approve of the style Condit used, but he made that fight ridiculously easy for himself. He barely took any damage and scored consistently. It was like a Mahweather fight where the guy simply doesnt have the ability to touch Floyd and Floyd knows it. Diaz's footwork is complete garbage. His idea of cutting off the ring is talking enough trash to get you to forget your gameplan and brawl. 

This. People who think condit was running away dont understand. You dont score points running away. He would circle and create distance then strike using angles to avoid getting backed into the cage.

Diaz gets most finishes when he traps opponents next to the cage and overwhelms them with volume. When this didnt work he was unable to adapt. He either didnt have the footwork or the fight IQ to deal with this Phone Post 3.0

The more I think about this the more I see Anderson just being too big and too technical. He will likely be more defensive as well.

MisterHawkeMMA -

Yup, he KOd Zaromskis on the feet using his grappling.

Fucking Moran. Phone Post 3.0

"He's been handled easily"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Phone Post 3.0

Southpaw76 -
MisterHawkeMMA -
MisterHawkeMMA -

This. People who think condit was running away dont understand. You dont score points running away. He would circle and create distance then strike using angles to avoid getting backed into the cage.

Diaz gets most finishes when he traps opponents next to the cage and overwhelms them with volume. When this didnt work he was unable to adapt. He either didnt have the footwork or the fight IQ to deal with this Phone Post 3.0
That's fine if you just want to secure a decision and get a win but fuck that. These guys are supposed to fight and Condit didn't throw or land anything significant in 25 minutes. From an entertainment standpoint, Nick did his job and tried to make it a fight and Condit didn't.

You call it a good game plan but I call it boring and its a style that kills any mainstream appeal that MMA has. Phone Post 3.0