GSP or Usman? Welterweight GOAT

So who is it UG? Was the competition that GSP faced tougher or did Usman face the toughest competition? GSP had 9 titlt defenses to Usmans 5.

GSP faced criticism near the end if his career that he was “fighting not to lose” rather than taking chances trying to finish fights against some stiff competition. His Hendricks and Diaz fights were also very controversial

How would Usman fair vs a prime BJ Penn? Prime Matt Hughes? What about a murderous Johnny Hendricks on a night he was able to make weight?

Many valid points can be made for either fighter, and I guess we will never know but Im interested to hear some more discussion on this.

Another fact to keep in mind that the sport was still new and evolving when GSP was thriving and the modern era of “complete fighters” was growing and evolving. The time of a one dimensional champion was starting to phase out, thus setting up the breed of current fighters who literally have to be experts and killers in all aspects of mma.

1 Like

4 Likes

Georges and it’s not even close. Usman does not compare. Neither does Woodley. Lol

georges st pierre gsp GIF

21 Likes

That^

4 Likes

Will listen to an argument for Usman though GSP is my pick for overall mma goat. So it would take a lot of convincing for me.

4 Likes

Duh

G
S
P

1 Like

Thats how I feel as well. Im was a big fan of St. Pierre when he was in his prime. I also would have loved to see him continue but you could see he wasnt mentally as excited as he was when he was going up through the ranks.

I wish the fight between him and Anderson had come to fruition. Not sure that gsp would have beat that version of Silve at the time. (Im pretty sure that was before silvas leg got fucked up)

3 Likes

GSP is at worst the third or fourth greatest mma fighter of all time. And i wouldn’t argue if you had him #1.

Rogan saying Woodley/Usman are the best welterweights of all time during their reigns is the funniest joke he’s ever told. That must mean Leon is one win away from being greater than GSP too.

4 Likes

I bet both Woodley and Usman would say GSP is # 1.

Does Usman have some fight coming up they are trying to hype?

2 Likes

Rogan has always had a weird bias in favor of black fighters. He doesn’t give GSP anything close to the credit he deserves. Calling Woodley the welterweight GOAT was beyond ridiculous.

6 Likes

Dumb question. Only an idiot would call Marty the WW GOAT

Usman would have needed another 3-4 good wins to have had a serious argument in this.

Prime GSP could beat the current 185, 170, and 155 champs IMHO. Frame wise he might fit best in LW and skill wise he would be just fine in any of the divisions.

4 Likes

Wasnt calling Marty the GOAT. Simply trying to spark a discussion. I think GSP is among the best of all time of any weight class.

I’m Not Impressed With Your Performance

2 Likes

gsp

Diaz fight was controversial ?

2 Likes

Anybody picking Usman is a fucking idiot who can’t think for themselves, and probably thought Rhonda was special as well after Rogan said it.

GSP and there is no discussion to even have.

3 Likes

Also, that fight record is atrocious. Nobody gives a single fuck about “cancelled bouts” when looking at a fight record.

Wikipedia and sherdog’a fight finder are superior to that garbage.

1 Like

I didn’t SEE anything. He was literally saying in interviews, before title defenses, “I’m not in it, mentally any more”, and still winning lol.