GSP vs JAKE SHIELDS IN TORONTO

If you are going by what you have seen on TV thus far, sure it certainly leads you to think this way. But having been behind the scenes. I know that advertising and kick ass highlight reels tilt peoples views. Brock looked unbeatable right... That is just one example.

I'm just going by every single fight of both of their careers.

That's all.

And my money was on Cain. :)

Good call on Cain, that was a smart move. Well you sound like you know your stuff, then you might see what I am saying when so many people said Jake was going to get knocked out by the last guys I mentioned. It's one of those things you don't want to admit but know is possible haha. When someone tells me be the house...You gotta give it some merrit. Plus Kos did not get knocked out, so I do not see the power but I do admire GSPs crisp and amazing boxing skills. I do forsee Jake possibly getting cut up unless he gets off early. GSP is very precise, but my thoughts are Jake is the most dominant grappler GSP has ever really faced. And just as much as GSP could possibly KO jake, it is equally dangerous that Jake Can Submit or dominate GSP on the ground.

frontrowbrian -  GSP is a God in Canada but it needs Lesnar if they want to sell out the dome

you underestimate gsp's drawing power in ontario.

Wanna put a bet on that fight FightSponsor??

Jake wins, I'll buy two blue names for users here of your choice.

GSP wins, you buy two blue names for users here of my choice.

I wish Dana would stop saying it would ruin the experience by having over 30k people in the crowd. Being a part of something huge is fun in of itself.

I hate to bring up the comparison but look at WWE, 93,173 people piled into the Silverdome for WM3. I bet the last thing someone who went would say "I went to WM 3 but had shitty seats". Fuck no, they'd say I saw Hogan slam Andre LIVE!

If UFC did a dome or stadium show once or twice a year and make it something special, it would be a huge deal. Aloha Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Rogers Centre...all of these would sell out with the right card.

They really shouldnt set a cap on the amount of fans that can go. Thats retarded. Say they do sell 40,000 tickets, we know theres atleast 20,000 more that can sell. Are you going to say "Fuck you" to that many fans that would die to be in attendance? Really?

I would totally bet, unfortunately I am going through some serious stuff with my ex. No more credit cards at the moment. But I will do the next best thing, and admit your knowledge was superior if things go that way. Believe me anything is possible in this fight, it is not as one sided as most people think. I am sure you pick the right guy most of the time, as do I. This situation to me, is one that looks one way but there is that long shot weirdness that changes the outcome lol. If I didn't know Jake, and his behind the scenes gym matches with other big names and their outcomes. Then I would bet based on what TV persuades me to see, but there is something I know we are not seeing that you can't catch on past fight coverage. For example, no one imagined Jakes Henderson fight looking the way it did. Nor did I imagine Jakes last fight to look as poorly as it did. Jake has crazy cardio but that massive weight cut showed him gassing early. His style is not something you can prepare for, since it is his own and not something you can hire training partners to mimic. Lots of hidden moves, that you can't really see from TV. It took me a while to catch on to be honest. He was the head instructor at my gym for a while. If I thought he was gonna get freight trained, I would say it how it is. On paper yes, on what is not seen NO. This is his dream fight, and he will treat it as such. Not a laid back approach to Kampman. StrikeForce tried to make him leave a loser and devaluate him with Henderson, he will defy the odds like that once again.

Fillups422 - I wish Dana would stop saying it would ruin the experience by having over 30k people in the crowd. Being a part of something huge is fun in of itself.

I hate to bring up the comparison but look at WWE, 93,173 people piled into the Silverdome for WM3. I bet the last thing someone who went would say "I went to WM 3 but had shitty seats". Fuck no, they'd say I saw Hogan slam Andre LIVE!

If UFC did a dome or stadium show once or twice a year and make it something special, it would be a huge deal. Aloha Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Rogers Centre...all of these would sell out with the right card.

I think pro-wrestling lends itself better to live viewing at further distances. Its movements are more theatrical, "bigger" and easier to see from further away. A guy in the nosebleeds can follow the pro-wrestling easier than MMers on the ground in the guard (for example).

I can see why they wanna restrict it, I guess. But if the fans still wanna go, why not?

Either way, it's gonna be a crazy event!

TTT for this grand event in the MMA Mecca.

FightSponsor, I agree it's not as one-sided as most think. We haven't seen GSP fight off his back enough to really assess how well he'd do if Jake got him there.
I'd still favor GSP though.

Fightsponsor, i think we can all agree Shield is a highly skilled fight and a tough guy but GSP doesnt only stand with people. I dont think Shield can sub GSP off his back and although i think he can get GSP down a couple time, I think GSP guard is very underated. The way he swept fitch and got up everytime he was on his back is very impressive.

If you have half a brain, GSP is a big favorite to win this one!

Good fight for GSP to secure a finish in.

Standing KO, completing what Kampman's knees didn't.

I understand the ex situation FightSponsor and will let you off the hook.

As for the fight. GSP can finish him anywhere, while the only thing Shields can do is try to blanket GSP and wait for the bell to ring. I will admit, that I have never seen an MMA fighter in my life that can lay on a motherfucker like Shields can. He has missed his true calling imo, he should have been a bullrider.

I dunno if K-Dub-"T" is right here. Sure Georges could probably pull off a standing KO relatively easily. Shields has ZERO standup capabilities, he's basically just a punching bag on his feet. But my gut is telling me that he wants to sub Shields to make a statement. So I'm thinking GSP will completely dominate him for a round or two, then move in for the kill with either an armbar or a RNC for the finish.

jake wins via guillotine choke

FightSponsor - I love knowing something most people will disagree with, Jake Shield will fight his fight not the one that GSP wants. Just because GSP likes it on the fee, does not mean Jake will sit there and get hit like an inflatable Fred Flinstone Doll. Plus GSP has not been finishing anyone by KO. Jake has entered the cage with those who hold serious KO power, like Daley,Henderson, Lawler... Suddenly GSP is a KO artist, ummm I think Not. I am not discrediting his reign as champ or putting down any aspect of GSP. Except that things will not go as you think they will ;) It will be one of those AHA moments for most UFC Fans. I hung out with Jake last week, He already knows he is going to win. When he is like this, I believe him 100%. It is the champion mindset, and it is in full gear. I will not argue that his last showing was poor in comparison to his true ability. This time he is coming in READY FOR WAR.

You may love knowing what Jake tells you, but the truth is Jake, no matter how much he believes he will beat GSP, will get murked. Even the most loyal fan has to know GSP is not just better but light years ahead of any WW in the world. Jake is legit, that's not up for debate, but he has never faced anything close to resembling what GSP offers. This fight goes where Georges wants it, not where Jake would prefer it and that's the sad truth for Shields and his fans alike.

I would agree that Shields has done a far better job of evolving his wrestling for MMA than Koschek (who has better amateur credentials) -- but what about Fitch?

Fitch doesn't have Shields's submission acumen, but he's got a great array of take downs and smothering top control -- and has displayed those skills successfully against a higher caliber of competition at 170.

Now, it's possible that Fitch employed a poor gameplan against GSP in their fight, but I tend to believe it was simply a matter of GSP being very good at exploiting weaknesses. Hard to believe GSP won't deliver a similar performance against Shields.

professional estimates so far have stated approx 30000-40000 gate. it would be a good idea to get more big names in there like lesnar if they want to guarantee 60000 sellout crowd. Phone Post

Catbath, ^what about the high level of welterweights Jake has beat with his game plan? Jake is not a one horse pony, and he can take a punch/kick flurry and still get his takedown. There is NOTHING more demoralizing for a fighter than being dominated on the ground. Jake makes his 170 feel like 350lbs on top of you. He has excellent balance and weight control on top, and grinds his opponents down until he finds the open sub. EM is simply violating the Terms of Service with his nonsense. Stop trolling EM, this isn't the OG... ;) Phone Post