Gustaffson: I think I made an impression..

Yes, big fella (no romo). Yes you did.

"The Mauler" talks to FIGHT! about his UFC debut, returning against Phil Davis at UFC 112 and other bits and bobs.

http://news.fightmagazine.com/alexander-gustaffson-ufc-112-mma-3840/

“Hamman was a good guy and a really good fighter and I think I made an impression by beating him,” Alex stated, in a typically humble fashion considering he devastated the American with a brutal knockout early on. “I think I showed that I’m ready for the big fights and big name opponents.”

On a night where brutal stoppages were the norm rather than the exception, Gustaffson had to compete with the likes of Andre Winner, Dennis Siver and Michael Bisping for the knockout of the night award. He admitted that he didn’t take home an added pay cheque but his efforts were duly noted. “I didn’t get any bonus for my knockout but they told me they were impressed. It was between me and Siver but his was the spectacular one. He deserved it. Maybe I will get it another time,” he laughed.

I know I can't wait to see him back in action!

Fear the reach!

In case you forgot!

Im rooting for him. But he has never fought a wrestler before. And certainly not one of Davis caliber

Apparently not a big enough impression for you to spell his last name correctly.

It's Gustafsson not Gustaffson.

TTT For the mauler

saerbarnet - Apparently not a big enough impression for you to spell his last name correctly.

Calm down dear. He himself actually spells it with a V so I guess we're both wrong ;)

lol...if Davis gets tired he might try to take him down?

Phil Davis would have to be asleep not just tired

davis is going to win this fight pretty easy imo

^^^ Quick question. Are you a killer OF BJJ or a killer USING BJJ?

Fight! UK Online - Calm down dear. He himself actually spells it with a V so I guess we're both wrong ;)
Dude, why don't you just correct it to Gustafsson instead of being cute? How hard can it be?

Interesting match up.

Diego stole my name - Im rooting for him. But he has never fought a wrestler before. And certainly not one of Davis caliber

I agree with this. Gustafsson's fights are always so similar. He overwhelms his opponent standing and gets the TKO on the ground. He has never had to deal with someone putting him on his back. Phil Davis is not the guy you want to fight if you are not comfortable working off your back.

i like Gustafsson..       he`s an exciting fighter from what ive seen!

Davis looks a good prospect aswell & will prob be the favourite but im rooting for Gustafsson

should be a good fight!!

Fight! UK Online - 
saerbarnet - Apparently not a big enough impression for you to spell his last name correctly.

Calm down dear. He himself actually spells it with a V so I guess we're both wrong ;)

http://themauler.com/

Is that why his OFFICIAL website has it Gustafsson? lol

Pain4Blood2 - 
Diego stole my name - Im rooting for him. But he has never fought a wrestler before. And certainly not one of Davis caliber

I agree with this. Gustafsson's fights are always so similar. He overwhelms his opponent standing and gets the TKO on the ground. He has never had to deal with someone putting him on his back. Phil Davis is not the guy you want to fight if you are not comfortable working off your back.

Alex has got at least 2 of the top wrestlers in Sweden as training partners so I hope he will get good use of their ground game to spar against.
The wrestlers are Eddy Bengtsson with a 7th place in WC at 120 kg as best result and Ilir Latifi who is a multiple champion in Sweden and lost on points against Xande Ribeiro in the last ADCC.

I don't remember his UFC fight very well.

But, IIRC, I think I was saying to myself: that guy needs to keep his hands up more, and tighter, or he's getting KOd.

"Alex has got at least 2 of the top wrestlers in Sweden as training partners so I hope he will get good use of their ground game to spar against.
The wrestlers are Eddy Bengtsson with a 7th place in WC at 120 kg as best result and Ilir Latifi who is a multiple champion in Sweden and lost on points against Xande Ribeiro in the last ADCC."

They are greco-roman wrestlers though. He will improve for sure but it wont prepare him for Davis explosive takedowns

Diego stole my name - "Alex has got at least 2 of the top wrestlers in Sweden as training partners so I hope he will get good use of their ground game to spar against.
The wrestlers are Eddy Bengtsson with a 7th place in WC at 120 kg as best result and Ilir Latifi who is a multiple champion in Sweden and lost on points against Xande Ribeiro in the last ADCC."

They are greco-roman wrestlers though. He will improve for sure but it wont prepare him for Davis explosive takedowns

agreed, but I doubt he will have time to get good enough to just stop Davis' takedowns either way, He should just work on getting up imo

Do you guys know if Bengtsson is fighting anytime soon?

I suspect he skipped the upcoming Zone FC card because of his KO loss a few months ago. Probably the best since swedish regulations are pretty strict

He really needs to drop a little weight. He used to be much trimmer back when he wrestled