Gustafsson Wants to ‘Take the Belt Home to Sweden’

http://www.studiomma.com/2012/08/20/exclusive-alexander-gustafsson-wants-to-take-the-belt-home-to-sweden/

STUDIO MMA, RIVERSIDE, CA – Top contender Alexander “The Mauler” Gustafsson battles former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the co-main event on December 8th at UFC on FOX 5. The location and venue will be announced in the following weeks. Studio MMA had the opportunity to interview the Swedish 205-pounder, who many believe will soon challenge Jon Jones.

“My heartbeat just hit max”, Gustafsson said when he got the call to face “Shogun” (StudioMMA.com). “It feels awesome, lots of thoughts and emotions.”

“Shogun” recently knocked out Gustafsson’s Alliance team-member, Brandon Vera, earlier this month at UFC on FOX 4.

“[Shogun] is one tough opponent, a very good striker. He is a walking legend. They offered me Shogun and I didn’t need time to think, I said ‘yes’ right away. Now I need time to train and work on my game-plan.”

Gustafsson was last seen in April at UFC on Fuel TV 2, putting a three-round beating on Thiago Silva en route to a unanimous decision victory. With the time off, Gustafsson has been recovering from minor bumps and bruises.

“I have spent a lot of time with my parents. I relocated and spent a short trip in US. I have spent time with my two Amercian Bulldogs: Sativa and Ghost. They are my babies.”

Although the bout is over three months away, Gustafsson is already prepping.

“I will be training in Sweden at Stockholm Shoot, and I am going to structure the training camp now. But I can train anywhere,” said Gustafsson. “I will fight anywhere, too, as long as I get to fight.”

Reigning UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is set to face number one contender Dan Henderson at UFC 151. Lyoto Machida was selected earlier this month as the next challenger for whoever takes home the belt on September 1st. Either Gustafsson or Shogun could very well be facing the winner between Machida and Jones/Henderson.

“It feels good, but honesty I don’t like talking about that. All my focus is now on Shogun. I always have the same mind set before a fight: to win every fight and take the belt home to Sweden.”

Is he planning on kidnapping Jon Jones or something?

Radio Raheem -  Is he planning on kidnapping Jon Jones or something?

Bahahahaha! This. Phone Post

he needs to beat a wrestler like Rashad to prove he can stay on his feet long enough to be a threat to jones IMO.

"I have spent time with my two Amercian Bulldogs: Sativa and Ghost."

sativa. mmmmm.

Jons Forsberg - "I have spent a lot of time with my parents. Relocated and spent a short trip in US. "

"I will be training in Sweden at Stockholm Shoot, going to structure the training camp now. I can train anywhere"

no, you cannot Gusta. Not if he is serious about winning the UFC belt anyway. He's got the raw talent but there's still a lot of polishing to do and just doing 8 week camps in America won't be enough.

While I would love to disagree on this, I can't. He has excellent striking coaches at Nexus/Stckhlm Shoot but wrestling and general MMA coaching in Sweden isn't on the level of the best camps in the US, at least not yet.

Thiaguy - Hmmm, how come they never offered him Rashad?

Probably because Rashad is rumored to drop down to 185.

Lol Phone Post

He will alternate between Stockholm and team alliance like always, seems to be working very well for him this far. Phone Post

Yea and i want to fuck rachael leigh cook but we cant all be winners can we

Thiaguy - Hmmm, how come they never offered him Rashad?

They probably think he has better chance against a striker rather than against a wrestler Phone Post

melancoholic - "I have spent time with my two Amercian Bulldogs: Sativa and Ghost."

sativa. mmmmm.

Not like Gus is swedish or anything

MMALOGIC -  he needs to beat a wrestler like Rashad to prove he can stay on his feet long enough to be a threat to jones IMO.

Lol!
I swear I end up agreeing with most of your posts!

Let me post 1st damn it :) Phone Post

I want to take Cris Cyborg to a hotel room and make her say things that even Ed Soares with Google translator couldn't figure out.

I guess it's ok to want something.

It's just when you believe it will happen that someone needs to keep a mindful eye that it doesn't go from your dream to a reality involving a barricade and shouting demands from a window.

Then again a WWE style angle where he takes the belt may be good for PPV. Phone Post

How dare he take that belt to a country that gives men a year off for paternity leave! Or have great health care and low crime rates! Or has cheap education...

Commie hippie!