Has any fighter ever had a better year

In 1996 Igor Vovchancyhn 

15 - 0

Won 5, 8-man tournaments

Finished all fights = 9 KOs / 4 TKOs / 2 subs

It's kind of hard to argue with Pro Ice.

MasterofMartialArts -
Pessimist_Pete - GSP's runs in 2011 and 2012. Awesome Phone Post 3.0
I agree but I wouldn't really consider it a "run" since he fought only once each year. His run as champ has been incredible though. Phone Post 3.0
His epic decision win over Shields in 2011 and his awesome decision over Condit will go down as the best two-decisions-in-two-fights-over-two-years in history. Phone Post 3.0

Pessimist_Pete - 
MasterofMartialArts -
I agree but I wouldn't really consider it a "run" since he fought only once each year. His run as champ has been incredible though. Phone Post 3.0
His epic decision win over Shields in 2011 and his awesome decision over Condit will go down as the best two-decisions-in-two-fights-over-two-years in history. Phone Post 3.0

vu for making me chuckle

When u are one of the best, haters will swarm.
Apparently Anderson and Jones are overrated because now their division is weak due to them dismantling it.

Haters are gonna wait for that day that they lose, and use that to say "i told u all he was overrated!!"

Ironically it has happened to fedor Phone Post

FedorFalconPunch - Shogun coming off Knee surgery..barely impressive
Rampage coming off Knee surgery and mentally not there..not impressive
Machida just being knocked out cold by Shogun..barely impressive
Ryan Bader...get submitted by Tito Ortiz..and has no chin.

To be honest..the more you look at it..Its not impressive in any way, LOL his resume is crap

add on Belfort and sonnen wins...Belfort is his best win.

Sad
I want to say one thing.

YOUR A FUCKING IDIOT!! Phone Post 3.0

FedorFalconPunch - Jon Jones will get avoiding Daniel Cormier as long as possible, like I said 2 years ago.

He stands no chance vs DC. DC either decisions him or knocks him out on the ground.

I don't see Jones winning 1 outta 10 fights.

His lanky legs wont be able to stop stocky DC and DC runs his shit every minute of every fight most likely.

Olympic Wrestler > HighSchool Wrestler

plus DC Has knockout power, Jones cant knock nothing out
I'm not a Jon Jones fan AT ALL I appreciate what he brings to the table and that's pretty much it for me.

But I don't really see how anyone can think (know) without a doubt that he wouldn't win 1/10 fights. Honestly could see it as a 6/10 for either fighter. I honestly think that even though Jon hasn't truly had the really hard match ups the UFC tries to make it look like, he has the ABILITY to beat anyone he fights. Not saying he will but I am saying he COULD haha.

I understand where you're coming from but that's just my opinion! Phone Post 3.0

Pessimist_Pete -
MasterofMartialArts -
Just realized you're trolling, carry on. Phone Post 3.0

Trollgrude11 -

To be honest..the more you look at it..Its not impressive in any way, LOL his resume is crap

Sad
Bader was undefeated at the time and the odds were only slightly in jones favor. Shogun was the favorite in their fight regardless of a surgery he was still the champion for a reason. Rampage didn't give up until after he lost to jones. That was the most serious UFC rampage I'd seen in a long time. Machida was a hell of a fight that he was winning until the second. Jones finished all of them. That was the most impressive run of 2011 by far. Phone Post 3.0
Don't feed the troll Phone Post 3.0

I love Shogun but and I do think that his run was more impressive than Jones but its very close.

To say Jones hasn't come back from adversity is wrong too cos Vitor had that arm-bar on tight but he fought through it and finished him later on.

I don't think anyone has had a better year than Shogun or Jones but I think Johnny Hendicks should get an honorable mention.

He KO'd Fitch in a few seconds who had never been stopped before then. KO'd Kampman in the 1st and then beat Kos and Condit too. Phone Post 3.0

Before Jones' run in 2011, LHW was seen as the toughest and most competitive division - the belt had been a hot potato for years. After Jones' run, LHW was and had been, viewed completely differently - that speaks volumes. Phone Post 3.0

TightTriangle - Before Jones' run in 2011, LHW was seen as the toughest and most competitive division - the belt had been a hot potato for years. After Jones' run, LHW was and had been, viewed completely differently - that speaks volumes. Phone Post 3.0

PRECISELY this. That is exactly what I mean about paradigm-shifting... Jones changed the way we view an ENTIRE DIVISION.

No division was as volatile as the LHW division, and holding the LHW belt probably meant more in the UFC than the HW title (I certainly felt this way during and after the reign of Chuck Liddell, but the UFC HW division has certainly improved tremendously)

But now, it's just a lame "wasteland" division somewhere between Anderson and the Heavyweights where all the tomato cans and geriatrics live.

Sad
You're joking? Phone Post 3.0

FedorFalconPunch - Jon Jones will get avoiding Daniel Cormier as long as possible, like I said 2 years ago.

He stands no chance vs DC. DC either decisions him or knocks him out on the ground.

His lanky legs wont be able to stop stocky DC and DC runs his shit every minute of every fight most likely.

Jon Jones is the best wrestler in MMA. I can't wait till he fights DC. People don't get it - Standard wrestling v MMA wrestling is chalk n cheese. Especially when you throw in game changing elbows.
DC will feel like he got raped by a pack full of Rottweilers in Acid. Phone Post 3.0

I meant to say on acid not in acid. Well they both work but in acid is probably taking it to far. Phone Post 3.0

JDS in a year beat
Cain
Mir
Carwin

GSP 05-06 went through a killer list of guy's.

fasthandssam -
FedorFalconPunch - Jon Jones will get avoiding Daniel Cormier as long as possible, like I said 2 years ago.

Where is this even coming from? I'm asking about how impressive Jones' 2011 run was compared to other greats. WTF does that have to do with DC?

And, based on your other post, even if Jones moved up and dominated then finished DC, you would just shake it off. "Meh. DC coming off of embarrassing win against gassed-out Frank Mir. Not impressive."

This, he dominated everyone in front of him, only shoguns middleweight tourny run is compairable. Set both guys up as the 205 king at the time. Phone Post

imteamme - Shogun's 2005 GP run is the greatest run in combat sports history IMO

-Shogun destroyed a PRIME Rampage

Keep in mind how Jones in his run was less impressive against a vastly over the hill Rampage

Shogun BEAT a PRIME Rampage like no one ever has and ever will

-Shogun then went to WAR with and beat a PRIME Nogueria in an all time classic fight.

Shogun over came some major adversity to win. It was special. With that 1 fight, Shogun showed that he had the heart of a true champ. Shogun's ability to dig deep and just win was special.

Then ALL IN ONE night, Shogun went on to:

-Destroy Overeem when Overeem was still highly regarded as a LHW

-And destroy a PRIME Arona when Arona was considered the #1 LHW on the planet

What Shogun accomplished at just 23 was unfathomable

If you didnt witness it live, you will not be able to fully understand

p.s

Shogun is one of the greatest pure talents to ever compete in MMA. Its a shame he has had to deal with so many injuries...Yet despite injuries Shogun has still managed to have success...which is a testament to just how truly and immensly talented Shogun is and the unbreakable will that he has to win

WAR Shogun for life. The dude is an all time talent, icon, warrior, and legend!

There will NEVER be another warrior quite like the one they call Shogun!!!!!

I agree with your post (mostly), Pro Ice's mention of Igor, and Royce in 1994.  Again, it's hard to compare the era's, so maybe you gotta throw Royce out.

One thing you posted that I don't completely agree with is that I don't ever recall Arona being considered the best LWH (MW in PRIDE) on the planet.  In 2005, during the year of Shogun, everyone was still saying Wand was the best on the planet (even though he did lose a boring lnp decision to Ricardo).  I also remember people still talking about Chuck, even though he had lost to Randy and Quinton 2 years prior...I remember Ricardo Arona being talked about as consensus top 5 or even top 3, but not #1.  Maybe by his fans, but not consensus.

Anyway, I don't think it changes your point at all...I just wanted to add that to the discussion.

Pitbull3744 - 
TightTriangle - Before Jones' run in 2011, LHW was seen as the toughest and most competitive division - the belt had been a hot potato for years. After Jones' run, LHW was and had been, viewed completely differently - that speaks volumes. Phone Post 3.0
It would but the LHW division didn't get new fighters like someone said its where all the name fighters are that are way over the hill already. LHW wasn't changed by jones it was changed by lack of talent and upcoming stars. Now u have jones real tests I think. Gus, Glover well that's it but that's 2!! Lol. Phone Post 3.0

But that's the point- they weren't considered "way over the hill" until Jones beat them (with the exception of Shogun, who has been out of his prime since he entered the UFC)

As I said, any fighter you suggest that Jones fights- once he beats em, you can easily discredit them as threats.

Daniel Cormier? Nah, he just scraped by a decision against a gassed-out Frank Mir. Clearly not impressive!

Anderson Silva? Fought out of his weight class and almost got beat by Chael. Clearly not impressive!

Gustaffson? Who?

Glover Texiera? Never fought a top guy. Not impressive.

Cain Velasquez? Almost got knocked out by Check Kongo, and was given two gift fights against Bigfoot to pad his record. Plus by the time he fought Jones, he had magically passed his prime. Not impressive.

See what I mean? You can (and will) do this all day with Jones. It's sort of like what BJ Penn fans do, but the opposite. Instead of making up excuses for why a fighter loses, you have to come up with excuses for why he won.