Has any fighter ever had a better year

Pitbull3744 - Not true we were all saying Page, Shogun, Evans Etc were winding down. Shogun has two horrible knees and beat machida and again went into surgery before jones. Evans had a good performance against Tito and a bad one against Davis. Belfort is a MW who shouldn't have even gotten the fight and wasn't trtd up. Bader well we have seen what happened to Bader. Phone Post 3.0

Bader was undefeated, fighters react to losses differently.
Rampage has always been one demensional so prime or not, jones is just far too rounded for him.
Evans realized jones was gonna finish him so he used his skill to.survive the fight rather than try to win.
Shogun has one of the biggest hearts of any fighter out there, prime or not, and jones unofficially tapped him with strikes.
His run was extremely impressive, but people will discredit him because his opponents career after him have started to decline. Phone Post

Looks like Thiaguy is back...

Bader is "overrated" cuz he lost, just as jones woulda be in some peoples eyes if he woulda lost
Page didnt lose cuz he was over the hill, hes "over the hill" cuz he lost.
U lol at the Evans comment, but th ats exactly what i meant, he used his speed and agility to survive the fight for a loss insteaf of trying to win. He rather not try to win they get finished trying to comeback.
Prime machida beat by shogun?, thats ur opinion my friend, and jones sub on machida is by far mkre impressive than shoguns ko......of course imo, but u see how that works?
I was nkt dissin shogun for talping, just showing that his heart was broken by jones and no.one else, thats talking jones up......regardless whether it was one tap or many, we all saw it.

Relax a little, ease up on the jones hate......less stress and u will live longer :-) Phone Post

Sorry for the fob typos lol Phone Post

I've posted this before. Although Shogun was coming off knee surgery-he had just come off 2 fights where he was the best he had ever looked. People were talking about Shogun finally putting it all together and how he would destroy Jones. Shogun looked incredible against Machida twice, and even though it was only two fights, I considered that Shogun at his absolute best. Look at him since the loss to Jones. Loss to Hendo (in a war), win over Forrest, win over Vera. In the fights against Hendo and Vera, his striking looked very sloppy and his endurance was horrible. Jones beat a PRIME Shogun, the best one we will ever see. He also beat a Rampage who spent lots of money on new trainers and a new camp-all because he was so highly motivated to beat Jones. And I believe he was actually in the best possible shape for that fight (the hardest he had trained for a while) and he looked great. Jones dominated him. Machida wasn't over the hill either, he lost a close fight to Rampage and KOd Randy. How can he be over the hill when his only loss (before Rampage) was to a killer Shogun???? He only had less than 20 MMA fights and before Shogun came along he was consdered unbeatable. GTFO. None of these guys were considered "over the hill" until Jones beat them. People use that argument when it's convenient for them. Jones is just that good. Phone Post 3.0

IMO Shogun had the more epic run. Not taking anything away from Jones run that was a great one too but if you watched Shogun fight that year live it was crazy impressive.
GSP wins for career run as of now IMO. Regardless if you like how he does it or not it's still the best. Phone Post 3.0

Legit LOL @ thiaguy saying "Holy wall of text up above." I see what you did there. Phone Post

imteamme -
DirtyLickinsBrah -  Bader is "overrated" cuz he lost, just as jones woulda be in some peoples eyes if he woulda lost
Page didnt lose cuz he was over the hill, hes "over the hill" cuz he lost.
U lol at the Evans comment, but th ats exactly what i meant, he used his speed and agility to survive the fight for a loss insteaf of trying to win. He rather not try to win they get finished trying to comeback.
Prime machida beat by shogun?, thats ur opinion my friend, and jones sub on machida is by far mkre impressive than shoguns ko......of course imo, but u see how that works?
I was nkt dissin shogun for talping, just showing that his heart was broken by jones and no.one else, thats talking jones up......regardless whether it was one tap or many, we all saw it.

Relax a little, ease up on the jones hate......less stress and u will live longer :-) Phone Post

Bader had an unimpressive win over Nog. Many feel Nog won that fight

Bader was even being called over rated heading into that fight with Jones.... In fact BY Jones/zuffa fans who were saying Jones will win because Bader is over rated

BUT now all the sudden its a big win for Jones?

That Bader win during Jones run still doesnt compare to Shogun's win over Overeem during his run or to any other win Shogun had during his run for that matter etc

Oh and also

Jones fans/zuffa shills were saying Jones will beat Shogun because Shogun is a shell of his former self and is coming off surgery

So Shogun's injury could only be used in that way to suite Jones back then

BUT NOT the other way around in todays time????

LOL Jones/zuffa fans will say what ever it is to suite them and what ever it is that can prop Jones up even more in their eyes while they stroke each others e peens to how great Jones is

Also,

Rashad SIMPLY refused to engage. THERE IS NO SKILL in refusing to engage. Stop saying that please

Everything else i said stands

I see, so jones fans = zuffa shills.
Props to u, didnt realize u were eating my troll food.
Now im all out!! Phone Post

Pro Ice -

In 1996 Igor Vovchancyhn 

15 - 0

Won 5, 8-man tournaments

Finished all fights = 9 KOs / 4 TKOs / 2 subs

This man knows what the fuck is going on! Phone Post 3.0

FedorFalconPunch - Shogun coming off Knee surgery..barely impressive
Rampage coming off Knee surgery and mentally not there..not impressive
Machida just being knocked out cold by Shogun..barely impressive
Ryan Bader...get submitted by Tito Ortiz..and has no chin.

To be honest..the more you look at it..Its not impressive in any way, LOL his resume is crap

add on Belfort and sonnen wins...Belfort is his best win.

Sad
Your excuses....not impressive. Phone Post 3.0

So for sure to answer the OP's question:

Shogun's 2005

Igor's 1996

And I still say Royce in 1994 is as impressive of a single calendar year.

If I had to Rank them, I would probably Rank them this way:  

Shogun's '05

Igor's '96 a very close 2nd

Royce's '94

Jones' 2011

But also what about Fedor?  You can pick just about any year between 2001-2007 where he went 24-0 with 1 NC over that entire span.  Quite a few 5-0 "years" -- but many will question the opponents.  Sure there were some super tough ones like Nog and Prime Mirko, and even Semmy -- but there were many other lower tier opponents.

Also Wand from 2000-2004 (pick a year).  total span was like 15-1-1 with a NC

Fedor had a great 2004 and Gomi had a great 2005. We can't forget that Sakuraba had ridiculous run's in '99 & '00 also.

What Shogun and Jones did , as well as Royce, are definitely the top 3. I think I'd have to put Shogun at the top, but the run Jones went on was so dominant that it makes it hard to argue.

I forgot all about Gomi.  Voted up, ThinkMMA

Mykal McDerp -
FedorFalconPunch - Jon Jones will get avoiding Daniel Cormier as long as possible, like I said 2 years ago.

He stands no chance vs DC. DC either decisions him or knocks him out on the ground.

I don't see Jones winning 1 outta 10 fights.

His lanky legs wont be able to stop stocky DC and DC runs his shit every minute of every fight most likely.

Olympic Wrestler > HighSchool Wrestler

plus DC Has knockout power, Jones cant knock nothing out
Did jones fuck you wife bro? Phone Post 3.0
That just made me lol. VU Phone Post 3.0

Shogun - 2005
Jones - 2011
Royce - 1994