Has Overeems striking regressed?

BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

Striking changes as you get older.  You aren't as explosive. You have to focus on being crafty.  

You dont have to be explosive to throw low kicks and combos

But you have to have a certain degree of stamina and agility.  He was also facing a great counter puncher with ko power.  

A low kick is one of the least risky strikes to throw. Next to the teep I would say it is the least risky when you are the superior grappler. 

It's not as risky when you're the better grappler, but it takes more energy to throw kicks. Punches are more economical and if you stay tight it's much easier to be defensive and safe there. Probably why he uses his high guard so much. 

BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

Striking changes as you get older.  You aren't as explosive. You have to focus on being crafty.  

But you have to have a certain degree of stamina and agility.  He was also facing a great counter puncher with ko power.  

A low kick is one of the least risky strikes to throw. Next to the teep I would say it is the least risky when you are the superior grappler. 

I really disagree. The least risky strike  is the jab.  Low kicks can make most fighters sitting ducks for a straight counter. Obviously Bigi Boy is a competent kick boxer so checks are a risk as well. Struve is a good kickboxer and his fight was ended after a good check (and Rothwell kicking his dick off). 

Jones right nostril -

Goodness. How the heck do you fill in that space and create a new lip?

Why wouldn't he just get out when he had a chance and juice back to the eye sockets and fight somewhere else? It's way too late now, but wtf?

BruteDion -
Eskimo -

Just more economical and defensive imo. Getting old and chin is questionable. Very smart and making the most of what he has left.

Yeah that makes sense but what about the low kicks? It's like he forgot about them. He goes for TDs and is the better grappler of the 2. A low kick is not a risky strike to take.

A low kick can be really risky. If you are slow or don't set it up, you are going to get countered every time.

BathtubwiththeBoiz -
BruteDion -
Eskimo -

Just more economical and defensive imo. Getting old and chin is questionable. Very smart and making the most of what he has left.

Yeah that makes sense but what about the low kicks? It's like he forgot about them. He goes for TDs and is the better grappler of the 2. A low kick is not a risky strike to take.

A low kick can be really risky. If you are slow or don't set it up, you are going to get countered every time.

Same for every strike. I never said its perfect.

buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

I really disagree. The least risky strike  is the jab.  Low kicks can make most fighters sitting ducks for a straight counter. Obviously Bigi Boy is a competent kick boxer so checks are a risk as well. Struve is a good kickboxer and his fight was ended after a good check (and Rothwell kicking his dick off). 

There is no debate that a teep is not more risky then a jab. It's the longest strike a person can throw and has the most push back force and you dont need to drop your guard at all. Add a lean back and your head is unreachable unless you are fighting a giant and you are short. 

BruteDion -
BathtubwiththeBoiz -
BruteDion -
Eskimo -

Same for every strike. I never said its perfect.

You said it is 'not risky'. It is risky, and I told you how. Relativizing all strikes as equally risky actually undermines your original point while not being true. In this particular case throwing low kicks at a faster counter puncher would be a ridiculously dumb thing to do.

BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

There is no debate that a teep is not more risky then a jab. It's the longest strike a person can throw and has the most push back force and you dont need to drop your guard at all. Add a lean back and your head is unreachable unless you are fighting a giant and you are short. 

Haha, what? A teep is risky as hell in a MMA match. You are almost begging to be taken down.

1 Like

It absolutely has. He was always an attribute guy, but he had a very diverese striking arsenal. Age, fewer available PED under USADA, financial security, stamina issues, numerous KO losses, mileage, and I'm pretty sure he's had an undisclosed injury for years by the way he moves. 

He can't train like a top striker anymore and has lost it. Same happened with Cro Cop. 

BathtubwiththeBoiz -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

Haha, what? A teep is risky as hell in a MMA match. You are almost begging to be taken down.

You clearly missed the context of this debate for reem.

Fedor should take note of what AO is doing with a body that was getting destroyed at LHW. AO for what he's been through he's regressed intelligently to the best his body can do for him.

BruteDion -
BathtubwiththeBoiz -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

...who was in an mma match 

Even though he obviously has the kickboxing background he's had a LOT of clinch and GnP even in the pre-ubereem pride days. Now I think because he knows his chin is shot and because he's older/less athletic he's focused way more on just not getting KO'd and letting the striking lead to the clinch and GnP. That seemed to be the gameplan last night and to be fair it was working well till the last 10 seconds of the fight. 

hes slower and takes less risks now

knows his chin is gone, does as much as he can do to not get hit

throwing combos it a higher chance of getting hit

buddie -
BruteDion -
BathtubwiththeBoiz -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

...who was in an mma match 

Jesus this thread is about Overeem. I'm talking about when a fighter also has the grappling advantage. Read the thread.

I always thought he was only 1/2 as good without juice. 

Eskimo -

lol questionable 

anything that remotely lands on him puts him out

i cannot figure out why overeem still fights, whats the point of running around not engaging, throwing a pot shot, and if an opponent hits you you are automatically dead

kyleburkle -
Eskimo -

lol questionable 

anything that remotely lands on him puts him out

i cannot figure out why overeem still fights, whats the point of running around not engaging, throwing a pot shot, and if an opponent hits you you are automatically dead

because he still has a big contract. He gets almost a million for that fight. Can't turn that down at this point. He'll do a few more fights and retire. 

Bobby Lupo -

It absolutely has. He was always an attribute guy, but he had a very diverese striking arsenal. Age, fewer available PED under USADA, financial security, stamina issues, numerous KO losses, mileage, and I'm pretty sure he's had an undisclosed injury for years by the way he moves. 

He can't train like a top striker anymore and has lost it. Same happened with Cro Cop. 

This times infinity and beyond