Has Overeems striking regressed?

Hes a far better striker then I or any of us ever will be here but I just dont see Overeems striking as it used to be.

Now it just seems to be him covering up, backing up, throws a mid kick, jabs to the mid section while ducking and looking to come over the top. Those 3 things over and over.

Been that way for a few fights now.

Where is low kicks? Where are the combos? Where are his clinches with Uberknees? 

It's almost like a wrestler who learned to strike.

1 Like

Less aggressive due to being hurt on his feet so much is my guess. Not confident in his ability to take a punch standing.

Yeah it looks horrible compared to how he used to be back in the day. Like he just learned to strike.

I think he is extra conservative now after some setbacks . The stomp to the leg is not getting checked , worst case scenario you are out of position . He basically throws single strikes now standing. I feel like I first remember him fighting like this versus JDS , can anyone think of an earlier fight than that in which he played it this safe ? 

To your point , you are probably right, he doesn't use as many of his tools and AO was always fairly well rounded IMO .

Just more economical and defensive imo. Getting old and chin is questionable. Very smart and making the most of what he has left.

Well that didnt work out.

1 Like
Eskimo -

Just more economical and defensive imo. Getting old and chin is questionable. Very smart and making the most of what he has left.

Yeah that makes sense but what about the low kicks? It's like he forgot about them. He goes for TDs and is the better grappler of the 2. A low kick is not a risky strike to take.

Overseen hasn't looked the same striking since he went off the juice and got KOed a few times.

2 Likes

Striking changes as you get older.  You aren't as explosive. You have to focus on being crafty.  

BruteDion -
Eskimo -

Yeah that makes sense but what about the low kicks? It's like he forgot about them. He goes for TDs and is the better grappler of the 2. A low kick is not a risky strike to take.

I agree and I think he could've kicked the body a lot more as well.

However, it's a dumb strategy if you don't have the cardio to go a full 5 lol. 

buddie -

Striking changes as you get older.  You aren't as explosive. You have to focus on being crafty.  

You dont have to be explosive to throw low kicks and combos

1 Like

Jones right nostril -

Did not realize it was that bad watching it on TV, Jesus Christ.

Jones right nostril -

Man, that really sucks for him.

Usada bro

Seems his output hasn't been the same since he switched to mainly fighting southpaw. 

BruteDion -
buddie -

But you have to have a certain degree of stamina and agility.  He was also facing a great counter puncher with ko power.  

gentle_wookiee -

Less aggressive due to being hurt on his feet so much is my guess. Not confident in his ability to take a punch standing.

Exactly this. He's a shell of what he once was since the knockout loss to Rothwell imo. That was his third loss in a row by KO after coming back from suspension for pissing hot for the Brock fight.  He fights so timid now. No confidence. 

He looks scared doing anything. He looked scared whenever he throw a punch. Had he ever fully committed to one he probably could've knocked Rozenstuik out. He look scared everytime he went for a takedown. There's no reason why he shouldn't have been able to manhandle a low level kickboxing like Rozenstuik.

he's ancient in fighting years that is all, too many wars

buddie -
BruteDion -
buddie -

But you have to have a certain degree of stamina and agility.  He was also facing a great counter puncher with ko power.  

A low kick is one of the least risky strikes to throw. Next to the teep I would say it is the least risky when you are the superior grappler.