Has Rigan lost all your respect yet? How about ...

Maybe the sport isn't for them if a scratch can affect their career 

For me, I actually have a big interest in his system- only because I have two 11 year old kids that have a medical condition that give them loose/painful joints and skin that bruises and cuts very easily.

BJJ is actually one of the worst things they can do for their bodies, but because I own my own school and they are around BJJ so much, they are super interested in training.

I've had them take a weekly childrens class for the past 8 months or so, but unfortanately it's only a matter of time when I have to take them out of regular kid's classes and have them only do group privates with me- as I no longer can trust the other kids to go easy with them.

It's only a matter of time before they get kneed, or get a joint popped and have to go to the ER :(

rnaviaux - Funny.

Rigan came to Utah to do a seminar a while back and talked about this topic of teaching celebs. Mentioned that when filming that even a bruise on the face is a huge deal. Lot of money is getting invested upfront into making a movie and injuries can cost delays, etc. Seems like a tricky issue to deal with.

As long as a student knows how to tie his belt correctly and does so for pics then I don't really care what his skills are on the mat.

That's asking a lot. I've seen purple belts with their belts tied wrong. LOL.

checkuroil -

Or maybe we can just train and let train? I don't see the harm.

You guys love, "JITS" too much.

BJJ was founded by upper class Brazilians. Once they got going they focused much of their efforts on training other upper class Brazilians, so they could make as much money as possible.

Before Carlson Gracie, BJJ was a martial art that was tailored to appeal to and fit the needs of a wealthy student body and money was made as a result.

I don't see the big deal with what Rigan is doing. He isn't passing out blackbelts and hasn't done anything that the founders of BJJ would disapprove of.

Pretty sure Rigan doesn't really care what you/we think. Like a lot of things in life, we should worry more about what we're doing and less about other people's business.

I'm all for it. 

I'm glad he gave this training its own name, too - because imagine the uproar if he were teaching a non-sparring version of BJJ and then just calling it BJJ?  The internet police would lose their minds.

I'll go one further:  i wouldn't mind a BJJ based cardio program called Tae BJJ.  It's serving a different purpose, it has its own name...I say go for it. 

Wings&Things - Pretty sure Rigan doesn't really care what you/we think. Like a lot of things in life, we should worry more about what we're doing and less about other people's business.

^^^This.

liuk3 -
Wings&Things - Pretty sure Rigan doesn't really care what you/we think. Like a lot of things in life, we should worry more about what we're doing and less about other people's business.

^^^This.

Agreed

So what exactly is flow jiu jitsu?

Caladan -
checkuroil -

Or maybe we can just train and let train? I don't see the harm.

My thoughts exactly. 

Don't care

Yeah so there's lots of jealous folks here. If these celebs came in your gym you'd be doing the same. 

He separates it from his regular bjj curriculum, its Flow jiu jistu, not bjj. There is a market for it and Rigan took advantage of it.
If rich people want to pay to do bjj moves in a protected environment, I don't see anything wrong with providing that service. As long as they are not going around claiming to be purple belts in actual bjj if all they do is flow.
Rolling is fun, but injuries are very common in regular bjj classes. There are some folks that want to train with minimal chance of injury. Many people cant take the chance of getting hurt and not being able to work. Why sacrifice a 6 or even 7 figure job for a hobby? Some actors etc have to sign contracts that prohibit them from doing things that might get them injured.
These folks happen to have the money to pay to train in a protected environment, and Rigan is providing that. I don't see anything wrong with it.

baby-silverback - 
liuk3 -

^^^This.

Agreed

Also, I train under one of his brothers. When Rigan visits, he makes us work. His BJJ and Celeb JJ are two different things.

But I get the hate. We devote all this time and energy into one thing and get upset when someone else seemingly cheapens it. But to go along with my first post on this thread, complaining is like verbal masturbation. It feels good when you're doing it, but it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Easily one of the stupidest posts of the year. All sports have this, especially for people who injury is a big risk. There are recreational soccer leagues for older people with unlimited switching, no slide tackles, and the play is casual. No one ever says "oh, these guys don't train like Real Madrid, this is insulting to all my hard work".
I have seen kids' Judo classes that are mostly "games", I have seen older guy Judo classes where it is mostly entries/uchi-komis, light throwing and a bit of ground work, and a tiny amount of sparring.
I have seen wrestling practices with older guys coming out, perhaps with their kids, and their lessons are mostly technical instruction, some light entries, and some light sparring just for fun.
MY friend plays in a pickup hockey league where it's mostly older out of shape guys who just want a bit of exercise.
I have seen legit boxing instruction which is 90% drilling and 10% sparring, especially for non-competitors.
My point is that different groups have different priorities and different needs, and Rigan is just packaging one niche and selling to it.
There is nothing different about BJJ that it is this magical thing where only "hard" injurious training is the standard. Maybe if you are 20.
I have known MANY BJJers over the years who have had to drop out because they don't want to hurt their hands, or they need their knees for a career, etc. Older guys are becoming a minority because they realize the mobility is more important than proving anything.
The reasons to give a purple belt to a 20 year old competitor are different than giving one to someone who can't afford the rigors of weekly normal" training, or someone older.

As long as they aren't getting promoted from white belt I think it is totally fine.

checkuroil - 

Lol fucking this.

If you will lose millions of dollars of career earnings by getting bashed up then stay the fuck away from ANY combat sport

FrancisDingo'dMyHonesty -

So what exactly is flow jiu jitsu?

Sounds like he runs you through drills and calls it a new thing.