Haven't prepared for...

... our local competition on Submission Grappling coming up next week.
I haven't even been training that often this last month.
But still, I think I should participate just for the experience. Any opinions?

If you want to do it for the experience, then go for it. Compeitition should be a learning experience, and you're game usually improves after competing.

I would definitly do it.

do it, hell I am for a local comp tomorrow! Have been working with people on their own games this last month plus, barely training or working out on my own, so wish me luck!

go for it and good luck. If you lose, just tell urself you didn't really train for it and it doesn't really count. lol

Yeah go for it!

according to stephan kesting, sometimes people who are "chronically fit" do better in a tournament that they spontaneously sign up for than when they train really hard for one.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Actually, in our last competition (which was my first in BJJ) I did lose. I lost twice.
However, back then, I was very excited about it, I tried to train more often, to watch instructionals (I hate it, unless there is someone with me to practice on), and I competed against men, as there was no women's division, which was quite a challenge!

This time, I heard there is another girl from another school that wishes to compete and therefore she and I are now supposed to be competition's women's division!
Don't take me wrong. This other girl might be a great fighter. I don't know her. She might even beat me. But just the two of us? I somehow lost interest.

Hunter V, how did it go?

I think I lost my first 7 matches or something like that. Just keep trying until you can score a win, then it will be a lot easier. Besides, losses outside your own division never count :P

Actually your game doesn't improve just from competing. It improves from you PREPARATION for competition. If you go into competition not adequately prepared you'll suffer from it. Your experience will not be what it could be.

Stephan Kesting's point about being "chronically fit" leading to doing well in tournaments is true, in my opinion. BUT the key words are "chronically fit". This means never really being out of shape. Generally speaking "chronically fit" means being at a fitness level of 7 or 8 out of 10. I would rather go into a tournament at that level then go in lower than that. What is really bad is those who decide compete and give themselves extremely short notice. They are out of shape and expect to raise their fitness level from almost zero to 10 in a short amount of time. There is no way. What will happen is they'll come into the competition at 5, 6 at best, which is well lower than what their fitness level should be for competition. They'll end up losing not because they didn't have the technique or ability but because they didn't have the endurance.

Trust me I've been there.

m.g,

It's not that I expect my game to improve just from competing.
The way I see it, participating in competitions can offer some other benefits: familiarization with competition's conditions and, most importantly, getting used to regulating all the excessive adrenaline that fills the body just as you hear your name -that could either wise burn you out right from the start.

Fotia,

Of course participating in competitions offer many benefits BUT you won't get as much as you could in regards to those other benefits IF you are not properly prepared for the competition.

Too many people enter tournaments waaaaaaaaaaaay under-prepared.

Let me tell you something I have competed in other combat sports and I've competed in other sports. I also have, of course, competed in Bjj. All competitions are the same in regards to the adrenaline rush, the anxiety and uncertainity of performance, the anxiety and uncertainity of the opponent, the anxiety and uncertainity of the environment and conditions. It is all the same regardless of the sport.

If you competed in one competition you've competed in them all.

I think one owes it to themselves to enter a competition in the best shape possible. I think they also owe it to themselves and to the other competitors to give their best effort. And one can't be in their best shape or give their best effort if they aren't properly and adequately prepared.

Too many people enter competition just for the experience and just for "familiarization" with competition conditions. But that gets old after the first tournament.

If a competitor goes into a competition prepared then they'll get alot out of a tournament even if they lose. But if a competitor goes in not fully prepared then they won't get as much out of the competition as they expected. AND if they lost because of lack of stamina or because they couldn't put in as much as knew they could because they weren't as prepared like they should have been then they will be MAD at themselves. And that's all you'll think about...if only I was more prepare I would have done better etc.

Like I said: I've been there!

m.g.

wise words

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You win some, lose some, it's still the same to me
The pleasure is to play, it makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
The Ace Of Spades
The Ace Of Spades

Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all a game to me,
Seven or Eleven, snake eyes watching you,
Double up or quit, double stake or split, it's
The Ace Of Spades
The Ace Of Spades

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live for ever,
And don't forget the joker!

Pushing up the ante, I know you've got to see me,
Read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again,
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die,
The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be,
The Ace Of Spades
The Ace Of Spades

In other words. I dont mind losses and dont buy into the whole "being a champ"-thing.

actually Fotia, I won gold in the gi division so I guess it didn't go too bad, lol! Next up is NAGA possibly, it'll be my first time. Hope you do well in yours!

m.g,

I appreciate the input. I agree that ideally we should be "chronically fit", but saying that one should only compete in their best shape sounds unfair?

It is true that I am way under prepared. However, that is not because of laziness or indifference and definitely not overconfidence. I am not prepared due to other obligations in my life that have to have priority, at the moment. I have accepted that I can't train as much or as hard as I would like to and that I will have to do with the little I have.
In my viewpoint, not competing because I didn't have the chance to prepare properly, sounds more like punishment.

Hunter V,

Congratulations! And thanks for your wishes!

This is a Highlights Video of our Submission Grappling Competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkhyJNGvhE4&mode=user&search=

I was happy with the experience I gained from this Competition and I won my fight :-)

Fotia,

I said best shape "possible" not the best shape ever. I also meant that in relative terms. One can't be the best shape, absolutely, for every tournament or competition. BUT one can be in the best shape possible for whatever particular tournament they are entering in.

So let's say there is an up coming tournament and it is a month or so away. You have many obligations and you can't train like you want or should for the tournament. But you CAN do prepare well enough that you actually give yourself a chance. In such a situation you are preparing yourself the best "possible" for that situation.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than going into a tournament or competition with little or no preparation.

Tournaments or competition just don't spring up over night. Generally a tournament/competition is put together MONTHS before it actually takes place. This means you can plan and prepare for each tournament months before you actually compete in it. And even if you preparation isn't the absolute best it certainly will be the best for the tournament you've trained for considering the circumstances.

I don't think it is wise to just enter a tournament/competition just because there is a tournament/competition to compete in.

I've learn there will ALWAYS be tournaments. Heck, where I live there is a tournament like few months. There is a tournament at the end of may and there is another tournament at the beginning of June.

You don't have to enter this tournament. I am sure there will be another tournament you can do.

"I don't think it is wise to just enter a tournament/competition just because there is a tournament/competition to compete in.

I've learn there will ALWAYS be tournaments. Heck, where I live there is a tournament like few months. There is a tournament at the end of may and there is another tournament at the beginning of June."

m.g...

1) The tournament was in greece, where it's lucky if one happens more than once a year.

2) I think unless you're totally out of shape or are recovering from surgery, participating in a tournament provides a great deal to learn from. It's not just about the competition in and of itself - but dealing with the psychological stress of the competitive environment.

A really good observation was made by Carlos Valente about competitions - it's a controlled environment where you can confront similar pressures to real self-defence situations. The adrenalin dump, the uncertainty, the lack of knowledge about your opponent etc etc. One thing about competing frequently is that you become more accustomed to these pressures and you begin to handle them more effectively - and most importantly more calmly.

And this really is the MOST effective way of dealing with these pressures - that is, exposure. You can speak to a sports psychologist all you want and train non-stop etc but you wont be more prepared for a tournament than someone who's been there before.

3) She did go to the tournament (as mentioned above) and won her first (and only) match. She had a great time participating and supporting her team.

"I don't think it is wise to just enter a tournament/competition just because there is a tournament/competition to compete in.

I've learn there will ALWAYS be tournaments. Heck, where I live there is a tournament like few months. There is a tournament at the end of may and there is another tournament at the beginning of June."

m.g...

1) The tournament was in greece, where it's lucky if one happens more than once a year.

2) I think unless you're totally out of shape or are recovering from surgery, participating in a tournament provides a great deal to learn from. It's not just about the competition in and of itself - but dealing with the psychological stress of the competitive environment.

A really good observation was made by Carlos Valente about competitions - it's a controlled environment where you can confront similar pressures to real self-defence situations. The adrenalin dump, the uncertainty, the lack of knowledge about your opponent etc etc. One thing about competing frequently is that you become more accustomed to these pressures and you begin to handle them more effectively - and most importantly more calmly.

And this really is the MOST effective way of dealing with these pressures - that is, exposure. You can speak to a sports psychologist all you want and train non-stop etc but you wont be more prepared for a tournament than someone who's been there before.

3) She did go to the tournament (as mentioned above) and won her first (and only) match. She had a great time participating and supporting her team.