Heavyweight Championship Reign

Do you think that it pains Dana that the UFC has not had much stability in its most prestigious weight class; Heavyweight? By most prestigious I'm talking in terms of combat sports, in boxing that is the crown jewel, to be amongst the names Dempsey, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, Louis, etc. And Dana being a boxing fan has to realize that a reigning champion could really help out the division and promotion.

Do you think the constant turnover hurts or helps the UFC and the Heavyweight division?

Would you rather see a reigning King or a slew of 1 or 2 fight champions?

Who do you think has the potential to reign for a long period of time?

Edited for layout

I used to think that people just wanted a dominant guy for every weight class, now I don't think that as much as I used to.

What people want is a field of skilled fighters and dramatic fights, something that was missing in the 'Tim Sylvia' era. 

We have it now, and though it would be nice to have a dominant champion you can easily build a storyline around how good the fighters are now. Good enough that the belt can change hands with every fight.

ABE FROMAN - I used to think that people just wanted a dominant guy for every weight class, now I don't think that as much as I used to.

What people want is a field of skilled fighters and dramatic fights, something that was missing in the 'Tim Sylvia' era. 

We have it now, and though it would be nice to have a dominant champion you can easily build a storyline around how good the fighters are now. Good enough that the belt can change hands with every fight.<br type="_moz" /> 

Dana would kill to have a dominant and more importantly sellable champ in every weight class. He's fine with fluidity when guys like Edgar and Cruz who nobody cares about have straps. But I promise he's A-OK with guys like St. Pierre, Silva, and ideally Lesnar holding a strap for years on end. Jon Jones is building toward this category as well.

jjj2121 - 

Dana would kill to have a dominant and more importantly sellable champ in every weight class. He's fine with fluidity when guys like Edgar and Cruz who nobody cares about have straps. But I promise he's A-OK with guys like St. Pierre, Silva, and ideally Lesnar holding a strap for years on end. Jon Jones is building toward this category as well.
I think Dana feels that way, in fact it was pretty obvious that he wanted Velasquez as that champion. I was referring to the fanbase. I don't know if people care so much about 'one guy' as the UFC does.

In fact, it might create a situation where the UFC actually puts promotional muscle behind multiple fighters, who knows?

TSMontana - I think the fans want a "Mike Tyson"...a guy that can go in there and either KO or submit his opponent with vicious efficiency. 
JDS 'Mike Tyson'd pretty damn well at UFC FOX to the tune of a lot of fans dissing the event. 

ABE FROMAN - 
jjj2121 - 
I think Dana feels that way, in fact it was pretty obvious that he wanted Velasquez as that champion. I was referring to the fanbase. I don't know if people care so much about 'one guy' as the UFC does.

If we're talking about casuals and fringe fans (3-4 show a year types) I think it's important to have established dominant names to headline cards with.

You, me, and the rest of the hardcores who like this enough to post on a message board dedicated to the sport can get stoked about a JDS/Alistair Overeem HW title fight, but that's not moving the needle like a Lesnar PPV is.

Hardcores - want good fights
Casuals - need sexy dominant names
UFC/Promoters - want casuals to buy, want sexy dominant names

ABE FROMAN - 
TSMontana - I think the fans want a "Mike Tyson"...a guy that can go in there and either KO or submit his opponent with vicious efficiency. 
JDS 'Mike Tyson'd pretty damn well at UFC FOX to the tune of a lot of fans dissing the event. 

Tyson knocked people out cold, i.e. falling flat to the canvas (obvious KO) JDS knocked him down and one of 20 hammer fists put him out for a second or two and that was obvious to only a few that's why everyone cried early stoppage. I know I saw him go limp for a second so i thought it was ok but JDS wasn't close to a Tyson KO.

TheOne - 

Tyson knocked people out cold, i.e. falling flat to the canvas (obvious KO) JDS knocked him down and one of 20 hammer fists put him out for a second or two and that was obvious to only a few that's why everyone cried early stoppage. 
Uh, ok.

jjj2121 - 

If we're talking about casuals and fringe fans (3-4 show a year types) I think it's important to have established dominant names to headline cards with.

You, me, and the rest of the hardcores who like this enough to post on a message board dedicated to the sport can get stoked about a JDS/Alistair Overeem HW title fight, but that's not moving the needle like a Lesnar PPV is.

Well thought out point.

ABE FROMAN - 
jjj2121 - 

Well thought out point.

Appreciated, as I think your posts have been as well (as per your usual). I think UFC 136 was a PERFECT example of this. UG threads had it pegged as card of the year, it sold under 300k PPV's...