Helio Gracie on boxing..

From 2001 Playboy (Brazil) Interview...

"PLAYBOY: After jiu-jitsu, what sport is most effective for self-defense?

HELIO: Boxing. It has only one defect. It takes a long time to be able to knock out an adversary {to develop the skills]. You have to hit him first. But a good boxer, in a fight, is excellent. Now, to be a boxer you have to train a lot. In jiu-jitsu, 40 classes with me are sufficient, two times a week, to subconsciously assimilate everything.."

Helio is correct

So why does it take 10 years to get a black belt in GJJ

true dat

I think he means to defend yourself and pretty much negate almost anything an untrained person may throw at you.

Proficiency and mastery are two different things. 10 years wouldn't be the norm in obtaining a black belt, probably 6 years.

Does everyone agree that boxing takes such a long time to get good enough to stun an untrained guy? I'm not sure I do.

Actually i agree with this... i think anyone can be trained to be a decent grappler in an appropriate amount of time.... but ive seen guys work forever and theyll NEVER be good strikers lol... i fermly belive that to be a great boxer ya have to 'have it' in you or you dont

"Absolutely untrue. Most good boxers i know can't grapple."

LOL well, were they taught grappling???

"i think he means to get to blue belt." exactly. it takes time to get proficient at the skills required. Just like boxing. it takes 2+ years to get proficient at the basics, so give the boxer two years.

Helio is correct. I also believe the late great Carlson Gracie had much respect for boxing.

If he had so much respect for it and it's value why do the Gracies in general have such weak boxing?

"Helio is right, another thing worth mentioning too is physique, thats something that plays a bigger part in boxing than in JiuJitsu."

This is completely wrong. The notion that size is somehow a minimal factor in BJJ is moronic. If anything I'd say size and strength matter more in grappling.

Around UFC 2, I met Helio at the Gracie Academie in Torrance. Through an interpreter, he asked me what other martial arts I've trained in. I told him "boxing". He told me, "Learn Jiu-jitsu, but don't forget or throw away your boxing. It's very effective."

"The notion that size is somehow a minimal factor in BJJ is moronic."

I get the feeling that you haven't seen the Royler Gracie vs. Joe Moreira match yet...

original BJJ black belts=decent throws, striking, and great groundwork

I haven't seen the Royler/Moreira match, what happened and why is it relevant to the topic?

Thanks,

simpleguy

"I get the feeling that you haven't seen the Royler Gracie vs. Joe Moreira match yet..."

I get the feeling I've been doing BJJ for long enough to know that if a guy outweighs me by 100 pounds, I'm gonna have a hell of a time tapping him out if he has even the most miniscule amount of training.

"I get the feeling I've been doing BJJ for long enough to know that if a guy outweighs me by 100 pounds, I'm gonna have a hell of a time tapping him out if he has even the most miniscule amount of training."

You must not be that good then. Are you an athletic or tough kid?

"You must not be that good then. Are you an athletic or tough kid?"

LOL, blow me. I've been training for over 4 years and am one of the better blue belts at Renzo's in NYC. When it comes to guys my size (about 145 pounds), I have had very even sparring sessions with purple belts. When it comes to guys who outweigh me by 60-80 pounds (about 50% of my body weight), I can be neutralized by a decent white belt.

Now please, let me know all about your experiences with size advantages in grappling, oh learned one.