Holly Is Not Jolly

LAS VEGAS ā€“ Holly Holm has no intention of heeding UFC CEO Dana Whiteā€™s retirement suggestion following her loss to Kayla Harrison.

Holm (15-7 MMA, 8-7 UFC) was frustrated with her performance in a second-round submission defeat to Harrison at UFC 300 in April. It was a key loss in the former UFC womenā€™s bantamweight champā€™s neverending pursuit to reclaim the belt, and afterward White suggested she hang up the gloves.

Holm, 42, wonā€™t be doing that, though. She is bothered by the way the Harrison fight unfolded and is determined to get that bad taste out of her mouth.

ā€œIā€™m pissed off,ā€ Holm told MMA Junkie on Friday at UFC X Radio Row. ā€œIā€™ve lost a lot of sleep over it because I just know Iā€™m capable of more than what I performed. Thatā€™s how it goes. You canā€™t go back and change it. Youā€™ve got to suck it up, own it, and keep grinding, and move forward.

ā€œIā€™m ready to go whenever. I definitely am not ready to be done fighting. I know Iā€™m still healthy and capable. Iā€™m just mad that I havenā€™t performed.ā€

Holm, No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie womenā€™s bantamweight rankings, said she has no preference in opponent for her next fight, and, as usual, is open to taking the toughest matchup possible to thrust herself upward in the division.

ā€œIā€™m just training,ā€ Holm said. ā€œThatā€™s all I can do. Just take on day at a time. Tomorrowā€™s never promised in life or in sport. Iā€™m just training and Iā€™ll always choose to be positive and driven in my life and Iā€™ll just see what tomorrow brings.ā€

Canā€™t blame her. She makes a living kicking air and yelling kiiiiaaay. Easiest gig ever.

17 Likes

Kayla Harrison made her her bitch in her ufc debut. Manhandled her. Holly never landed a single significant strike

She should retire

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to see her boxing in the ufc. For someone with a boxing back ground Iā€™d expect to see some combinations.

7 Likes

Why doesnt she just coach?
42 and cant let go is sad and cringeworthy.
Reminds me of those old chicks at the pub, mutton dressed as lamb wiggling their arse and winking at the blokes 20 years younger than while they stink of crappy perfume and cigarettes

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind seeing her box either.

6 Likes

A while back, Holly talked about retiring from MMA early enough to have kids and start a family. But since then she prioritized her fighting career over that. So my guess is she is going to ride out her fighting career for as long as she can because thatā€™s all she has.

1 Like

itā€™s a shame she didnā€™t do that, God tier genetics wasted and no little kids to tell their friends that their mum was a UFC and boxing champion.

1 Like

Holly is always cutting up her shorts

well, genetics, supplements, and working out like mad

1 Like

Yep, better hold on to her cats and dogs and prepare to die alone!

1 Like

Is she still married to that one guy?

She may just want to leave on her own terms ie. with a win.

Divorced in 2019 and she will be 43 this year.
Could have retired years ago on the other hand it keeps her fit as an olympian.

1 Like

33 is ā€œpast peakā€ in mma. shes had a good run well past that.
i dont relly like her fights mostly, but she has accomplished a ton.

1 Like

When youā€™re suggesting the person ranked 7th in your Division should retire, itā€™s probably time to retire the division

1 Like