Holy crap the entire game has changed :o

Robobear -
Animal Mother -

You need to stop letting people get underneath you. You can't get leg locked from the bottom if the guy's hips and back are flat on the mat. 

Gospel right there. Pressure shuts down a lot.  I remember Fabio Gurgel doing an interview saying in his heyday, he showed Rickson X guard and some sweeps and set ups from X.  After pondering a few seconds Rickson said "how you gonna get under me"? Fabio said he had no answers.

In Fabio's heyday, that was ages ago when the X-Guard was still being developed. 

Fabio had no answers then, but I'd bet he has many answers for it now while Rickson is still doing the same old BJJ he's always been doing unevolved 

robbie380 -
kying418 - I totally agree with Shen.

Marcelo rarely teaches escapes specifically from leg lock positions- but he does emphasize what positions you have to be careful for- and where your feet should be.

You don’t need to play the leg lock game, but you have to be aware, and be able to impose your game on your opponent before they do it to you.

My favorite leg lock defense that Marcelo showed somewhere on Youtube is to simply make your whole entire body flat lol. Like just lie on your back with your legs extended like you are lying in bed.  It’s funny to do because it will confuse leg lock guys. 

Link?

BTW, what about the berimbolo...?

I thought that was the omega point that changed BJJ forever.

Don't really hear people talking about it anymore.

I think the berimbolo just became part of the game. If you can't stop a berimbolo you're gonna have a bad day.

Everyone has an answer, but everyone is still doing it.  It just isn't a fad. 

I find the strategies changing constantly makes it a fun sport to keep up with.  The miyaos going for TDs and and tripod pressure passing is interesting to see as the sport, opponents, and career progresses.

I believe a game should be built on solid fundamentals. Leg locks are a fundamental also imo. Once a solid game is built, even at the black belt level, you don’t stop there. Jiu-Jitsu is a never ending learning process. You can always add new techniques that fit nicely into your game and you will always have others add new techniques to their game that may be new to you that you at least need to analyze to see what the exploit and how to defend against it. It may be a technique that you want to add to your game also. In the mean time you will always be improving on your solid fundamentals also.

The biggest problem imo is when the new students don’t build a game on solid fundamentals first.

I would go with it and learn, and as you said, tap early. Don’t be that guy who tries his hardest to remain on top and not get submitted. I find that people often mistake “smashing” for just staying on top, not moving, and sweating all over you.

mideastgrappler -
Robobear -
Animal Mother -

You need to stop letting people get underneath you. You can't get leg locked from the bottom if the guy's hips and back are flat on the mat. 

Gospel right there. Pressure shuts down a lot.  I remember Fabio Gurgel doing an interview saying in his heyday, he showed Rickson X guard and some sweeps and set ups from X.  After pondering a few seconds Rickson said "how you gonna get under me"? Fabio said he had no answers.

In Fabio's heyday, that was ages ago when the X-Guard was still being developed. 

Fabio had no answers then, but I'd bet he has many answers for it now while Rickson is still doing the same old BJJ he's always been doing unevolved 

Respectfully, no.

Maybe ask Fabio’s opinion on this.

Every word Shen wrote on this thread is correct.

shen - 

BTW, what about the berimbolo...?

I thought that was the omega point that changed BJJ forever.

Don't really hear people talking about it anymore.

Funny and appropriate to this thread, today on Keenan Online’s instagram page Keenan discusses that the berimbolo doesn’t work anymore except perhaps in the lowest weight classes.

The best leglock defense I have found from the top is nonstop pressure passing, over/under, Bernardo Faria style. The more I train, the more I realize how genius that guy is. Have all of his stuff. It’s all simple, not particularly explosive technique. It’s just constant and methodical and works well on anyone.

The new leglock game has completely changed my guard passing style for the better. Made me much less complacent and zeroed in on nonstop pressure and eliminating space.

Sgt. Slaphead - 
ddk -

41 y.o. BJJ BB, been out of action for a few years. Back to training recently, and damn, I took a beating. I’ve been casually following the rise of the leg lock game while I’ve been gone, but had no idea how big a part of bjj it’s become. It seems like the game has become a race to pull guard, get inside and underneath, elevate and go after the legs. Was disheartening, to put it mildly, to discover that I have no answers for this, even against guys several belts my junior. 

Any other old(er) school guys in this situation? Should I concentrate on learning the leglock game from the ground up, or stick with ignoring 50% of the human body like the stubborn man that I am and try to defeat these youngsters with old man BJJ? 

Help. My knees and ankles hurt.

"...the game has become a race to pull guard, get inside and underneath, elevate and go after the legs."

This is why jiujitsu is such a shit sandwich. Jiujitsu was a grappling figh5ing style/system, but now is a specialized game of faggotry. Just imagine where many in jiujitsu would be, and how the style would have evolve and improved, if peope actually pursued developing a broader skillset.

not aimed at OP......But how fucking pathetic is our style where advanced belts (even black belts) cant competantly perform a decent takedown or throw, or clinch, but can do all manner of monkey-fuckery. Much less actually fight in any real sense.

i feel what you are saying 100 percent but the truth is it boils down to $$$ there is more cash and a better life for pro grapplers now that aspiring mma guys trying to put thier skills to work in the cage vs cross trained athletes…

sure some people still go the fight route but just tkd and judo people start doing the math and start saying why bother with all this adversity when i can be king of my castle building and developing the art i know??

nothing stopping the fighters from taking jiujitsu to the next level in terms of mma but the best athletes are no longer aiming for the ufc or mma … for the most part

aboveandbeyond - The best leglock defense I have found from the top is nonstop pressure passing, over/under, Bernardo Faria style. The more I train, the more I realize how genius that guy is. Have all of his stuff. It's all simple, not particularly explosive technique. It's just constant and methodical and works well on anyone.

The new leglock game has completely changed my guard passing style for the better. Made me much less complacent and zeroed in on nonstop pressure and eliminating space.

In particular, if you want to avoid leglocks, you can get around all but the most esoteric ones by gluing your forehead to your partner's collarbone in all positions. 

Wating for youtube videos of real street fights where someone uses a leglock...

jrrrrr - 

Wating for youtube videos of real street fights where someone uses a leglock...

Leg lock in street fight - YouTube

I honestly think we’ll start seeing more of these soon...

Whoops, Speedking9 beat me to it.  Not surprisingly, he’s fast!

Stephan Kesting -

I honestly would prefer to see bjjers actually able to clinch and throw/takedown competantly.

LOL?

Stephan Kesting - 

I was actually more rattled to see that my favorite Single Leg counter --hug body & try to lift them straight up off the ground-- didn't work.

I could have sworn that  was an unstoppable counter! --It's the centerpiece of my new "SingleLeg Secrets" DVD.

I dunno, if that doesn't work, then all is lost.

You shamelessly stole that counter from Sensei Bob Sapp.

Actually... isn't that pretty close to Karelin's move?