Homer “The Rock” Moore & RITC

Note: The opinions expressed herein are solely those of the writer.

In response to this request “We need some Homer Moore stories!” from “Carson’s Corner Radio Show”. If this is indeed Bob Carson please note that I enjoyed your shows when I was a regular listener.

Homer “the Rock” Moore was a wrestling superstar. He attended the Arizona wrestling power house Maryville high. Homer won the 1992 National Junior College Athletic Association NJCAA Collegiate Championship. He was a resident athlete at the United States Olympic Training Center in the mid '90s and an alternate on the 1996 Freestyle Olympic wrestling team.

Homer amassed a 26-9-2 mma record over a 15 year career, appearing once in the UFC, losing to former UFC Champion, the late Evan Tanner by submission.

Homer fought for me in Rage in the Cage from 1999-2006 with a record of 23-3.

First, allow me to address natural verses PED. I totally believe Homer was a natural athlete. Nothing I ever saw him do would have me believe otherwise. Plus at one RITC weigh-in he stripped to nothing, at a bar without a towel, in the open to make weight. I did not watch but I assume he wouldn’t do that unless he was proud of his “junk”.

Homer was very mild manner and spoke very similar to Mike Tyson, something you would not expect. To survive, Homer did the best could with what God gave him. He always treated me with utmost respect and for that I thank him.

In January 2009, Moore was the first ever to win the Ultimate World Heavyweight Championship of Art Davie’s XARM. It was around that time that he converted to Judaism and it seemed strange to see him sporting a yamaka and hear him speaking some Yiddish.

This story takes an interesting parallel. “Sammy the Bull” Gravano, with supposedly 19 “hits” to his credit joined the Witness Protection Program in Arizona in 1994. In 1995 he boldly exited the Program. Soon he partnered with Michael Papa, head of the Devil Dogs gang, and they were grossing $500K per week with their ecstasy ring. Michael Papa had a 1-0 RITC record and another leader, Jovan Isailovic also had a 1-0 RITC record.

In 2002, forty-five gang members were arrested on drug charges. Sammy received a 19 year prison sentence and is expected to be released in 2019 ( at age 74 ). Homer was NOT arrested as part of this gang.

Homer was arrested in 2014 and charged with first degree murder in the 1999 killing of a drug dealer. He spent almost two years in jail before the District Attorney dropped the charges (without prejudice). Obviously there was little evidence after 17 years. The Arizona Republic indicated there was a wire tap between Sammy and Homer where Homer said “I won’t rat anybody out”.

It is just my opinion, but I like to think that Homer did not have anything to do with the murder but may have some hearsay evidence regarding it. It’s very easy to see how this could have transpired.

I wish “The Rock” nothing but the best now at age 45.

bumpity bump for some AZ history

Holy shit.I always wondered what happened to him.

Other than Homer being natural I agree with you 100%.

Hi Judge - I do believe he used recreational drugs because he was always "clubbing" and womanizing but again, only my opinion, not PED's because he maintained his physique over 25+ years.

. Phone Post 3.0

Hmmmm - must admit that this picture does make Homer look suspect of using PED's. Good 3 minute highlight clip on bottom.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/homer-moore-onetime-ufc-fighter-arrested-in-1999-cold-case-murder-6628085

He always seemed like a good guy the times I met him. I was pretty surprised to hear he was charged with murder. Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Homer used PED's. Phone Post 3.0

Hi Ray - you would know. The link to the picture I posted sure looks like it. He was more "buff" than the late Kevin Randleman.

Hi Ray - I remember back in 2005 when the late Marc Zee, your former trainer, went forward with his match up in RITC against Homer despite being ill. I was utterly shocked that he didn't pull out which was so common in those days. Homer won by decision over a "weakened" Marc Zee. That show was at Glendale Arena where you won by submission despite giving up 31 pounds ..... ahh the memories : )

Granted, I am now waaaaaaaay out of the Az MMA circle, but I didnt hear of Zee's passing. What happened? If it's anything that you don't want on the UG, PM me. He was always great to me. Especially  the time I was at his gym and Elbe thought I was sent as a spy. LOL. Then again, that was the old Ray. The get us kicked out of Mecca Ray. The Ray I saw at UFN was a mature, thoughtful man. 

Sorry, Ptrizzel for the hijack. Homer is def 1 of the most interesting people of that era. Glad he is out. 

Marc Zee passed in August 2012. I am not sure exactly from what.

RIP MARC

ttt

ttt

JPet - Hi Ray - I remember back in 2005 when the late Marc Zee, your former trainer, went forward with his match up in RITC against Homer despite being ill. I was utterly shocked that he didn't pull out which was so common in those days. Homer won by decision over a "weakened" Marc Zee. That show was at Glendale Arena where you won by submission despite giving up 31 pounds ..... ahh the memories : )
The Glendale shows were big. My favorites were at Pinal Fairgrounds. It was like turf warfare. It was pretty funny. Phone Post 3.0

jju - ahhh YES .... more memories. Casa Grande vs Coolidge vs Eloy vs Florence. 40% Hispanic area. I rarely knew whether it was a grudge match or an ordinary match up ( but I usually figured it out by the audience reaction during the fight ). Quite surprised we never had a riot at Pinal Fairgrounds and I must say the fans there ALWAYS behaved themselves during these highly charged shows.

RITC was an era of Mma, not many promotions can say that.

Do the new owners still do events? Phone Post 3.0

Ray Elbe - Homer used PED's. Phone Post 3.0
This. Come on. Lol Phone Post 3.0