How BJ Penn can win against Fitch next time

If rumors of this re-match is true, then BJ Penn definitely has a tough fight on his hand. The draw in the first fight was justifiable under the 10-9 scoring system, but IMO Jon Fitch was CLEARLY the better fighter.

The betting odd for Penn-Fitch II would reflect this reality once it gets released.

That said, here's how BJ Penn can maximize his chances of winning.

I think his approach in the first fight was awesome. Jon Fitch has mediocre TDD for a wrestler. Fitch's take-downs and top control are fantastic, but if you take him down first, then you can negate that strength of his.

You could argue Fitch would be ready for that kind of approach next time, but even if he knows, I think BJ can still secure the take-down. Push Fitch against the cage, dirty box a little (which worked well as he inflicted some damage on Fitch's face in Rd 1), and then put Fitch on his back.

What Penn should do differently from the first fight is...once he secures the take-down, he should not go for Fitch's back like last time. Remember BJ Penn easily passed Fitch's guard and got Fitch's back and threatened with his patented rear naked choke attempts. But Fitch avoided all that and turned right around - and put Penn on his back.

Penn should make good use of his excellent top control, but be conservative by not going reckless with submission attempts (which leave you vulnerable to losing dominant positions). Just Lay-n-Pray and let Fitch have a taste of his own medicine.

Penn via 29-28 decision. War BJ!

What BJ should NOT do:

1) flying knees (got taken down immediately because of it in Round 2)

2) Don't go for rear naked chokes that have the potential to let Fitch reverse the position. BJ Penn takes down Fitch in Rds 1/2, yet he loses those dominant positions after he gets Fitch's back.

Just stay conservative BJ, for once! I know you are an aggressive fighter who goes for the finish, but Fitch is ONE guy against whom you should exercise a little bit of discipline.

The fact that he's a small 155 lb fighter who fought the clear #2 170 fighter in the world to a draw shows what a true OG that BJ Penn is.

Grappling = Gassing

For BJ anyway

I say BJ should keep it on the feet and pick him apart with his hands. Of course it's easier said than done against Fitch.

Ansari - Grappling = Gassing
For BJ anyway

I say BJ should keep it on the feet and pick him apart with his hands. Of course it's easier said than done against Fitch.

Fitch makes it hard to keep the fight standing even if you have good TDD like BJ.

That's why he should approach the fight like he did in the first fight, with a few tweaks once he secures those take-downs (see OP)

jjj2121 -  The fact that he's a small 155 lb fighter who fought the clear #2 170 fighter in the world to a draw shows what a true OG that BJ Penn is.

Agreed. He's fought Machida, GSP (x2), Matt Hughes three times (even though Hughes was way past prime in the third fight).

You've got to respect BJ for fighting above his natural weight class.

And despite the size disparity, BJ Penn is more than capable of beating Fitch provided that he changes aforementioned things. I'd like to see him get a crack at other top WWs...but after he settles the score with Fitch.

Penn has to do more face punching, and less grappling with a much larger and stronger man. I was very impressed by what BJ got accomplished in the first fight, i thought fitch would just pin him down for 3 rounds. I am biased though, i think BJ will win any fight he enters, at any weight. PENN FAN FOR LIFE.

Work TDD, accurate strikes.
Make Fitch work for nothing, outpoint him.
Going to be hard to knock him out but who knows.

It's hard to imagine Penn being conservative or doing LnP. It might be smarter strategically but can't see him doing it.

jamiee - 
jjj2121 -  The fact that he's a small 155 lb fighter who fought the clear #2 170 fighter in the world to a draw shows what a true OG that BJ Penn is.

Agreed. He's fought Machida, GSP (x2), Matt Hughes three times (even though Hughes was way past prime in the third fight).

You've got to respect BJ for fighting above his natural weight class.

And despite the size disparity, BJ Penn is more than capable of beating Fitch provided that he changes aforementioned things. I'd like to see him get a crack at other top WWs...but after he settles the score with Fitch.

2 out of 3 vs Hughes.

Taking GSP to a split decision in the first fight, one that could easily have been scored for Penn.

Takes Fitch to a draw.

Those are the 3 best welterweights ever.  BJ Penn is not even big for a lightweight...what a fighter.

jamiee - If rumors of this re-match is true, then BJ Penn definitely has a tough fight on his hand. The draw in the first fight was justifiable under the 10-9 scoring system, but IMO Jon Fitch was CLEARLY the better fighter.

The betting odd for Penn-Fitch II would reflect this reality once it gets released.

I think his approach in the first fight was awesome. Jon Fitch has mediocre TDD for a wrestler. Fitch's take-downs and top control are fantastic, but if you take him down first, then you can negate that strength of his.

You could argue Fitch would be ready for that kind of approach next time, but even if he knows, I think BJ can still secure the take-down. Push Fitch against the cage, dirty box a little (which worked well as he inflicted some damage on Fitch's face in Rd 1), and then put Fitch on his back.

What Penn should do differently from the first fight is...once he secures the take-down, he should not go for Fitch's back like last time. Remember BJ Penn easily passed Fitch's guard and got Fitch's back and threatened with his patented rear naked choke attempts. But Fitch avoided all that and turned right around - and put Penn on his back.

Penn should make good use of his excellent top control, but be conservative by not going reckless with submission attempts (which leave you vulnerable to losing dominant positions). Just Lay-n-Pray and let Fitch have a taste of his own medicine.

How was Fitch "clearly" the better fighter.

Bj took his back and threatened with subs at least.

Fitch didnt threaten with anything.

BrockbackMountain - 
jamiee - If rumors of this re-match is true, then BJ Penn definitely has a tough fight on his hand. The draw in the first fight was justifiable under the 10-9 scoring system, but IMO Jon Fitch was CLEARLY the better fighter.

Seriously how in the world did anyone score the third 10-8 Fitch?

jjj2121 - 
BrockbackMountain - 

Third round strike count was 149-2 for Fitch, 26-1 in "significant" strikes.

The better question is how did judge Barry Foley have it 29-28 for Fitch.

Fitch won that fight, what BJ needs to do is mix up his offense, like others mentioned use more striking, and then try to shoot in for the TDs...he was out wrestled by a bigger guy the first time around.

Ansari - 
jjj2121 - 
BrockbackMountain - 

Third round strike count was 149-2 for Fitch, 26-1 in "significant" strikes.

If you are on top and never threaten with anything, I don't care if you land 5000 love taps, you get a 10-9.

1 I didn't like this fight to begin with, but BJ proved me wrong.

If he had a better strategy, and didn't try to waste so much energy trying to take Fitch down in the first 2 rounds then he wouldn't have gotten beaten so bad in the 3rd.

Ususally I like fighters to stay in their proper weight class, but, if this fight were to happen, I wouldn't dismiss BJ as a formidable opponent like I did in the 1st fight.

thedoom - It's easy to say a fight should do this and this but sometimes that just isn't a guy's style and they'd be better of playing into their strengths. I think Penn should go back down and actually use his takedowns and top control at lw than bother with this Fitch rematch
Edgar was as squirmy as a squirrel when BJ took him down. I have a feeling the top LW fighters will have a better chance escaping his submission attempts, but who knows.

daba - It's hard to imagine Penn being conservative or doing LnP. It might be smarter strategically but can't see him doing it.

This. He needs to rattle his opponents with punches and elbows standing or with GNP in order to make them slower and more prone to getting submitted. It's unlikely we will see this because of his impatience, not that I blame him since it makes him a more exciting fighter. If he can, he should try an armbar instead of a choke next time.

He should hook up with Hughes for every fight from now on. BJ will help him prepare for Sanchez this fall and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't train together for the rest of their careers.

10-8 rounds are for boxing. Cause you have way more rounds to make up that 10-8. Scoring a round 10-8 in a 3 round fight is way different. Personally I think the 10 point must system is garbage, it kills mma. BJ is clearly the better fighter between the two, Fitch is clearly the better conditioned point fighter.

jamiee - If rumors of this re-match is true, then BJ Penn definitely has a tough fight on his hand. The draw in the first fight was justifiable under the 10-9 scoring system, but IMO Jon Fitch was CLEARLY the better fighter.

"jon fitch was CLEARLY the better fighter."

Hmm, better fighter? Not even close.

Bigger, and stronger? For sure.

Lay and pray alot more? For sure. Phone Post