How did Marcelo's guys do at Worlds?

Just wondering if anyone knew, I know Marcelo has a bunch of Brown belt monsters he has produced

Also any info on the Mendes brothers guys, I know They had there Purple belt Rick win gold against Edwin Najmi who than won the absolute

Thanks

Just looking at the brown belt results, Matheus and Mansh took bronze, Dillon took silver, and Dominyka took gold. Those are all MG guys. Also of course Gianni got to the black belt quarterfinals where he lost to Rafa.

I didn't see any of the matches but the MG facebook group was blowing up over the weekend with people complaining about awful ref calls, so there may have been some controversial results.

Tomato Can - Just looking at the brown belt results, Matheus and Mansh took bronze, Dillon took silver, and Dominyka took gold. Those are all MG guys. Also of course Gianni got to the black belt quarterfinals where he lost to Rafa.

I didn't see any of the matches but the MG facebook group was blowing up over the weekend with people complaining about awful ref calls, so there may have been some controversial results.

Marcos "Lekinho" (sp?) Silva took gold in his brown belt division.

What happened with John Satava? I only caught the very end of one of his matches and saw him looking fed up with the ref.

chickenscratch -
Tomato Can - Just looking at the brown belt results, Matheus and Mansh took bronze, Dillon took silver, and Dominyka took gold. Those are all MG guys. Also of course Gianni got to the black belt quarterfinals where he lost to Rafa.

What happened with John Satava? I only caught the very end of one of his matches and saw him looking fed up with the ref.

I thought Macros and Dillion closed out their weight class?

Satava lost his second match, not sure how Phone Post 3.0

Dominyka took gold at weight and silver in the absolute (brown) even though she was in a car accident before the absolute, and almost missed her division because it started two hours ahead of schedule.

Is she even 18 yet? Destroyer. Phone Post 3.0

chickenscratch - 

John got SCREWED by his ref in his match with Sebastian Bosch. The ref awarded points for a pass at the end that did not occur and John was screwed over royally. It was incompetence as even other refs who saw it said he F'ed up.

Dominkya took gold in her division and lost to Monique in the finals of the absolute (congrats to Monique on getting promoted by her husband Mario Reis after to black belt). She is 19 and the next big thing in the women's division. TC answered the rest, they all looked good.

And the refs were blowing calls all damn tourney, seriously there was no excuse for calls that I was seeing. It got so bad that Draculino in a blue belt match w one of his girls got HEATED w the judge and other judges had to restrain him as the judge screwed his girl badly w no awarding of pts or adv that were CLEAR. They need more guys like Samir Chantre, guys who actually still train and also compete, to ref instead of guys who def do not understand the modern games and are not attentive.

And Cobrinha's student Isaac got HOSED royally in his division finals matchup as well, getting a BS stalling call when he was actively defending a pass attempt from his opponent (not just holding on for dear life like others were) that cost him the gold medal. He took it a LOT better than I would have as it was one of the worst calls I have seen.

Thanks for the info!

It's funny, when I think of Grippo I don't think of him as a "Marcelo guy"', and I follow a lot of his matche

I think it's because to me, it was a strange thing he went to Marcelo's gym, of course training with Marcelo would never be a negative thing, it's just he plays nothing like what Marcelo teaches, Marcelo is more streamlined than most and has a never speck I set of things he does and teaches

Grippo hasn't changed at all that I have seen since joining Marcelo, he plays the de la riva/berimbolo game, spider, lasso, etc...pretty exclusively, Marcelo from what I gather just shows defenses to those moves

So Grippo isn't really training against the double pull, berimbolo guys like the others are, but he did go on a nice tear at the New York and Boston open, winning his division and the absolute

Well that is just it, Johnathan Sataava is the only one out of the top competitors in Marcelo's stable that plays almost exactly like him. The others may use bits and pieces but in the end they use their own style, so how Gianni plays in comparison is very normal. Plus the hallmark of a great academy is to NOT have all your people be complete clones of you as your style is based on your personality just as much as the techniques that favor your body type.

Jon Satava's loss against Sebastian Brosche:

I heavily pull for Marcelo's students, but wasn't Jon down even without the early pass call at the end?

Hunter V - 
chickenscratch - 

John got SCREWED by his ref in his match with Sebastian Bosch. The ref awarded points for a pass at the end that did not occur and John was screwed over royally. It was incompetence as even other refs who saw it said he F'ed up.

Dominkya took gold in her division and lost to Monique in the finals of the absolute (congrats to Monique on getting promoted by her husband Mario Reis after to black belt). She is 19 and the next big thing in the women's division. TC answered the rest, they all looked good.

And the refs were blowing calls all damn tourney, seriously there was no excuse for calls that I was seeing. It got so bad that Draculino in a blue belt match w one of his girls got HEATED w the judge and other judges had to restrain him as the judge screwed his girl badly w no awarding of pts or adv that were CLEAR. They need more guys like Samir Chantre, guys who actually still train and also compete, to ref instead of guys who def do not understand the modern games and are not attentive.

Why wasn't it a pass? It wasn't mount(or really any normal position) but with the video posted it looks to me like he's completely cleared Jon's hips/legs and has him flat on his back.

He didn't clear as john still had his leg and Sebastian was not in a secure spot, therefore its not a pass so no points should have been awarded. Points can only be given for getting to established control positions when you are passing. Ollie made the wrong call here (and shouldn't be lumped into when I called out other judges who don't use the modern games so have no clue how to really score them). It shouldn't have counted as a pass at the end of the day by the letter of the rules but it is what it is.

Rick Slomba trains at Atos with the Mendes Brothers

So glad Danis took gold at brown, now he can show the world what he's made of.  He'll start destroying black belts right out the gate

Hunter V - Well that is just it, Johnathan Sataava is the only one out of the top competitors in Marcelo's stable that plays almost exactly like him. The others may use bits and pieces but in the end they use their own style, so how Gianni plays in comparison is very normal. Plus the hallmark of a great academy is to NOT have all your people be complete clones of you as your style is based on your personality just as much as the techniques that favor your body type.

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought they play a lot of 1legX, not a lot of spider, dlr, RDLR, berimbolo, etc...

Grippo is like the exact opposite of a Marcelo game, that's why I said when I watch Grippo I forget he trains under Marcelo now

It's not a bad thing, it's just an observation

Hunter V - And Cobrinha's student Isaac got HOSED royally in his division finals matchup as well, getting a BS stalling call when he was actively defending a pass attempt from his opponent (not just holding on for dear life like others were) that cost him the gold medal. He took it a LOT better than I would have as it was one of the worst calls I have seen.

Did that really cost him the medal?? I saw that match live and thought that Marcio was winning on passing advantages anyway. Even if it was tied, I don't think he would have won a ref decision anyway.

Alumynabjj - It's like 10 minutes in, towards the end of the first match in the video.

On a separate note, Sebastian has an awesome style and apparently he sent some sort of message to Lloyd Irvin calling him out or something so he's A-OK in my book.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Seb Brosche
It's great he posts his matches online and his passing is awesome. He's had underwhelming results this year (no golds or silvers at Euros, World Pro or Worlds) - for him as he has a wardrobe full of gold and this is his second year at brown

Also it's weird that he doesn't even do bjj once a day when all these other top browns are doing 2-3 sessions per day. Phone Post 3.0

Yanni Hronakis - 
Hunter V - And Cobrinha's student Isaac got HOSED royally in his division finals matchup as well, getting a BS stalling call when he was actively defending a pass attempt from his opponent (not just holding on for dear life like others were) that cost him the gold medal. He took it a LOT better than I would have as it was one of the worst calls I have seen.

Did that really cost him the medal?? I saw that match live and thought that Marcio was winning on passing advantages anyway. Even if it was tied, I don't think he would have won a ref decision anyway.

Yes it did. Isaac was winning 2-0  on pts. The penalty gave Marcio the 2pts to make the advantages mean anything. 

Brian McLaughlin -

So glad Danis took gold at brown, now he can show the world what he's made of.  He'll start destroying black belts right out the gate

My buddy has trained with him a few times, says he's a monster Phone Post 3.0