How do you guys deal with the lockdown in half-guard and 10th Planet stuff?

Ok, so I just got back into BJJ for about a week now after being out of the scene for many years, like 15 years.

I am only a blue belt so don’t know all the tricks but one thing that startled me was how two senior members had put me in the lockdown with their legs while I’m on the top in their half-guard. Wth, I knew what the lockdown was and had actually used it myself years ago as a unique fringe move that nobody else knew but it looks like it’s common place now in BJJ? And this is not even a 10th Planet gym either. I felt like Royler against Eddie j/k.

So now I have to watch videos on how to prevent and escape from this position. I’ll tell you, the difference now versus training 15-20 years ago is that we have everything at our fingertips now. I remember back in the day, I would be repeating the same stupid errors for months and only learn when the instructor taught it to me, and tbh, the knowledge and instruction back then was very basic and not up to par with today’s black belt standards. We were being taught by blue and purple belts back then, hindering our progress.

I feel like I’m learning the game all over again but with the advantage of having unlimited resources at my disposal now, it’s just a matter of finding the time to learn and practice all of these moves.

Another difference now is that the good instructors actually teach us the true principles of body mechanics, which was lacking in the olden days where they would teach you just the techniques.

Just some musings from someone who has come back into the game after being out for so long…

2 Likes

If my right leg is trapped in their half guard I have my knee bent so they can’t access my lower leg to get the lockdown.

If they do get it I lift my trapped leg at the knee which lifts both their legs with it, my other left goes under all three legs which allows the trapped leg to be freed. I then keep that leg away from the lockdown.

3 Likes

And to your other point I find myself finding solutions to my problems by watching matches far more than by looking up a resource. Despite how much info is out there these days.

Thanks, I’ll have to work on these prevention/escape mechanisms sooner than later.

Also, I’m only a purple belt.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll try to add watching matches to my development plan, thanks.

Just squeeze their head as hard as possible until they tap.

6 Likes

Wrist lock them.

1 Like

another preventative approach

say my right left is in their 1/2 guard. As soon as its going in their 1/2 guard, I pull my right heel up towards my butt so my right calf is more at a right angle to their legs, and thus out of range for the annoying lockdown.

Their is a video somewhere of Marcelo rolling with Eddie - Marcelo hides his leg and never lets Eddie get the lockdown doing

1 Like

I do the same … just wanted to add, don’t try to climb up on opponent. Lockdown is pushing you away, so you go with it to relieve pressure.

this is all good advice…there are a couple of additional things if your leg is trapped.
You move yourself back into a combat type stance which basically ankle locks them.

Or you can lift your foot to your butt, then switch your base to face towards their legs as you do a big circle with your foot putting it near their butt like you’re going to free your knee to get 3/4 mount type thing. Once your have your base switched and your foot near their butt, they can’t get that hook… You can even threaten a guillotine as you do this, so you’ve got a real threat of 3/4 mount guillotine or a long step type of pass

1 Like

Have you tried driving either your elbows into their thighs or your knuckles into their ribs? What about heelhooks? Try those,

There’s a whole slew of videos on Youtube showing lockdown escapes and prevention. I’ll just have to test out the suggestions here and from YT to them to see which ones resonate with me the most.

Thanks guys for the tips. I realize that there will tons of hurdles along the way, just have to find solutions to them one by one.

I just rewatched the first 50 UFCs and in the first 20 or so, there are multiple instances of people using the lockdown --just instinctively, none of these guys were especially great on their back and none of them used their lock down to advance position.

One, I think it was TK (who was known for his Butterfly Guard) had long periods where he had double underhooks AND the lockdown at the same time and didn’t try to do anything with it. He just laid there like he had no concept in his head for using the lockdown offensively. I found that interesting.

1 Like

I used this a lot after seeing Ricardo Almeida demonstrate it. Only problem is even when you move perpendicular and hide your lower leg, when you move they can re enter lockdown. Often times I sprawl back which easily breaks the lockdown. Sometimes when I have a strong crossface I can tripod up and kneecut through the lockdown to side or dope mount.

Just use your feet to pummel out of the postion but make sure to stay as parallel as you can during because if they get your leg bent they can enter coyote and and you’re fucked in gi.

1 Like

I used to think that 20th planet stuff was stupid but I had a couple guys do that stuff to me and it is hard to deal with. They were bigger and longer than me. I could sometimes smash through the rubber guard or use my cardio to tire them, but if they started to Mission Control me or twist my knee with lock down I would get fucked up.

One guy actually helped me counter the moves which I appreciated so I could deal with guys like this in tournaments, which I haven’t yet

Pass on your feet, it negates a lot of the half guard/lock down.

2 Likes

Just pull guard on rubber guard fags and they’ll have no idea wtf to do lol.

1 Like

A lot would do it with the outside leg hooking the foot which basically hands over a knee slice.