How do you rank 1-3 in all time FW rankings?

Thats what Im saying, sure Volk beat Aldo…but it was Aldo with a million miles on him

Yeah Volk mos def did NOT beat Aldo anywhere near his prime. He beat Max in his prime though.

1 Like

How do we know though? People get into their prime at different times of their lives. Maybe Max is just entering it now.

Not necessarily what we’re talking about but since we’re talking about Aldo, if he somehow made a run during this comeback, and O’Malley somehow keeps the belt, does anyone think 37/38 yo Aldo can be O’Malley?

We know because Aldo was CLEARLY on the decline at that point.

Aldo has never been clearly on the decline. In his most recent fight, he had Merab going 0 for 16 on takedowns. The same Merab that just manhandled Cejudo. Aldo’s still top of the food chain unless he has declined significantly since we last saw him in MMA.

Though if you want to be technical, Aldo looked his best in WEC, where he was ultra aggressive compared to his more methodical UFC style.

His prime was beating everyone in the WEC up to losing to Conor. Decline after. Clearly

2 Likes

So his prime ended at 28 years old, despite showing no decline whatsoever? No, that’s not how it works. He just started taking some losses when he started running into people like Max, Volk and Yan.

Hahahaha!! He was fighting the best 145 lb fighters for 9 years. Smashing them. Then after the Conor loss he’s 5-6 since. There is no clearer example of “in his prime” and “on the decline”.

I think he declined since he got.to the UFC. Yea he was winning, but he slowed down exponentially and lost rd 5 vs hominids

Dang I forgot that fight. He had the Joanna forehead before she even grew a flat chest.

I would say he was still in his prime though. Being able to not be at your best and still beat the best in the world is a trait of a GOAT

I completely understand what you are saying and I don’t disagree.

However,

I just preferred jose in his wec days. Was way scarier to see. Personal preference.

145 (and 135) were new divisions that got deeper and deeper over the years. When the best competition is guys like Manny Gamburyan and Cub Swanson, it’s easier to dominate than if it’s guys like Max and Volk.

Its easier to win when the fighter is in his prime. The very best 145 lb fighters were getting steamrolled by Aldo. Just because the hype machine wasn’t there to tell fans they were amazing, doesn’t mean that they weren’t.

1 Like