How good is Liborio

My good friend ITALO trained at ATT and revived his BB from Marcus and LIBO. He introduced me as I'm a huge fan of his. We spoke and I asked many questions. He was super humble, respectful when asked about other ppl he's trained / rolled / taught etc etc.

He is extremely thick set, immensely powerful, yet gentle and caring (see the work he does with children's BJJ, including his disabled daughter).

He had the ability to turn the questions in me, making me feel good about myself.
I left feeling so happy and can say wholeheartedly that he is more than what you read.
The man has to be met in real life. Seriously guys, if you can, go meet him. Lovely man, you will not be disappointed. Phone Post 3.0

bambam238171 - I am proud to say I got my black belt from that man. I am not going to get on here and say I am this and that. But I am pretty good. He beat me up so bad one day I almost rethought my life choice of being a fighter. It was so bad it went beyond not being offensive. I couldn't even preform a defensive move. Phone Post 3.0

In his mundial match (where he won by points), despite winning he didnt exactly steamroll over his opponent. Would be fun to see him live up to the hype in competition.

TFK_Vulva Fabulous - How can you not be a fan of his? He always comes off as respectable and humble, yet you can see his competitive juices flowing and how much he cares on this season's TUF. Just listen to the passion in his voice when he starts discussing the most recent fight to the team sitting aroung him. He seems baffled when ATT loses a fight where the fighter didn't listen and never showed any urgency after knowing they lost rd1.

With all that said, I gained the most respect for him after seeing a short film/clip about him, jui jitsu, and his daughter training. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, UG'er Bobby Razak put together a great piece on Libo. 

Thanks for posting that video, ryanj... my tear ducts needed flushing.

I remember one famous bjj competitor was asked if there was anyone in the world who could possibly challenge rickson..the answer was "maybe Liborio" ..yeah but this a while ago, and story could have been a bit different from what I recall Phone Post 3.0

Didn't know the UG had a Libo thread, this is a copy/paste of my post in the bjj forum.

I had to post my recent Libo story. Got the opportunity to have a private with Libo himself in the beginning of April. Man is the nicest person I have ever met in my life, let alone Bjj. When I met him at ATT, he remembered me from a 5 minute encounter we had at the UFC fan expo a year prior (didn't expect that). Before the private we sat around just talking in general about TUF, his team, and ADCC. We go on to have a great 2 hour and 15 minute private (I was only expecting 1 hour). Afterwards we sat around bsing some more about his future plans, his family, and life in general. When I think we're done, he takes over the black belt on his waist and tells me use this to motivate you and keep training until you get your own. I actually have 1 of Libo's worn black belts. Can't lie I geeked out for a few minutes. After all that he told me and my wife to follow him to see the foundation that had just been laid for the new ATT headquarters. He gives me his personal cell and tells me to text when I got home safe (it was a 4 hour drive back at night). The man is incredible. Not going to comment much on the instruction since I'm a lowly blue belt but needless to say it was amazing.

Tboney8669 - Didn't know the UG had a Libo thread, this is a copy/paste of my post in the bjj forum.

I had to post my recent Libo story. Got the opportunity to have a private with Libo himself in the beginning of April. Man is the nicest person I have ever met in my life, let alone Bjj. When I met him at ATT, he remembered me from a 5 minute encounter we had at the UFC fan expo a year prior (didn't expect that). Before the private we sat around just talking in general about TUF, his team, and ADCC. We go on to have a great 2 hour and 15 minute private (I was only expecting 1 hour). Afterwards we sat around bsing some more about his future plans, his family, and life in general. When I think we're done, he takes over the black belt on his waist and tells me use this to motivate you and keep training until you get your own. I actually have 1 of Libo's worn black belts. Can't lie I geeked out for a few minutes. After all that he told me and my wife to follow him to see the foundation that had just been laid for the new ATT headquarters. He gives me his personal cell and tells me to text when I got home safe (it was a 4 hour drive back at night). The man is incredible. Not going to comment much on the instruction since I'm a lowly blue belt but needless to say it was amazing.
VU for sharing. SERIO what a great experience WITH a momento. Phone Post 3.0

He is seriously one of the nicest guys ever. When talking to him it's hard to imagine him being a savage on the mats as he seems the type to let u win just so you can feel good about yourself. Phone Post 3.0

This story does not attest to his skill but his kindness:

When my instructor came to the states, he made an agreement with local gym owner to teach jiu jitsu and the gym owner would be his sponsor. They agreed pay and my instructor moved here. The gym owner is scum. He ended up cutting the wages and shorting my instructor as soon as he got here. He refused to work at the gym and said he would have rather gone back to Brazil.

He called his lawyer and went over his options...scheduling a meeting with the lawyer a week later. Within the week, he didn't find any jiu jitsu based work and was planning on leaving the states. He showed up at the lawyer's office fully expecting to be making plans for a return to Brazil. He walked in, sat down and the lawyer told him his sponsor had filled out all the appropriate paperwork. My instructor asked what the lawyer was talking about and Liborio had signed all the paperwork necessary for my instructor to stay and teach. They had known each other back in Brazil and, just by chance, had the same lawyer.

shark tank - This story does not attest to his skill but his kindness:

When my instructor came to the states, he made an agreement with local gym owner to teach jiu jitsu and the gym owner would be his sponsor. They agreed pay and my instructor moved here. The gym owner is scum. He ended up cutting the wages and shorting my instructor as soon as he got here. He refused to work at the gym and said he would have rather gone back to Brazil.

He called his lawyer and went over his options...scheduling a meeting with the lawyer a week later. Within the week, he didn't find any jiu jitsu based work and was planning on leaving the states. He showed up at the lawyer's office fully expecting to be making plans for a return to Brazil. He walked in, sat down and the lawyer told him his sponsor had filled out all the appropriate paperwork. My instructor asked what the lawyer was talking about and Liborio had signed all the paperwork necessary for my instructor to stay and teach. They had known each other back in Brazil and, just by chance, had the same lawyer.
This: ^^
Love these kinds of stories. Tells me more about LIBO than any of his BJJ skills. Truly a great man.

Still in for grappling stories though. After all this is the fkn UG! Phone Post 3.0

Would love to see the battle of the men who are terrors on the practice mats and don't compete in tournaments (aside from a small handful for one participant): Liborio vs Danaher. John is a just a sponge and offers a wealth of knowledge and communicates said knowledge almost effortlessly.

FrankGotch - Would love to see the battle of the men who are terrors on the practice mats and don't compete in tournaments (aside from a small handful for one participant): Liborio vs Danaher. John is a just a sponge and offers a wealth of knowledge and communicates said knowledge almost effortlessly.
VU just for your screen name sir. Phone Post 3.0

Thought this said how good is your libido Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

TTT

Initial slapping of the five has been in my head since this thread in 2015 

1 Like

He’s a very endearing person. I only met him once and he has a very hard grip. He shakes your hand and only says his last name, at least back when I met him.

1 Like

TTT 

1 Like