How good would prime Tim Sylvia be today?

I think a prime Tim Sylvia with designer roids could be a top 10 fighter, but not champ.

I don’t think he beats Gane, Pavlovich, Aspinal.

I actually think he has a shot at Jon Jones if he can keep him at the end of his punches.

I think he beats Tyburia, Volkov, Curtis finds a way to lose. I think he beats Spivac and maybe Jailton.

Tuivasa and Derrick Lewis are coming flips,

He was not the greatest at keeping people at the end of his punches. Randy kept clipping him with the same combo while having a significant reach disadvantage.

That was fat Tim. Lean Tim was better

I don’t think Sylvia is top 10 today.

Best wins were Ricco, Arlovski and Telligman.

Sylvia only gets credited as a champ who defended a UFC title because all the best HW’s were in PRIDE when he won and defended his belts.

In 2004 when Sylvia fought Mir for the title after he was striped of the title for PED’s in 2003… I think the UFC had like eight HW fights that entire year. Their HW division was about dead when he was on top.

He could be top 15 for sure because Chris Daukaus is somehow ranked there. I know he is dropping to 205, but Daukaus and maybe Rozenstruik would be the only guys I would be pretty confident in him beating.

Lean Tim doesn’t get his arm broke

Fat Tim seemed like a different fighter, he was an oaf just off balance and lumbering. Lean Tim was a violent giant

Fun fact, when Sylvia fought Buentello for something called the PWP HW title in Irvine in 2010… they raised the HW limit to 275 lbs.

Sylvia was big and tough but I don’t consider him one of the twenty greatest HW’s in MMA history.

Arlovski has been top 10 at 40+

I love Andre. I wish they gave him easier fights

Crazy, he’s tied for 2nd in title wins in UFC, I get HW was a bit stronger outside UFC but that alone should make him top 10 ever.

They should have made the weight limit tree fiddy

2 Likes

Not quite. He is 44 now and 6-4 since turning 40 but didn’t beat anyone in the top 10. Was 1-4 approaching 40.

As far as I can tell he was ranked like 13, 14 15 in the 4th quarter of 2018.

hmc_original

Top 10 ever in just UFC or MMA overall? In terms of ability or achievement?

I can’t see him anywhere close to top 10 HW’s ever in terms of ability. He was just a HW who was one of the top 3 HW’s in the UFC when 90% of the best HW’s were fighting in Japan, IMO.

That was also Tim with either a back injury or coming off sugery. Randy even said the only reason who took the fight was he knew Tim would be really slow because of it.

Smart man!

Heavyweight shouldn’t have a limit.