How many BJJ black belts + PhD?

Just curious how many BJJ black belts have legit PhDs (no online BS)?

Off the top of my head: Rhadi Ferguson, Bruno Ferndandes, John Frankl, Geoff Aitken.

I'm sure there are more.

1 Like

John Donaher (sp?)??

kcbjj - John Donaher (sp?)??

Danaher has a Masters from Columbia.

TheParrot - Respected forum members TPK and Steve72 have doctoral degrees.

But not PhD's (at least I don't think either does), which was the OP's question.

rayonyx7 - Big Fatso, your joking right? Doctoral degrees are Ph'ds....

Incorrect.

PhDs are doctoral degrees, but not all doctoral degrees are PhDs (e.g., MDs, JDs)

1 Like

Online degrees are not respected in the academic community and are basically crap, IMHO, because they are very easy to get and the curriculum is not accredited (usually). Examples would be Univ. of Phoenix, Capella, etc.

The thread speaks to the idea of the scholar-warrior and the quote: "The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

On a brighter note, I have a PhD in Industrial & Organizational Psychology from Kansas State University and just got my black belt in BJJ from Daniel "Montanha" Nycz at Gracie Barra Miami. I was curious who else had done both. If you're wondering - the black belt was far harder to achieve and means much more to me. Part of it is that it took me over 12 years to get the strap and only 4 years to get the PhD, although I do have 10 years in college total.

Andy

Jason Brudvik Ph.D Physics & BJJ Black Belt.

i don't acknowledge PhD's unless they are in the medical field or science... not political science, but physics, chemistry, etc.

the rest are jockying for props.

1 Like

Nagster5 - Dr. Ernest "Waffle" Ellinder

Camarillo BB

Oh, yeah! I can't believe I forgot about Waffle. That dood is the man!!

Well...Waffle!

Snapple, Ph.D in Computer Science.

1 Like

I personally know at least 3.

No prob snapple. I think the question was reasonably answered. There are more PhD/BBs than I thought, but it's still a pretty small group - maybe 20 or less based on what people wrote on the thread (excluding the online degrees that some have).

Alliance Atlanta-
guy A has both
guy B has a BB and is almost done with his PHD
guy C has a Brown and is almost done with his PHD

No online stuff.

There are a few guys with BB and a law degree, and I can think of one with the BB and the MD. There are also some with the BB and the chiropractic degree.

John Danaher has a PHD from Columbia doesn't he?

One of training partners is a PHD in nuclear engineering from the University of Illinois, a MD from University of Illinois Medical School, and is accomplished brown belt probabyl soon to be black belt.

1 Like

JSho - John Danaher has a PHD from Columbia doesn't he?

Philosophy

I train in KS. Montanha is my instructor that I visit in Miami when I can. Got every belt from him..

lol @ not acknowledging a phd in chinese, arabic, history, math, or whatever...you think the degree was just given away?

that makes no sense whatsoever; the fact you fail to recognize them makes them no less significant.