How many miles a week do Elite Fighters Run?

Excluding nick Diaz because he's a triathlete but I was wondering how many miles a week a fighter like gsp or Bj penn would run? Phone Post

Umm, that's hard to say.

I'd say an elite level athlete would be running around 5 miles 3-4 times a week.

Many dont run. Its not the same kind of cardio. Gsp said he only does mma training and gymnastics for cardio. Weightlifting for looks.

Running is kind of overrated. Great for the heart, but bad for the knees.

KZTT_CodyLarge -
in_different - Many dont run. Its not the same kind of cardio. Gsp said he only does mma training and gymnastics for cardio. Weightlifting for looks.

I'd love to see the source of this. A:he runs, maybe not much but I've watched him to sprints. And B: no way the sentence "I lift weights just to look good" came out of his mouth lol Phone Post

He said something like that in an interview. Not exact wording but very close Phone Post

Well the best conditioned combat athlete is Mayweather and he puts in alot of road work.

in_different - Many dont run. Its not the same kind of cardio. Gsp said he only does mma training and gymnastics for cardio. Weightlifting for looks.

Agree Phone Post

In for answers dammit Phone Post

Boxers seem to do a lot more road work than MMA fighters.

KZTT_CodyLarge - 

I'd love to see the source of this. A:he runs, maybe not much but I've watched him to sprints. And B: no way the sentence "I lift weights just to look good" came out of his mouth lol Phone Post

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/12/10/1867691/ufc-124-preview-georges-st-pierre-i-dont-believe-in-strength-and

Ahhh, yes as far as running, you are half correct. He does sprint workouts for training, but its not specifically for cardio. Explosive training. But he isn't doing long distance. That's what I meant.

And yes he does say he lift weights for looks

GSP: "Yeah, I lift weights for looks. Yeah, I am gonna admit it. Sometimes after I'm training, I'm gonna lift weights, but I'm not doing it because I'm gonna punch harder, or I'm gonna be stronger, because it has nothing to do with it. I'm doing it because you know, I want to to be like you know, have a good shape. I do it for myself."

12SixElbow - 

Boxers seem to do a lot more road work than MMA fighters.

True. Boxers are able to do more road work because they only have to focus on striking training where as MMA fighters have to do MMA sparring, striking, wrestling, ground work etc so the volume of sport specific training significantly higher.

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - i doubt that's why boxers run more.

while they don't have to train other areas like in MMA, the time is probably made up in the depth of training they do with boxing.

Of course there's other reasons for it too. Boxing and MMA are completely different sports hence the training methods are different.

MMA sparring with several partners of different shapes and sizes for MMA endurance.

Running long distance is not really for MMA endurance but is a great tool for making and sustaining weight. Phone Post

Blunderhooks - 

Kalib Starnes runs about 80 miles a week. Phone Post

LOL

There really is an issue with fighters spending too much time on strength and conditioning instead of technique. All of the top fighters have excellent technique. Most are ridiculous athletes too, but without technique they wouldn'tbe champs.

There is a reason Lauzon and Miller defeated Guillard. It wasn't running or strength training.

The answer is: NOT ENOUGH.

MMA is the only sport where even the top guys aren't physically prepared to compete for the duration for their schedeuled event. 

MMA fighters (generalising) do not spend too much time with S&C, they spend too much time with training gimmicks instead of meat and potatoes conditioning like boxers and wrestlers concern themsevles with. Put down the club/kettle bell and underwater rock and pick up your running shoes.

Every BJ Penn training vid shows him going for a light run across a field whilst throwing punches so I am going to guess he runs about 0.01 miles per day? Phone Post

Olive Garden Table For One - 

The answer is: NOT ENOUGH.

MMA is the only sport where even the top guys aren't physically prepared to compete for the duration for their schedeuled event. 

MMA fighters (generalising) do not spend too much time with S&C, they spend too much time with training gimmicks instead of meat and potatoes conditioning like boxers and wrestlers concern themsevles with. Put down the club/kettle bell and underwater rock and pick up your running shoes.

Boxers fight 3 minute rounds and have 1 minute to rest in between rounds.
Wrestling is usually 2 x 3 minute periods with 1 minute rest in between.
MMA is usually at least 3 x 5 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between.
Big difference.

I think boxers are behind the times when it comes to training. Long distance running carries little benefit to endurance for fighting.

The reality is that it is alot harder to condition yourslef for MMA than it is for straight boxing or straight grappling. Transitioning from striking on your feet to wrestling and then wrestling on the ground is much more exhausting.

Its also not true that boxers never gas. One boxer who never gets tired is James Toney and all he does is spar in training. Running is not necessary.

MMA "fans" love to discredit the fighters in any way they can though

You have to grapple... and particularly wrestle to know how much wind that takes out of you. Even after a "short" 6 minute wrestling match you're usually absolutely exhausted. The best way to gain the cardio for it is to do tons of live wrestling. Running a leisurely 3-5 mile jog isn't doing thattt much good other than sweating weight off. Wind sprints help more. Phone Post