How much training before first fight.

Whats everybodys opinion on how long you should train before your first fight. I've been traing for 6 months now and progressing at a good pace. I plan to train for another 6 months (making it a year total don't know why i felt the need to point that out)and then start looking to pick up my first ammy fight. I guess ultimatly it will be up to the coaches at the gym if they feel I'm ready or not but I'm curious how long other people treained before their first fight.

When your trainer asks if you want to fight, and you feel confident enough to say "yes."

When your trainer asks if you want to fight, and you feel confident enough to say "yes."

EDIT:
Don't go around begging your trainers to fight either, they will let you know when they feel you are ready.

Spend your next 6mos on sprawl training...that's it.

This is like the age-old questions:

"How much ass before you banner?"

or

"How little ass before you ban her?"

When you can crack those questions, I think you'll find your answer.

1 YEAR,  and that is if you are a freak of a savage.  I've seen many, many guys think tey can fight after only 6 months training and they get a rude wake up call, and usually give up mma because they rushed it.

Do it the right way, trust me come the second round, you'll wish you would've had WAY more training.

train hard and leave it to the coaches. if you dont have any back ground like wrestling or something, at LEAST a year. i would talk to your coaches about smokers. i did two smokers before i started fighting and i think they're very helpful for you and your trainers. good luck man!

i barely know you, but just by looking at you i can tell your ready.

if that sounds really stupid than go the other way & listen to your fellow roob. he may be on to something.

-MM

There is no real set time. It depends on the individual. I had my first amatuer kickboxing fight with about 3 months of training total. I did well enough to win by tko in the first round. Depends how well you are learning, how athletic you are, and most importantly how you feel mentally.

There is no real set time. It depends on the individual. I had my first amatuer kickboxing fight with about 3 months of training total. I did well enough to win by tko in the first round. Depends how well you are learning, how athletic you are, and most importantly how you feel mentally.

Oh, Brian. You're too funny!

Depends how much you're training too.  Is it one year of training three times per week, or one year of training six times a week?

I had my first amateur boxing match after 5 months of training five, sometimes six days per week.  Was ready to go earlier but we had a couple fights get scrapped last minute.  I whooped dat ass and won by RSC in about a minute. :)

Get to where you and your trainer think you are ready.

Then add 6 more months.

ammy fight? whenever you want. pro fight, whenever you and your trainer feel you are ready

I've been training for almost 3 years and I'll probably have my first amateur fight next year.

Then again I was never in any rush, I wanted to be confident and well rounded long before I fought.

depends on how much you trust the promoter or match maker to set you up with someone with a similar skill level. Just be aware that you can never trust a promoter/match maker to set you up with someone with a similar skill level, especially at the ammy level. They might have someone that is a "perfect oppenent" for you, but then that person "mysteriously" backs out, get "injured" or is "mai", which happens I would say as often as 95% of the time, then they will give you who ever is willing to fight you, which is usually a world beater. You get the living shit kicked out of you, the crowd goes wild and the promoter/match makers sell evan more tickets at their next event;) But if you are a stud and prepared to battle anyone, evan with only a as little as 1 year of training then go for it:)

I would suggest seeing a couple of the possible promotions/events you would be fighting in before committing to one, see how "evenly" matched the fights are in advanced and decide it you skill level is up to par.

Just my $0.02.

I've been to a few local fights and it seems like there is a mix of guys who rushed a little and didn't look too sharp and then some guys were fairly good. I'll probably wait awhile so I don't get my ass handed to me. I train about 4 days a week right now but I'll probably step it up when winter comes and I really have nothing else to do. I'm entering the beginner level at a no gi tourny this sat. and intermediate just cause they let you do two levels. I'm just eeger to compete in something haven't done much since high school which sux cause I always had a competitive nature.

Do a grappling event first.

So many guys I run across take fights before they even had a chance to compete in a bjj match outside their own gym.

One guy at my gym took a fight in with 6 months of training. His weight class 170. He weighed 173 two weeks prior to the event. I am a feather weight and toss him around soundly in the gym.

He was submitted in the 2nd round. Luckily for him it seems like his opponent was just as green.

I waited five years before my first fight. A lot of that had to do with being a father and active duty Navy. However I was fully prepared for my fight.

Please compete and test your nerves in a safer environment like a Naga event. Make your rookie mistakes on the mats not in the cage