How to break down opp. guard?

punch them in the nose make them worry about being hit then get guard control

Eddie's book is awesome for this.

So is B.J. Penn's sit-up guard in his new book that i've been working lately

u can also stand back up

ttt

"Eddie's book is awesome for this.
So is B.J. Penn's sit-up guard in his new book that i've been working lately" ....Eddies book is the shit..just wish I know more bout the jj....whats Penns book like?

nice

"big fan of keeping the overhooks...I find it's easier to transition with overhooks."

Same here.

"Not a big fan of keeping closed gaurd thou."

That really depends on the guy you are going against and or in what direction your school's program is geared towards.

Ours is geared much more towards self defense, and MMA.

While I am very good from my back, I would much rather simply use my guard to buy my time and get back to my feet/top, or use it to reverse the guy....submissions are secondary. There is no such thing as a guard that can keep a guy from beating you up.....even if you go on to win with a sub......hence the reason I focus on getting to top pos./back to the feet first.

Our school is also really big into the whole "pass standing" theory, and trying to keep a guy who is really good at passing from standing in your open guard is a nightmare.

Penn has a guard where he posted on one arm and drives the blade of his forearm into his opponents neck.

You go for hip bump sweep. If they post, kimura. If they duck their head low, guilliotine. If you can get past their arm, take the back. They get too defensive, very easy to push off and get to your feet (did it versus Pulver, in a way.) You just need to be aggresive with the blade of your forearm.

He also has "Damn Good guard" in the book which focuses on having an overhook on oneside and your knee in front of the shoulder on the other and it's a complete submission-fest from that position.

The book is full on MMA, but that's the guard-bottom part of the book, roughly.

"Replace "underhook and cup the back of their head" with OVERHOOK and cup that back of their head....but to each his own."

Sorry, i meant overhook.. I had underhook on my mind for the sweep.