HOW TO Go with the Flow?

What do you think takes fighters out of flowing?

How do you train to stay in flow?

(cross-posted on UG)

I can answer that for me, whenever I tense, get surprised, or lock my breath I lose what meager flow I have.

To try and stay flowing, I ordered your Flow video:)

Also, I work very hard on trying to stay relaxed and breathing. I just can't seem to reprogram myself, though:(

I know what takes me out of flowing. The friggin' IDP camp. I think i have progressed, and then i show up only to move like a stick figure with rigor mortis. In deeper examination, i could dissect several factors. Unfamiliar material, Self imposed expectations, Physical stress, etc.

getting hit.

I train to continue flowing by starting off with mild resistence and sort of chaining the movements together under a particular sphere.n With every new restart of the drill, I make sure the response is different from the previous one. I also set a certain number of moves I must do, say threee, then I will add tow more moves. This is fun because I I am working on something in particular( Like knee on diapham) I can always add that in as well.

What I find inhibits flow wiht me and my students is several factors. First, worrying about what is correct. To paraphrase yoda " there is no try, just do". They do no5t react but try to think about what "should" come next. I t4ell them that it does not matter as long as "something"comes next. Second, manynpeople fear what others will think. They worry that the rest of the group will laugh at them. It takes a while to develop a certain level of trust and ability to take criticism to develop more efficient responses. Thir, lack of self confidence in their actions

JK

Answering for my self, I find that being forced to
actually "think/focus" on technique while engaged in a
flowing event is when I fall out of the flow. Just
about any cognative process attempted while flowing seems to interrupt flow to some degree.
What I have found works for me is to design my training to be goal oriented rather than technique
oriented, so that when something doesn't happen exactly
as I planned it I seem to be able to maintain a more
"flowing" response or adjustment.
By the way Scott, I thought the flow fighting
tape was awesome.